Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014
Hatebreed -- Detroit, MI -- September 12th, 2014
We Came As Romans -- Lansing, MI -- September 11th, 2014
Accept -- Solana Beach, CA -- September 11th, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- Sydney, Australia -- September 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Children of Bodom -- Austin, TX -- February 21st, 2012

I arrived at Emo's East around 5:30 to get in line early for Children of Bodom's 15th anniversary show, finding about a dozen people in line already (and about five of them were wearing the same CoB shirt). After grabbing a Powerade from the Auto Zone across the street, I kept standing in line for an otherwise eventless hour and a half.

When we were finally let inside the venue, I went straight for the merch booth (beanies were $15 for all bands, Children of Bodom picks were $5 for Alexi signature picks, $5 for two generic Children of Bodom picks, shirts were $25 for CoB, $30 for XXL, and the prices were roughly the same for the other band's merch).

Bored, and with nothing to do, I stood by the rail, where one of the security guys pointed out my Megadeth shirt (a bootleg I found in a flea market with the "Hell Wasn't Built in a Day" artwork with the band on the back) and we wound up chatting about shit that had happened in the past - like how Dimebag broke the headstock of his guitar off on one of the poles in the venue (back when it was The Backroom), how he wound up with one of Max Cavalera's dreadlocks, how Otep would demand that no staff, bands, etc. were allowed backstage when she was there (I also heard a story later that night from a fan who wanted to hear her growl instead of an autograph - her response: "You wanna hear me growl? Go buy my CD's, go buy tickets to see me, and go buy a DVD"), and how Watain had a trailer full of roadkill they had found driving to the venue that could be smelled blocks away in the Texas heat.

...Sorry, I kind of wanted to include that.

Around 8:00, the Canadian band Threat Signal came onstage. I didn't really pay attention to them, instead choosing to stand around outside and wait for Revocation.

Threat Signal:

Trust In None
Fallen Disciples
A New Beginning
Through My Eyes
Face The Day
Comatose

As soon as Threat Signal left the stage, I headed inside for Revocation. I was vaguely familiar with their work, and had the chance to see them last year at the old Emo's, but turned it down to spend time with a couple of friends elsewhere. When the band started playing, it took exactly ten seconds for a pit to break out, where I moshed until I literally got punched in the solar plexus by someone on the rim who apparently didn't realize an open space at a metal show was going to become violent; as a result, I sat out the rest of the show.

One thing I'll never forget is that before playing Across Forests and Fjords (I think?), David summarized the song as "like Skyrim, if the dragons had titties".

Revocation:

Harlot
Age of Iniquity
Dismantle the Dictator
Across Forests and Fjords
Conjuring the Cataclysm
No Funeral

I have to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to Eluveitie, although this is mostly due to the fact that I met up with a guy who I met at a GWAR concert about three months ago and a group of people who he had met that night. We spent about half of their set outside partying, and half inside watching them play and wondering what the hell that coffin shaped instrument was. I would definitely like to see Eluveitie again sometime, and hopefully, I won't miss too much.

Eluveitie:

Everything Remains As It Never Was
Nil
Kingdom Come Undone
Havoc
A Rose for Epona
Meet the Enemy
(Do)Minion
Quoth the Raven
Inis Mona

Finally the time came for Children of Bodom. We wound up fighting our way to the front to get a good glimpse of Alexi (one of the people I was with had a mission to get Alexi's guitar pick for the guitarist of his band - I'm not sure if he succeeded or not). When the band opened with Sixpounder, the entire audience went apeshit, throwing their horns, pumping fists, and kicking the shit out of each other in the pit. As the night went on, the energy kept flowing - hell, the first words out of Alexi's mouth that night that weren't song lyrics were "Fuck yes!".

The crowd surged, the pit churned, and the fans roared in approval. Almost every song from Children of Bodom that I loved was played that night (I would personally switch out Shovel Knockout for Warheart), which made me literally shout in happiness after the show.

Children of Bodom:

Sixpounder
Are You Dead Yet?
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Kissing the Shadows
Shovel Knockout
Living Dead Beat
Everytime I Die
Deadnight Warrior / Children of Bodom
Hate Me
Blooddrunk
Angels Don't Kill
In Your Face
Lake Bodom
Hate Crew Deathroll
----
Bodom After Midnight
Downfall

After the show, I went outside by the bus to see if I could meet the band. I got a quick word in to Alexi, met Henkka and Roope, got to speak to two of the members of Eluveitie (Anna and someone else who's name I can't remember - the guy with the dreads), and saw the people loading random crap into the CoB bus (I counted three coolers, two cases of Corona, and a bottle of Grey Goose vodka - naturally paired with orange juice).

I didn't feel like waiting for Alexi to (maybe) step out of the bus, so I decided "fuck it" and just went home. Honestly, this was one of the coolest shows I've seen in a while. If you're a huge Children of Bodom fan and you get the chance to see this tour, fucking go. You won't regret it.
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 AM
N00B

Good CoB setlist !
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM
...the dead are among us!

Great review. I was there last night as well. I swear that Revocation opened with something other than Harlot, because I was expecting it as the first song based on other set lists, but it was definitely the second one last night.

I got there at the very end of Threat Signal which was perfect timing. Revocation was awesome as always. Eluveitie didn't do too much for me, but the crowd was into them it was pretty fun. I went over to Beauty Ballroom to have a shot and a beer with a friend before heading back for Bodom. Great fun all around. I think there were only about 4 newer CoB songs that I didn't know, the rest of their setlist was perfect.

Last edited by smearCampaign; 02-22-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

monday !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

I am ready for Monday!! Woo-Hoo!!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Great review. I was there last night as well. I swear that Revocation opened with something other than Harlot, because I was expecting it as the first song based on other set lists, but it was definitely the second one last night.

I got there at the very end of Threat Signal which was perfect timing. Revocation was awesome as always. Eluveitie didn't do too much for me, but the crowd was into them it was pretty fun. I went over to Beauty Ballroom to have a shot and a beer with a friend before heading back for Bodom. Great fun all around. I think there were only about 4 newer CoB songs that I didn't know, the rest of their setlist was perfect.
I didn't pay much attention to Revocation's set since I was in the pit for a good chunk of it, so I was expecting it to be a bit wrong. Hell, if they had played their cover of "Pull the Plug", I would have ignored the pain in my gut and jumped right back in.

Random question: Are you going to head to WTF Fest in March, or is that something you're going to skip?
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
I didn't pay much attention to Revocation's set since I was in the pit for a good chunk of it, so I was expecting it to be a bit wrong. Hell, if they had played their cover of "Pull the Plug", I would have ignored the pain in my gut and jumped right back in.

Random question: Are you going to head to WTF Fest in March, or is that something you're going to skip?
Since I can walk to there from my house I think I probably will check it out unless something else more compelling comes up during the day that day.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
N00B

Why did you show up so early if you didn't even care about the openers, and didn't care about staying on the front rail the whole time either? Odd.
Mineral-9/6
Joyce Manor-9/15
Uncle Acid-9/26
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
N00B

Looks like you had a great time! am looking forward to this show in my area in a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with the other dude about why show up early and not get in the front ?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
Why did you show up so early if you didn't even care about the openers, and didn't care about staying on the front rail the whole time either? Odd.
I was on the rail to the side, AKA that place where the sound sucks the most and where it doesn't matter if you leave or not because no one is going to steal your place. Trust me, if I had a front row rail spot, I would have defended that shit with my life.

And I really didn't care for Threat Signal, and I liked Eluveitie and Revocation, but I needed a moment to catch my breath after the solar plexus shot. I made the mistake of not doing that at a Dethklok concert in 2009, and it hurt to breathe for at least three days afterward.
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Tags
children of bodom, eluveitie, revocation