Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Rats off to ya

5. Milo Aukerman

Bands: Descendents (1978-present)

Milo is a pretty close second for my favorite punk vocalist. In a time where hardcore punk frontmen were all tough guys and anarchist, Milo was just a nerd. He wasn't angry at the government or the police, he was angry about getting bullied and being put in the friendzone. Only their first EP and full length were really hardcore, then they went on to become one of the first ever pop punk bands. For many people (myself included) Milo is one of the most relatable frontmen in punk. He's very believable when he sings, he always sounds like he really means it. He also had a phd in biochemistry. Just thought i'd put that out there.

Example: Coolidge/Everything Sucks live at Pinkpop '97
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
7. King Diamond (Kim Bendix Petersen)

Bands: Mercyful Fate (1981-1999), Black Rose (1971-1989), Brats (1981), King Diamond (1985-present)

What can ya' say about the King that hasn't already been said? He has the highest fucking voice in all of metal and maybe even all of music. I'm totally stoked about the king's return, and recent videos show he's still got it. His ability to hit high notes at that kind of age is only matched by the next entry on this list.

Example: King Diamond - Welcome Home
In all my years of listening to him it still blows my mind what he does with his voice. Not just the high notes but all his voices. I'm not sure if he's had any training or the vocals just come natural but what he does with his voice is phenomenal.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
7. King Diamond (Kim Bendix Petersen)

Bands: Mercyful Fate (1981-1999), Black Rose (1971-1989), Brats (1981), King Diamond (1985-present)
[/url]
Black Rose was around that long? I thought they were only around a few years in the 70's

Last edited by Indestructible; 02-06-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
Black Rose was around that long? I thought they were only around a few years in the 70's
I don't know where I got the info from, just fixed it.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Rats off to ya

4. Devin Townsend

Bands: Devin Townsend band/project/whatever (1998-present), Strapping Young Lad (1994-2007), Punky Bruster (1996), Steve Vai (1993)

I strongly believe Devin Townsend is the greatest all around musician alive. There's nothing this man cant do. Vocally he's just as amazing as is he at guitar and songwriting. He can scream, he can growl, and he can sing like a fucking bird. Devy would be a great vocalist if he was only capable of one of these styles but the fact that he has mastered all these different style is godly. His booming screams he does in SYL and some of his solo works make for very brutal and chaotic songs, his soaring singing vocals are always epic, and his soft vocals you hear on albums like Ki and Ghost are beautiful and soothing. Devin often uses vocal effects in his music but live he still sounds just as good as he does on record. This man is truly one of the greatest musicians the world has ever seen.

Example: Devin Townsend - By Your Command
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Rats off to ya

3. Jello Biafra (Eric Reed Boucher)

Bands: Dead Kennedys (1978-1986), Lard (1988-2000), Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine (2008-present), and numerous collaborations throughout the 90's and 2000's.

Jello is my favorite punk vocalist and my favorite lyricist in music. Whenever you hear Jello's voice you know it's him. That, his lyrics, and the personality he brings into his music is what makes him one of punk's top frontmen. Jello is a smart dude too. His lyrics are far beyond the typical "fuck the system" kinda stuff. Trust Your Mechanic is one of the truest songs ever written IMO. Apparently there's some bullshit Dead Kennedys lineup doing tours lately but i'm not even gonna bother checking that out. With all due respects to East Bay Ray, Jello is the Dead Kennedys.

Example: Dead Kennedys - Weve Got a Bigger Problem Now
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

I've never been a huge fan of DK or very many punk bands in general, but I've always loved Jello's vocals regardless. He truly has a tremendously iconic voice. Good choice!
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Buahahahahaha

Jello is definitely a cool singer!
12/07 Pallbearer
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Rats off to ya

2. Dave Brockie (aka Oderus Urungus)

Bands: Gwar (1984-present), DBX (2001-present), X-Cops (1995-1996), Death Piggy (1982-1994)

You probably all expected this since it's no secret i'm a huge Gwar fanboy. I don't know what it is about this voice I like so much. If asked why I like his vocals so much I wouldn't really have an answer for that. I think the vocals are what really make or break the band for most people. In the 80's with Death Piggy and the first Gwar album Dave's vox were pretty much conventional punk vocals but on Scumdog's of the Universe he developed the Oderus voice. The Oderus voice went through various changes over the years. It was always more punk-ish on the 90's albums, then his vocals became more metal oriented in the 2000's. Throughout all eras of Gwar there has always been a clear punk influence in his vocal style. Maybe it's just me but I often notice influence from Jello Biafra and H.R. in his singing. In DBX he uses essentially the same kinda vocals except he's not in character as a space monster. Dave really sticks out to me as one of the most unique voices in metal and I cant get enough of him.

Example: Gwar - Rock N Roll Never Felt So Good
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
5. Milo Aukerman

Bands: Descendents (1978-present)

Milo is a pretty close second for my favorite punk vocalist. In a time where hardcore punk frontmen were all tough guys and anarchist, Milo was just a nerd. He wasn't angry at the government or the police, he was angry about getting bullied and being put in the friendzone. Only their first EP and full length were really hardcore, then they went on to become one of the first ever pop punk bands. For many people (myself included) Milo is one of the most relatable frontmen in punk. He's very believable when he sings, he always sounds like he really means it. He also had a phd in biochemistry. Just thought i'd put that out there.

Example: Coolidge/Everything Sucks live at Pinkpop '97
Fuck yeah!