Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
They do. The only thing I can't speak poorly of is their ability to play in strange time signatures. But then again that is much easier to do when there is one riff being repetitively played for 30+ bars (I counted at one point, it was getting amusing.) Mind you the riff was mind blowingly simple.

If you enjoy incessantly cyclic music with weak singing and annoying yelling into the microphone, a terrible mixture of bass/guitar tone where they are indistinguishable in terms of tone, then I suppose they wouldn't suck. Otherwise, don't hold your hopes high.
Do you like any doom or sludge or stoner? Or are you down on the genres in general? Just curious.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock91 View Post
so... I'm an idiot because I don't share the same taste in music? fantastic.
No, but you're an idiot if you think that your obvious troll wouldn't ruffle some feathers.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt11763 View Post
third'ed
fourth'ed
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM
brotuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
you're an idiot because you said a band that you personally do not enjoy sucks. music is subjective bro. (aside from emmure, they actually do suck)

NOW I'm done
yea, and it is my subjective opinion that Yob blows. Hard.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Do you like any doom or sludge or stoner? Or are you down on the genres in general? Just curious.
I enjoy some Candlemass here and there, although I wouldn't call myself a fan. And besides the occasional early Mastodon, I don't enjoy sludge. Stoner is a definite no for me. I hardly enjoy any artist that comes out that is really obscure and has that "muddy" feel to it. It doesn't do anything for me except wish for better production and songwriting. Obviously this is just tastes talking though.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
I enjoy some Candlemass here and there, although I wouldn't call myself a fan. And besides the occasional early Mastodon, I don't enjoy sludge. Stoner is a definite no for me. I hardly enjoy any artist that comes out that is really obscure and has that "muddy" feel to it. It doesn't do anything for me except wish for better production and songwriting. Obviously this is just tastes talking though.
Understandable. Though, judging by your second to last post, I feel you're judging this type of music by genres that are completely different, which isn't entirely fair. In doing so you're missing the reasons people like this type of music. The tone might sound nasty, but it's supposed to sound that way. Playing the same riff for four minutes straight isn't supposed to be technical. And sometimes it's the simplicity of the music that leaves an impression on the listener. Just listen to the last five minutes of "The Catechism of Depression" off Mournful Congregation's new album. That shit just burns its way into your mind. Playing in an odd time signature is useless to me if the music doesn't impact me in some emotional way.

Now don't get me wrong, YOB isn't one of my favorite bands out there. There are maaaany bands in their genre doing better things than they are. But I think it's important, at least before criticizing them, to understand their appeal to people who do like them (coincidentally, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of deathcore to people out there *JDcoughcough* ).

I'm really not interested in seeing them live, especially in an environment like the one on this tour. I'll give an opinion though after seeing them at Maryland Deathfest.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
fourth'ed
Fifth'ed

While I understand YOB not clicking with someone there is absolutely no reason to bash them so aggressively. Pretty much what brutal said was true, they really do not fit well with venues that size, really intimate venues are where you would benefit the most from seeing them. Even if you disliked them that much, they are not talentless as some of you put it, Mike's guitar playing is absolutely stellar. It's not how technical or complex the riffing is but how well and what he does with what he gives us. He takes one riff and stretches it to the max without growing tiresome in anyway IMO of coarse.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Understandable. Though, judging by your second to last post, I feel you're judging this type of music by genres that are completely different, which isn't entirely fair. In doing so you're missing the reasons people like this type of music. The tone might sound nasty, but it's supposed to sound that way. Playing the same riff for four minutes straight isn't supposed to be technical. And sometimes it's the simplicity of the music that leaves an impression on the listener. Just listen to the last five minutes of "The Catechism of Depression" off Mournful Congregation's new album. That shit just burns its way into your mind. Playing in an odd time signature is useless to me if the music doesn't impact me in some emotional way.

Now don't get me wrong, YOB isn't one of my favorite bands out there. There are maaaany bands in their genre doing better things than they are. But I think it's important, at least before criticizing them, to understand their appeal to people who do like them (coincidentally, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of deathcore to people out there *JDcoughcough* ).

I'm really not interested in seeing them live, especially in an environment like the one on this tour. I'll give an opinion though after seeing them at Maryland Deathfest.
Well I was never asking for technicality, as quite a few bands I listen to don't have extraordinarily complicated riffage or such. It's just the extremity of how simple it is, as I would say the same if it were over-the-top and all over the place (a strong reason why I dislike tech death a lot.) But you said it right, it's what stays with the listener, so if that simplicity works, then so be it. I certainly understand their appeal to those who enjoy them, but I find little ground to "sympathize" due to different genre tastes.

More than anything, I am pleasantly surprised at your sophisticated response, unlike most of the content that the ignoramus' post here. At the very least, thanks for contributing something that wasn't "u mad bro" or things of that nature.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
Fifth'ed
24th'ed
11/14 - Slayer
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
...the dead are among us!

Any band Tool brings on the road with them is subject to systematic hate regardless of the quality of the band, that's just how it goes. Those people came to see Tool and most are unaware of who the opening bands even are.

The Melvins, Meshuggah, Big Business, Wovenhand, Isis.... all hand picked as openers by Tool and all hated on by a significant portion of the crowd.

I've only seen YOB in tiny venues and I can't imagine an arena doing them any favors.

Tags
tool