Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Gilby Clarke -- London, England -- February 6th, 2012

Venue: The Underworld

Kinkade (19:30-20:00)
Man Overboard
She's Hot
Medicine Man
Paramour
Call of The Wild
? (with Adam Davey)
She Likes To Party

Guns 2 Roses (20:15-20:45)
Nightrain
Mr. Brownstone
Live And Let Die
You Could Be Mine
Sweet Child O' Mine
Paradise City

Badmouth (21:00-21:45)
Tired
City Is Burning
Son of Sam
Pedal To The Metal
Blue Ribbon Days
Radiator
Cocaine Girl
To Watch The Bridges Burn
And Take Your Toothbrush With You
Heavy Metal Parking Lot

Gilby Clarke (22:00-23:10)
Wasn't Yesterday Great
Under The Gun
Motorcycle Cowboys
Black
Be Yourself (And 5 Other Cliches)
It's So Easy
Cure Me...Or Kill Me
Dead Flowers (with Gavin Felvus)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Tijuana Jail
----------------
Monkey Chow

9/7 Sebastian Bach
11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond

Last edited by ravenheart; 02-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 AM

So yeah, Gilby was outstanding, but once again for an in-house promoted gig at The Underworld, too many support bands (including adding one at the last minute that no one attending knew about) meant Gilby could only play for 70 minutes, which even then he only managed to do by playing 10 minutes over curfew.

And people wonder why these shows are always only half-sold. One day promoters will understand that value for money means the bands people paid to see playing for a decent length of time, not several support bands no one cared about, or in many cases even knew about, filling up the evening.

Support bands have their place, but one at a time. If people only paid to see Gilby Clarke, and spent longer on the night watching other bands than they did Gilby Clarke, something's wrong.

9/7 Sebastian Bach
11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM
" Amps on Ten, Ears are Bleeding "

Very interesting that there was a, I am assuming, a Guns n Roses tribute band. Were they one of those " exact replica " cover bands?

Too many openers spoils the show. By the time the headliner comes on some people have had it and usually the headliner gets hosed. I have experienced this one too many times.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 AM

Yeah, they're a tribute band. The original tour was supposed to be a Gilby co-headliner with Love/Hate, plus Badmouth opening as the guys in Badmouth are Gilby's current backing band, but Love/Hate couldn't afford the trip so backed out. Guns 2 Roses got added by the promoter, then Kinkade got added at the last minute.

G2R try to be one of those replica type ones, and musically they've got it down (lead guitarist wearing a Slash wig and hat is lame), but vocally lacking. The guy's a decent singer, but he does about as good a job of sounding like Axl as most people singing along to GN'R can do. He thinks he's the shit though. Tries to do all the manerisms (mostly ends up looking camp) and really does pretend he's fronting a big band in front of lots of people. I guess that's what you've got to do if you're going to get close to being convincing, but apart from people down the front going nuts just because they love the songs, a lot of others just weren't impressed.

Usually I find the crowd enthusiasm stays high here, even when they waited through loads of support bands. The annoyance comes when the headliner then ends up playing little more than an hour.

In this instance Gilby was just fantastic. And played all the songs I was hoping to hear (so fucking happy when he pulled out 'Monkey Chow' as the encore as I'd given up hope of hearing it by that point), except 'Alien'.

9/7 Sebastian Bach
11/7 Snakecharmer
20/7 Onslaught
30/7 King Diamond
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Yeah, they're a tribute band. The original tour was supposed to be a Gilby co-headliner with Love/Hate, plus Badmouth opening as the guys in Badmouth are Gilby's current backing band, but Love/Hate couldn't afford the trip so backed out. Guns 2 Roses got added by the promoter, then Kinkade got added at the last minute.

G2R try to be one of those replica type ones, and musically they've got it down (lead guitarist wearing a Slash wig and hat is lame), but vocally lacking. The guy's a decent singer, but he does about as good a job of sounding like Axl as most people singing along to GN'R can do. He thinks he's the shit though. Tries to do all the manerisms (mostly ends up looking camp) and really does pretend he's fronting a big band in front of lots of people. I guess that's what you've got to do if you're going to get close to being convincing, but apart from people down the front going nuts just because they love the songs, a lot of others just weren't impressed.

Usually I find the crowd enthusiasm stays high here, even when they waited through loads of support bands. The annoyance comes when the headliner then ends up playing little more than an hour.

In this instance Gilby was just fantastic. And played all the songs I was hoping to hear (so fucking happy when he pulled out 'Monkey Chow' as the encore as I'd given up hope of hearing it by that point), except 'Alien'.
Ahhhh you should have come and seen one of our own concerts 10.000+ crowds we played for our recent arena tour of India just a couple of weeks later dude!

Now THIS is where I pretend I am "fronting a big band in front of lots of people"

DEAD HORSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stsnrqoGivU

www.guns2roses.co.uk
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM
N00B

lol stop dude...just stop.
Chevelle/Middle Class Rut-8/27
Mineral-9/6
Joyce Manor-9/15
Uncle Acid-9/26

Tags
badmouth, gilby clarke, guns 2 roses, kinkade