Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

brutal descent

Have you looked at anyone's list but yours.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Eh, here are a few more. Not really enjoying this as much as I should.

18. Opeth – Heritage – The Devil’s Orchard – Roadrunner Records

As a diehard Opeth fan, I looked forward to Opeth going clean, into a Rush-like direction, and upon listening to the album, I was only disappointed by a little. My expectations were too high seeing as how they’re my favorite band. The only faults of the record lie in the feel of the album; songs passed without me noticing, especially during the middle of the album. Akerfeldt’s voice stands out here, as well as the guitar work; the guitar riff to The Devil’s Orchard must be one of my favorite riffs of the year, and I Feel the Dark should be a staple in their acoustic/clean sets. Slither is also one of my favorite tracks, with full-on prog all the way through. Should Opeth continue down this road? Perhaps. If Akerfeldt feels his talent now lies away from death metal, all the glory to him, but I hope this is just a slight deviation, and that the future of Opeth won’t resemble this record.

17. Liturgy – Aesthetica – High Gold - Whatever label they're on

Liturgy is a hipster black metal band – like the ‘genre’ of viking metal, it says nothing about their sound, simply their ‘scene’ or whatnot. Touring with bands like electronic artist Diplo and indie pop act Sleigh Bells doesn’t do much for them, but if you look past the name calling, Liturgy’s new album Aesthetica is captivating. An avant-garde take on Wolves in the Throne Room’s less mystical material, these Brooklyn-based guys do what they do well. By abandoning the black metal stereotypical image of corpse-paint, the decision acts as a paradigm shift – songs such as High Gold, Generation, and Sun of Light become audial assaults, armed to the teeth, a straight-up dose of noise.

16. Mastodon – The Hunter – Spectrelight – Roadrunner Records

Another one of my favorite bands, this is a new direction for Mastodon – going away from the idea of concept albums (represented by their previous releases), The Hunter can easily be appreciated as a compilation of the different sides of Mastodon. From classic Mastodon heavy-hitters such as Spectrelight and Black Tongue, and stoner metal, High on Fire-inspired anthems like Curl of the Burl and Blasteroid, The Hunter showcases the flexibility Mastodon is capable of. With a beautiful finale in the form of the title track, Mastodon end their latest release with a line that’s sure to stick in the mind for days to come, “Pursue happiness with diligence”. While The Hunter does contain one or two lackluster tracks (Stargasm comes to mind), this is a solid release from one of the best, most innovative metal bands out today.

15. Burzum – Fallen – Jeg faller - Whatever label he's on

Varg Vikernes’ one-man black metal band Burzum has, over the years, become infamous in the black metal scene; with his extremist views and having killed Mayhem’s frontman Euronymous in the mid-90’s, Burzum is a love-it or hate-it band. Since his release from prison, he’s released two albums – last year’s Belus and his newest album, Fallen. Both superb albums and strong examples of his unrelenting musicianship despite the many years in prison, both albums would be better as a double-album.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
15. Burzum – Fallen – Jeg faller - Whatever label he's on

Varg Vikernes’ one-man black metal band Burzum has, over the years, become infamous in the black metal scene; with his extremist views and having killed Mayhem’s guitarist Euronymous in the mid-90’s, Burzum is a love-it or hate-it band. Since his release from prison, he’s released two albums – last year’s Belus and his newest album, Fallen. Both superb albums and strong examples of his unrelenting musicianship despite the many years in prison, both albums would be better as a double-album.
Fixed.

EDIT: Nevermind you were right. All the documentaries didn't say anything about him being the singer.

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 12-20-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
That Guy

Good choices in the Top 20 so far.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Fixed.
Honestly couldn't care less right now. Only album of theirs I own is De Mysteriis Dom Sathans.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Buahahahahaha

Of all the tracks off The Hunter to pick as lackluster you choose Stargasm?

*facepalm*
11/06 Intronaut
Old 12-23-2011, 04:22 PM

14. Protest the Hero - Scurrilous

Protest the Hero's first two albums, Kezia and Fortress, were metalcore albums with prog influences. Disagree with me if you wish to, but what matters is that their new album, Scurrilous, is a brilliant crossover of the two genres. With the great compromise of Michael Romeo-like guitar work and signature PTH vocals, Scurrilous may be their best album yet. Tracks like "C'est la Vie" and one of my favorite songs of the year, "Sex Tapes" bring out the best of Protest the Hero.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 12-23-2011, 04:48 PM

13. Revocation - Chaos of Forms

First of all, let me say this: DAVID IS A FUCKING GOD AT GUITAR. He's probably one of my favorite guitarists from the newest metal bands to come out in the past decade, and Revocation is an amazing outlet for his talents. Anyhow, Chaos of Forms is somewhat better than Existence Is Futile - while a bit more accessible than EIF, that's not necessarily a bad thing - with addictive songs (dat chorus) like Cradle Robber and Harlot, it's hard to believe they're only where they are. 2012 will hold a bright future for them, and the rest of the "newcomers" such as Skeletonwitch and Vektor, and I look forward to the new release.
3/15 Gogol Bordello