Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Van Halen- A Different Kind of Truth

I didn't think they could do it.

Holy motherfucking entire dictionary of racial ephitets, never have I been so glad to be wrong.

I never get excited about new music, even by classic artists. Partially because the modern musical landscape has been raped by Nirvana gone pop and over-afro-centric sensibilities, and partially because its a bit more interesting to dive into the past to see what you've been missing. Honestly if an new album is really that good I'll cross paths with it eventually.

In 2007 Eddie Trunk made me one of the biggest David Lee Roth era Van Halen marks on the planet. So much so that I felt like a complete nimrod for missing not only one, but two opportunities to see the "reunited" band trotting out one of the greatest rock & roll sets in recent history.

But you know what I'm not complete nimrod for?

Buying this album.

You are though, for not have bought it already and having me be a potential last village idiot to catch the boat.

Seriously, I thought at best, this would be a serviceable yet lamentable portrait of how good this band used to be, on how Michael Anthony was in fact a key tripod leg of the band and they just fall to pieces without him. We'd give 4, maybe 5 songs that would be kind of cool to hear live while we waited patiently to hear Mean Street, I'm The One and Light Up The Sky.

Instead, we have 13 song, 50 minute, 5/5 stars Van Halen album.

I repeat, WE HAVE A 5/5 STAR VAN HALEN ALBUM.

You know how you were kind of underwhelmed by Tattoo? Well really, when you study the history, can anybody honestly say they preferred Dance The Night Away over DOA and the aforementioned Light Up The Sky? Or And The Cradle Will Rock over Romeo Delight, Take Your Whiskey Home or In A Simple Rhyme? Or Jump over Drop Dead Legs or Girl Gone Bad?

Tattoo is the second weakest song on the record, and even when I heard it now I was enjoying the hell out of it, and screaming SEXY DRAGON MAGIC!

But any real Van Halen fan knows that the essence of what made them great was that they were a speed metal band disguised as AC/DC. What made them great was all sorts of lightning speed riffs that Judas Priest would be pissed for never coming up with, while Alex and Michael played top speed to match the intensity. All the while Roth struggling (and eventually succeeding) to keep up and cut through with all sorts of isms that had the jock masses incessantly repeating as if they were the ten commandements of high school.

You want fast? You want heavy? You want that 70's style of metal before 1980 came through and turned the whole thing into a mafia? It's right the fuck right here.

If there are two things I hate about the CD's capacity, its that they allow artists to be arrogant enough to think that the world can stomach more than 6, let alone 9 turds from their asshole. Even worse, the damn thing stretches out to 80 minutes, which even as concert set times for most modern acts is really stretching it. People whine about albums being too short, yet claim to have ADD can only listen to first verse and chorus of a song before having to switch over. At the conclusion of an album you should simultaneously be left wanting more, yet satisfied that the conclusion has been reached. Albums too long just have you looking at the clock praying for it to end, and no form of entertainment should ever have you doing that.

This sucker clocks in at 50 minutes and 7 seconds. There is not one single wasted riff, vocal, beat, rhythm or song on here (well, ok, Blood & Fire is up for debate). As the album started to go deeper and deeper, I kept thinking "ok, this is where the weak shit is gonna come in" only to have my head ripped off and painfully sewn back on again without any anesthetic. In vain to, as the process would repeat itself right down to the opening salvo of the closing track Beats Working.

Like I said before, I figured this thing would be an amusing attempt at proving the band is a shadow of what it used to be. Fuckin A was I wrong. Now maybe 6 months down the line, I could be anywhere from it doesn't hold up to repeat listens to "Its the best album they've released since Van Halen 1" (Of course I'm not foolhardy enough to say they will ever top that masterwork. You don't, by definition).

But right now, I can be filed under "if you don't like this, you are either a pedophile, a hipster, a brony, a Nickelback fan, or all of the above, and if 2012 really does wipe out a segment of the human race, I hope its all of you."

Welcome back boys, and stay frosty.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Yeah, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet dude. But it's sounding pretty fucking good so far. Almost unbelievably so.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

The album's decent but I wasn't overly impressed. I'd give it a 7.5.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 02-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Altars of Radness

Okay, I had pretty much written this album off after I heard Tattoo. That song just crushed any hopes for me. I mentioned liking some of the samples, but that wasn't enough to get me to check it out immediately. Well, in your review you brought up some good points, namely that most of the singles Van Halen has released are the worst songs on the album. So I'm listening to the album now. Holy shit. This is a goddamn comeback! Now it should be noted that more than half the songs on the album are reworked old songs, but still, I'm really enjoying it. And one of my favorites, China Town, isn't an old song, so that's pretty surprising. Anyway, I'm a lot more excited about seeing them live now!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Even though I don't normally do this for albums I'm gonna give this another shot, idk if I was in a shit mood or what when I heard it but I was very disapointed by this the first listen. I'll still say that Tattoo is awful & Stay Frosty is the most absurd thing I've ever heard but everything else I'll atleast give it another shot. Its VH I want to like it, I really do.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Tattoo was awful indeed, but man, this album rocks!!!!

And Wolfie's bass on She's The One is awesome.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Tattoo was awful indeed, but man, this album rocks!!!!

And Wolfie's bass on She's The One is awesome.
You mean Show Your Love?

Tattoo isn't total garbage, I think You and Your Blues is the one that really takes the cake. She's the Woman, China Town, Honeybaby... and As Is are the standouts for me. In the iPod age, I'll take an album of half duds and half zingers over ten consistently ok songs every time.

Last edited by TonyD; 02-18-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Altars of Radness

In case anybody was wondering...

Reworked old songs (all are from the '70s demos except for "Blood and Fire," which was written in 1984):

She's The Woman
Outta Space = Let's Get Rockin'
Big River = Big Trouble
Beats Workin' = Put Out the Lights
Tattoo = Down in Flames
Honeybabysweetiedoll = Act Like It Hurts
Bullethead
Blood and Fire = Ripley

New songs:

You and Your Blues
China Town
As Is
The Trouble with Never
Stay Frosty
Old 02-18-2012, 01:41 AM
That Guy

The album is badass...that is all!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
You mean Show Your Love?

Tattoo isn't total garbage, I think You and Your Blues is the one that really takes the cake. She's the Woman, China Town, Honeybaby... and As Is are the standouts for me. In the iPod age, I'll take an album of half duds and half zingers over ten consistently ok songs every time.
No.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16