It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 01-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Altars of Radness

Gathering of the Bestial Legion V -- Los Angeles, CA -- January 14th, 2012

After being canceled months ago the festival was finally set to happen this weekend. Needless to say, it has been a long time coming. After a few bands dropped off earlier this week I was worried the show might not go smoothly, but that was not the case. In fact, the show ended up being a blast and well worth the long wait.

When I walked into the venue Depths of Misery was playing, but I was much more interested in the numerous vendors and bands who had set up booths. I walked around to every one of them, checking out their shirts, CDs, and records trying to decide what I should buy. I was actually overwhelmed by all the awesome stuff. It was like an underground metal swap meet.

By the time I had made my purchases Depths of Misery had finished their set and Hod was getting ready to start theirs. They were decent, but I didn't like their vocalist. I noticed they had a female guitarist though, so that was pretty cool. After Hod was Divine Eve, the first band I was interested in seeing. The crowd began to fill in before they got on stage. For the first couple songs their sound was a little bit off, but after that it evened out. Their style of death and doom metal comes off incredibly heavy in a live setting. They put on a great performance and the crowd seemed pretty into them. I'm not sure about the first two songs and fourth song in the set, but the rest are correct.
  1. A Somber Blossoming (Soulsflight)
  2. Vindication
  3. As the Angels Weep
  4. The Last of the Sunset Faded
  5. Innocence Lost
  6. Harlequin of Perpetual Destiny
  7. Velvet of the Godless

Next up was Acheron from Ohio. They hit the crowd with a fury of Satanic death metal. This was their first show out here since 2007 when they played the third Gathering of the Bestial Legion festival. I am not sure about the first two songs.
  1. The Apocalypse
  2. I Am Heathen
  3. Godless (We Are Gods!)
  4. Church of One
  5. Blessed by Damnation
  6. Ave Satanas
  7. Satan Holds Dominion
  8. Power and Might
  9. Fuck the Ways of Christ

Now the New York (currently Pennsylvania) death metal legends, Incantation, would take the stage. I don't think they've played a show in California since 2006, so it was a real treat to get to see them. They opened with the eerie instrumental from their last album and then exploded into "Thorns of Everlasting Persecution". Their set mostly focused on their more recent material, but they brought out "Rotting Spiritual Embodiment" and one of their classics, "The Ibex Moon", which no Incantation set is complete without. I'm not 100% sure on the eighth song, but all of the others are correct.
  1. Primordial Domination
  2. Thorns of Everlasting Persecution
  3. Absolved in Blood
  4. Hailed Babylon
  5. Lead to Desolation
  6. Rotting Spiritual Embodiment
  7. Sacrificial Sanctification
  8. Dying Divinity
  9. The Ibex Moon
  10. Impending Diabolical Conquest

Seeing Incantation was worth the ticket price alone, but now Autopsy was going to take over. Surprisingly, the show was only fifteen minutes behind schedule by the time Autopsy came on. They opened with a song from their new album and then delved into their classic albums. Their sound was unbelievably crushing. I would go so far as to say they might be the heaviest band I've seen. Chris Reifert's vocals sounded just as sadistic as on the albums and he pulled them off with ease. There are very few drummers who also take on lead vocals, so it was interesting to watch him. I expected it to be awkward not having him up front doing vocals, but it wasn't. Despite being being behind the rest of the band and unable to move around he managed to fulfill the role of any other frontman.

Their set was exceptional and it contained almost all of Severed Survival. They pulled out "Mauled to Death", a song from their first demo which they had never played live before! They also played "Service for a Vacant Coffin", which was not listed on the set list. Their set ended up being about an hour and a half long and it was an experience to say the least. The festival ended up being way better than I expected and I feel lucky to have seen both Incantation and Autopsy.
  1. Born Undead
  2. Twisted Mass of Burnt Decay
  3. In the Grip of Winter
  4. Severed Survival
  5. Ridden with Disease
  6. Voices
  7. Pagan Saviour
  8. Embalmed
  9. Mauled to Death
  10. Always About to Die
  11. The Tomb Within
  12. Critical Madness
  13. Gasping for Air
  14. Dead
  15. Slaughterday
    ---
  16. Charred Remains
  17. Service for a Vacant Coffin

Last edited by treghet; 01-17-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Altars of Radness

I realized I put 2011 instead of 2012. Two mistakes in a row.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

I ended up getting to the show around 10 pm and got there just in time to see the last two bands play their full sets. Incantation and Autopsy were bone crushingly evil and heavy to watch. I personally liked Incantations performance a tiny bit more but that is just me, and that still saying alot because Autopsy were fucking incredible, especially when they busted out their "slower" songs(if you even wanna call them that ahahhaha) and good god oh mighty I was banging my head to the fucking ground when they exploded into the "Mental Funeral" tunes. The thing that stood out to me more the most out of everything about Autopys performance was The vocals being spewed out by Chris Reifert. Holy fucking shit does that man bust out some eerie evil fucking vocals, Christ all mighty. Chris has to be seen to be heard, I was getting the chills just hearing him scream and tear the stage up with his Evilness! Highlight was when the band first got onstage. Jesus christ that pit JUST EXPLODED into all out assault and mayhem, and next thing i know I see like 3-4 security rushing in with there little mini flash lights and kicking people(cause too many fucking fights were breaking out left to right, i witnessed a couple right by me). I never seen security this tight at the echoplex. Good stuff...anyways, Met up with Christopher after show and almost ran off with his vinyl Record that he had purchased at the show, my bad Chris!! ahahha, anyways sucks we didnt meet treghet, hopefully sooner than later my friend. Great show and good way to start off 2012. Incantation and Autopsy were nothing short of amazing and Jaw dropping and those who are going to MDF gotta witness those evil ass vocals by fucking Chris.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM
N00B

This made me so much more excited to see them at MDF

Good to see you made it Sep(or Wizard now, whatever). You always seem to manage to go when you think you won't.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguy49 View Post

Good to see you made it Sep(or Wizard now, whatever).
Sepulwizard is fine with me

Quote:
You always seem to manage to go when you think you won't.
Me too. Autopsy may be the heaviest band Treghet has ever seen but I thought Autopsy was the most Evil band that I have ever seen and i can't think of another band that captured the evil aura that this band carried through out their performance, fuck i'm sorry i just gotta say it again but holy fucking shit Chris is an incredible vocalist. And i gotta give him his dues, Belching out those fucking vocals while playing drums must not be an easy task so for that I give him a

Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Altars of Radness

Sepulwizard () we will meet up eventually! I hung out with Chris for a bit and saw Robert (rjturtle) earlier. Glad you were able to make it to the show though. That would have been horrible if you weren't able to get off work.

Quote:
You will not be disappointed. Especially if they get to play as long as they did at this show. I still can't believe they played eight songs from Severed Survival. I wish more bands played sets like they did.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

I want to see Incantation!
I hope they tour for the new album...

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 01-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Now that's a fucking badass Autopsy set. Sweet Satan, do I wish I was confirmed to go to MDF right now.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Now that's a fucking badass Autopsy set. Sweet Satan, do I wish I was confirmed to go to MDF right now.
Well they're playing Chicago on May 5th, so if you can't see them at MDF you could try to make it to that show.

Tags
acheron, autopsy, divine eve, incantation