Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA-- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 01-06-2012, 06:04 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Shit, your top 2 aren't metal albums? WHO'S THE FUCKING HIPSTER?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
You are. That was easy. Ask me another

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Oh. Well...Banjo-Tooie did 3d platforming better than Super Mario 64.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
This is an undeniable fact.
...I might be okay with this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Absolutely agreed with pretty much every word of your Iconoclast review - hence how it ended up being my own #1.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two

Ok, so I said Iconoclast was the highest ranked metal album on my list, but my #2 album is by a band known for being prog metal. Thing is, I don't consider Road Salt Two, or their aptly named previous album Road Salt One, to be metal whatsoever. PoS have moved completely on to being pretty much a Prog Rock band, with only moments of the metalesque shining through. Needless to say, this genre shift has lost them a lot of fans in the metal community, especially after their metal-yet-mediocre album Scarsick in 2007 ended (for now) their saga in progressive metal. Personally, I found RS1 to be an absolutely amazing album that RS2 doesn't surpass, but merely ties.

Pain of Salvation aka The Daniel Gildenlow Band have always done tons of different things on every album, but RS2 does it in a way that seems even more impressive than average. Everything about this album seems... thoughtful almost, and well constructed in composition, arrangement, and performance. Even the very melodies the songs are built around are unique, flowing in bizarre ways that somehow feel completely natural. I seriously love that kind of thing, and RS2 is chock full of it. Despite definitely not feeling metal overall, it does get dirty and distorted pretty often and even heavy at times, almost in a grungey way - and a lot of the aggressive blues sounds from RS1 are kept here. But this sounds more like a Pain of Salvation album with the way the songs flow in very loose structure and occasionally climax with absurdly complicated instrumental and vocal segments. And it's crazy but, it's hard for me to describe the different sounds you can here on this album without straight up summarizing all 12 songs individually - but it's still a damn cohesive album with amazing themes. I find it a shame that so many people have given up on PoS when the two Road Salt albums are some of the best music they have made as a band ever.

Recommended songs:
"Softly She Cries"
"Eleven"
"The Deeper Cut"
"End Credits"
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

bring on #1 dammit!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
bring on #1 dammit!
Ok!

Pete Davis - The Pottsville Conglomerate

After I got Road Salt Two out of the way, I cared a bit less about trying not to let the voting thread spoil my list because I doubt many (or any) people here have heard this album anyway, and it's not metal. It's also better than any metal album I've heard this year by a fairly wide margin. With a massive 16 songs, The Pottsville Conglomerate is an epic album in every sense of the word. Pete Davis is just one guy who recorded and wrote everything himself over the course of several years, describing his music as "orchestrated acoustic." That's a pretty good summary of his sound but misleading on both parts - it's "orchestrated" in the sense of bombastic arrangements and meticulous use of many instruments and countermelodies rather than with instruments from an orchestra (though the cello is used in many songs), and "acoustic" is true most of the time but there are a few times it lies considering how common the clean electric guitar is on the album (and even electronic drums in "A Bathhouse for Bloodhounds"!).

Being a concept(ish?) album, there are a few repeating lyrical and musical themes over the album... and that's awesome. Despite being twice as long as an album that could be considered normal length, this helps it feel like one cohesive package, and never ever ever gets to be boring or repetitive (most songs don't even have choruses) anything like that despite it's length. Sound-wise this album is kind of out of place on my list, being most comparable to other indie rock acts like Anathallo and Sufjan Stevens (only merely "ok" in my eyes), but Pottsville pulls out a level of awesome songwriting and performance that I feel other artists in the genre have yet to accomplish. Pete Davis used pretty much every instrument he could get his hands on... and used it well, from the oh-so-prominent accordion, to ukelele, to stomps and claps. Every one of the many melodies in Pottsville accomplishes something special, whether it be joyous or mournful, it's always passionate. I know this is not going to be everyone's "thing" here, but I still think it's worth a listen for all of you because it's amazing to the point of breaking genre boundaries and climbing to my #1 spot without a care in the world. Like if you listen to this album and you don't think the "TAKE MEEE-E-E-EEEEEE" at the climax towards the end of "Behemoth" is one of the greatest moments you've heard in music, you need to go to an ear doctor. To get euthanized. It's godly.

Recommended songs:
"What Does Your Heart Do?"
"A Bathhouse For Bloodhounds"
"Behemoth"
"What Does Your Blood Do?"

also actually just listen to the whole album when you have an hour and a half to spare honestly, it's streaming on his bandcamp and it's fantastic.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Well that wraps up my whole list, I hope it was enjoyable to read for everyone and at least did one of introducing something cool to people, giving something nice to talk about, or making someone who disagrees mad.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
N00B

I checked out a couple songs on their bandcamp when you posted it and I remember being underwhelmed. I will listen when I have a chance.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG

Last edited by Rocco44; 01-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Catch The Rainbow

I llike that YES was in this list......I'll have to pick that up.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Your no.1... Wow, awesome, I've been on a Greg Graffin buzz the last couple of days, so this is right up my alley right now!