Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

VH1 Metal Evolution

Has anybody been watching this? Thoughts? I haven't been able to see much since I don't have Vh1 Classic and Vh1 won't fucking put it up for free on their website unlike That Metal Show.

I've only seen two episodes, the NWOBHM and Thrash. NWOBHM was interesting since we got the weigh in for how NWOBHM was affected by glam, and to Steve vehemently and repeatedly state that punk didn't affect shit on metal.

The Thrash episode is ok. As I expected it wasn't going to outdo the Get Thrashed DVD, though it makes me want to slap the shit out of Lars Ulrich for his bullshit strawman arguments about "selling out to your fans."

First of all, what the fuck is wrong with catering to what your fans want musically? When did this become a crime that all the Peter Frickes of the world turn their noses up at? Fans are people who only want enjoyment and satisfaction from your music, as opposed to record executives who just want to steal your money? Second of all, the reasons thrashers hate ballads is because it was a Motley Crue move. You know, that band that you and your crony Scott Ian were saying you were so much better than?

And all this whining on how thrash is limiting? THEN BREAK UP YOUR FUCKING BAND. You wanna experiment with new sounds outside of your extreme genre? Then go somewhere else and start up a completely different band with a completely new sound. But you'll use the excuse of "I don't want to limit the boundaries of what artist x" can do, but what you really don't want to do is stop the money train because you can make more money just releasing another album with shit that does not belong in your sound rather than starting a separate project.

I don't care one iota about SOD, but at least Scott Ian had enough integrity to realize he should start a separate band (even though I'd rather Anthrax put out a song like Fuck The Middle East instead of Safe Home)

rant over.

One final thing on the show, I really don't like how Sam is mugging the camera again. I thought he learned his lesson from that on the Iron Maiden and Rush docs but I guess not. Anyways, your thoughts on the show?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

I like it. The only thing I don't like about Sam is his genre classifications. Also, I found a list of the episodes that will air and am disappointed.

Nov 11: Pre Metal
Nov 19: Early Metal US
Dec 3: Early Metal UK
Dec 10: New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
Dec 17: Glam
Dec 31: Thrash
Jan 7: Grunge
Jan 14: Nu Metal
Jan 21: Shock Rock
Jan 28: Power Metal
Feb 4: Progressive Metal

I was disappointed that there was no Death Metal or Black Metal. Stuff like Grunge, Nu-Metal, and Shock Rock are things I don't believe fit.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
I like it. The only thing I don't like about Sam is his genre classifications. Also, I found a list of the episodes that will air and am disappointed.

Nov 11: Pre Metal
Nov 19: Early Metal US
Dec 3: Early Metal UK
Dec 10: New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
Dec 17: Glam
Dec 31: Thrash
Jan 7: Grunge
Jan 14: Nu Metal
Jan 21: Shock Rock
Jan 28: Power Metal
Feb 4: Progressive Metal

I was disappointed that there was no Death Metal or Black Metal. Stuff like Grunge, Nu-Metal, and Shock Rock are things I don't believe fit.

WHAT?!?! I figured that shit would be a lock. I'm actually impressed he's giving a special to power metal, but he's not even touching two cornerstones of metal so he can cater to the trappings of nu-metal? Fuck you Sam, I just lost all my respect for you.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Rats off to ya

I only saw the first episode and I though it was pretty great. I gotta catch up. Definitely gotta see the shock rock episode. That should be the best one.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
WHAT?!?! I figured that shit would be a lock. I'm actually impressed he's giving a special to power metal, but he's not even touching two cornerstones of metal so he can cater to the trappings of nu-metal? Fuck you Sam, I just lost all my respect for you.
I don't think it's all his fault. I think VH1 plays a role in that, but it's still disappointing.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Honestly the Power Metal episode will probably be an hour talking about how bands like Iron Maiden, Accept, Rainbow, The Scorpions, Dio, and Yngwie Malmsteen are Power Metal - while getting no further into the real genre than Helloween, Hammerfall, and Blind Guardian.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM
N00B

VH1 Classic just does not want to have an hour for Black/Death metal. VH1 Classic is trash.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Rats off to ya

It's lame that there won't be any Death or Black metal episodes but VH1 Classic s the only channel on tv that shows anything metal related so I won't trash them.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Metal documentaries suck.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Yeah Man, that's some straight BS. As I've gotten older, death metal has without a doubt become my favorite sub genre.

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)