Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013

Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Spiner202's Year End Review

While I'm fairly new here (at least, in terms of posting), I'm going to be doing a year end review because I'm surprised at how little my tastes match up with everyone else. I listen to very little besides Metal, so that's about all you are going to get out of my list. I'm still undecided on the top 10 albums and will likely expand it to 15 (especially since I'm getting a few more for Christmas).

With that said, I'll kick this off with the following:

Top 3 Worst/Disappointing Live Bands of 2011
Top 10 Best Live Bands of 2011
Biggest Surprises of 2011
3 Most Disappointing Albums of 2011
Top 10 (or 15) albums of 2011

Top 3 Worst/Disappointing Live Bands of 2011

I didn't see too many bad bands this year, so number 2 and 3 are disappointments for me.

3. Holy Grail

Date Seen: April 28th
Venue: Annex Wreckroom

I LOVE Holy Grail. Crisis in Utopia is one of my favourite albums in recent years, and I even saw the band last year supporting Blind Guardian. I'd say they even gave the mighty Blind Guardian stiff competition at that show, but I didn't get that feeling at this show. Maybe it's because I was partially dehydrated during their set, but I thought they weren't as energetic as last time I saw them. I also lost a lot of respect for James Paul Luna when he called the opener, Crimson Shadows, "Crimson Storm". I get that he wouldn't know the band, but you'd think he'd at least bother to learn their name if he's going to mention them (it would have been like him saying "thank you Montreal!"). With this said, I'll go see them again, because I know they can be amazing live and because their songs are great. They weren't bad, they just didn't meet my super high expectations.

2. Deicide

Date Seen: February 25th
Venue: The Opera House

There are three main reasons I didn't enjoy this band (even though I love them). Firstly, at the time, I wasn't really that familiar with their material. I only had three albums, and they hardly play anything from Legion anyways. This is something I know won't be a problem next time. Second, the sound was awful. It started out sounding good, but then the bass drums got way too high into the mix and everything became a blur. Finally, my brother took me to this restaurant beforehand which made me pretty sick, and we ended up skipping the encore. Ultimately, I know I'll enjoy Deicide next time, but I'd say that this show just wasn't that much fun.

1. Billy Talent

Date Seen: July 24th
Venue: Downsview Park

Say what you will about Billy Talent, but it's not my kind of music. They were at Heavy TO and the only reason I saw them was because my brother wanted to. I'll admit that they are decent at what they do, but can you seriously expect them to look good when they have to follow Slayer? I did enjoy watching this one roadie stare down people who threw things on stage, but besides that, I was about ready to go home after two long days of Metal. Hopefully Heavy TO doesn't book another band like this for next year.

Tomorrow I'll start doing 2 bands a day for the best live bands of the year.
10/10 - Amon Amarth/Sabaton
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Billy Talent <3

Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
While I'm fairly new here (at least, in terms of posting), I'm going to be doing a year end review because I'm surprised at how little my tastes match up with everyone else.
There are several people here who feel that way, myself included
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemic Reign View Post
There are several people here who feel that way, myself included
You have over 1500 posts...?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkwine732 View Post
You have over 1500 posts...?
No, he feels the same about how little his taste matches up with other users' tastes.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Hell Bent for Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal_descent View Post
No, he feels the same about how little his taste matches up with other users' tastes.
Yeah, I guess I could have bolded that
01.27 Dark Tranquillity
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Top 10 Best Live Bands of 2011

After going to only 2 concerts in 2010, I sort of forgot just how much fun they really are. I only made it out to 8 this year, but I saw plenty of great bands. It's pretty hard to rank some of them, but here we go:

10. Blackguard

Dates Seen: February 25th (Deicide), April 27th (Symphony X), September 4th (Kamelot)
Venues: The Opera House (x2), The Mod Club

I know that everyone here hates this band, but I think they are great live. I wasn't really familiar with their work before the Deicide show, but they were a great change of pace from the other bands. I didn't go to the other two shows for Blackguard, but they were definitely a bonus. I'm not as fond of them on record, but they are worth seeing live (though I imagine it would get boring if they were at every single show I was at).

9. Borealis

Date Seen: April 27th (Symphony X)
Venue: The Opera House

I might be the biggest fanboy of this band. It was my 4th time seeing them, and the first time since 2009. I think this was their CD release party, except that they didn't have the CDs yet, so Sean Werlick (keyboards) was taking pre-orders. They only got 5 songs, but all of them were from the new album and they were all great. I wish I could have seen them on the Saxon tour because I know I'd enjoy it more if I knew the songs. If you like any kind of Power or Progressive Metal, make sure to go see Borealis live and buy their new album, "Fall From Grace".
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 AM

8. Anvil

Dates Seen: May 14th (Alice Cooper), July 24th (Heavy TO), August 26th (Alice Cooper), December 6th (Alice Cooper)
Venues: Pavillion de la Jeunesse, Downsview Park, Erie Canal Harbor, Centre in the Square

You guys seem pretty split over Anvil, but I love them. Lips always looks like he's having a great time, and Robbo is an absolute beast on drums. I'd put them higher, but I've seen them 4 times and they've never played more than 8 songs. And even between those sets, I've seen maybe 10 different songs. Go see them, but I don't recommend seeing them as often as I did this year :P

7. Crimson Shadows

Date Seen: April 28th (Cauldron/Holy Grail)

This is my other favourite "local" band. I consider them Dragonforce with harsh vocals, and they even opened for Dragonforce in October. In this sense, they are the perfect live band: their songs are totally catchy and fun to sing along to, but heavy enough to get some pits going. They played this show without a bassist, but that didn't really affect the performance. Much like Borealis, this show would have been better if I recognized more of the songs. Their new album finally came out around September though, so I'm pretty excited to see them again.
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-24-2011, 05:36 AM

6. Motorhead

Date Seen: July 23rd (Heavy TO)

Is there anything more epic than hearing "We are Motorhead, and we play rock'n'roll"? How about hearing them play "Overkill" with tons of rain pounding down on everyone? This was my first time seeing Motorhead and they killed it. It was nowhere near as loud as I expected (which is a good thing) and the setlist was pretty strong. These guys outperform bands half their age. I'm sure everyone here has seen them, but GO if you haven't!

5. Alestorm

Date Seen: September 4th (Kamelot)
Venue: The Mod Club

Alestorm is by far one of the most fun bands in existence. Their albums are great, but their live show was even better. "Nancy The Tavern Wench" was definitely the highlight. I'd love to see this band do a headlining set because their were a ton more songs I wanted to hear (even though the songs they picked were great too).

4. Cauldron

Date Seen: April 28th (w/Holy Grail)

I'm not sure why, but something about this performance was really satisfying. I can't even explain it, but I know that I need to see them again. Maybe it was because they completely outperformed Holy Grail, or because their new album has been growing on me, but this band was great. Even though they are from Toronto, I'd never seen them before, and I've found they only play 19+ shows in Toronto. Come May, I'll be seeing them often, I hope

3. Alice Cooper

Dates Seen: May 14th, August 26th, December 6th
Venues: Pavillion de la Jeunesse, Erie Canal Harbor, Centre in the Square

It's no secret I'm an AC fanboy, and May 14th was my first time seeing him since 2008. Even though all three shows were on the same tour, they were all different performances. In the second show, he added "Hey Stoopid" to the setlist (which is one of my favourite songs of his, and definitely from his most underrated album), and on December 6th, Orianthi was with the band instead of Damon Johnson. I'd say the last show was my favourite just because I was in the third row and the show really comes alive at that distance. If it weren't for the fact that he just released an amazing new album, I would probably skip the next tour, but now I'm hoping I can see him next year!
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 AM

2. Anthrax

Date Seen: July 23rd (Heavy TO)

Anthrax completely surprised me. I thought they'd be enjoyable, but clearly there for the paycheck. I was totally wrong and they destroyed. Joey Belladonna in particular really did a great job. He had a ton of energy and looked like he was having more fun than anyone in the crowd. It was probably also the best time to have seen the band (besides 1987) seeing as how I'm not big on their new album.

1. Slayer

Date Seen: July 24th (Heavy TO)

Slayer is easily the greatest band I've ever seen. Their intensity can't be matched and every song is somehow more brutal than the last. I saw everything flying up in the air during their set, including what appeared to be some professional camera equipment. During Postmortem, some chick in front of me got nailed in the head by the camera and started bleeding. Every time they started a slower song (South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss), it got louder and louder. I don't even know what else to say, except that I have to see them again soon!
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond

Last edited by Spiner202; 12-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.