Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

slapguitarer's big fat 2011 list/orgy

Long have I awaited this moment. I joined the forum right when all the 2010 lists were rolling in, and it was a great way to be introduced to the forums. Everybody reading each other's lists, giving each other internet brofists 'n' such gave a off a sense of camaraderie that I really liked. This was a refreshing enviornment, since I had just come off of the Mayhem Fest forums. Now I get to participate in this event, and it's super chill.

So, what can one expect from my year end list? Here's a list(in no particular order):
My Top 50 Albums of 2011
Top 10 live acts w/honorable mentions
Most disappointing album of 2011
Worst album of 2011
Best riff of 2011
Top 5 EP's
My dad's Top 5 albums of 2011

I'll start with my Top 50 and all the other stuff will come in between.

Last edited by slapguitarer; 12-17-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

im looking forward although i think i already know your top 3 for the year
Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_streets View Post
im looking forward although i think i already know your top 3 for the year
I'm pretty sure a lot of people do at this point.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Actually, to start things off these are some albums I never got around to, but probably would've enjoyed.

Junius - Reports From the Threshhold of Death
Rwake - Rest
Mournful Congregation - The Book Of Kings
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil
Saviours - Death's Procession
Tombs - Path of Totality
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Black Cobra - Invernal
The Atlas Moth - An Ache for the Distance
Russian Circles - Empros
Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Actually, to start things off these are some albums I never got around to, but probably would've enjoyed.

Junius - Reports From the Threshhold of Death
Rwake - Rest
Mournful Congregation - The Book Of Kings
Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination
In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil
Saviours - Death's Procession
Tombs - Path of Totality
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
Black Cobra - Invernal
The Atlas Moth - An Ache for the Distance
Russian Circles - Empros
Yeah, I've listened to half of those and they are all really good especially The Atlas Moth, Russian Circles, Black Cobra and Rwake
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Nice thread title, you plagiarizing bastard.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Nice thread title, you plagiarizing bastard.
Hey, you should take it as a compliment that I subconciously named something after one of your works.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:32 PM

Until I get to my Top 5 or 10, I'll be doing the Top 50 list in increments of five.

50) Old Silver Key Ė Tales of Wanderings
Neige sure is one busy guy. Iíve only heard his names circulating the intrawebs for maybe a year, but this is the third project Iíve heard him in. Like Lantlos, Neige only provides vocals for Old Silver Key. The band really is the guys from Drudkh. Unlike Lantlos, Old Silver Key features little to no elements of black metal. Sure, they throw in some tremolo picking and blast beats every blue moon, but itís never distorted and Neige never uses his black metal shrieks on this album. Essentially, this album is a post-rock/shoegaze album. Itís in no way a metal album, and thereís nothing wrong with that. The only problem I have with the album is that it is pretty much just Alcest sans the black metal. There are some really cool tracks on the album, but Iíd rather just listen to Alcest. But if you like Alcest, but wanna hear something similar to it without the whole black metal thing, I highly recommend it.
November Nights Insomnia

49) Thomas Giles Ė Pulse
Although I wasnít there to experience the reactions to Thomas Giles Rogersí first solo effort, Giles, I know for a fact it wasnít pretty. And when Tommy Rogers announced that heíd be releasing another solo album, I knew a lot of people werenít looking forward to it. Neither was I at first. I had listened to some of the material on Giles, and to be frank, it sucks. But I then heard the single off the album, Sleep Shake, and fear I did not. For the most part, Tommy Rogers abandonís all the elements of the putrid Giles on Pulse. Pulse is full of different colors, emotions, and moods. You canít really fit this album into one genre. On Pulse, you hear alt-rock, electronica, acoustic singer/song writer, metal, and much more. I like the album a lot for that reason, but itís also why itís this low on the list. Pulse doesnít really feel like an album, but a random collection of songs. That may be because thatís precisely what it is, but still. You have your good moments and your shit moments, but the good outweighs the shit. If you like alternative/experimental rock music, Iíd recommend giving Pulse a shot.
Hamilton Anxiety Scale

48) Witch Mountain Ė South of Salem
With South of Salem, Oregon doom-metallers Witch Mountain takes us down to the crossroads in the Mississippi delta. Their style of doom metal is very bluesy and of course, slow. Their combination of slow riffs and high-range female vocals is an approach to doom that I havenít heard and is pretty solid. Now, the reason this album is low on the list is because I donít feel that album really progresses over time or really goes anywhere. Most of the songs sound a little too similar for my taste. Considering this album was a decade in the making, youíd think they could write more concentrated songs that progress and evolve, but that didnít happen here. If youíre into groove oriented metal, or wanna hear some modern metal with a bluesy twang, go for it, but other wise you arenít missing anything great by skipping South of Salem, just something fairly good.
South Sugar

47) The Gates of Slumber Ė The Wretch
The Gates of Slumber are a time machine. Their form of traditional doom metal is similar to any doom metal album you would hear in the 80ís; being equal part Vitus, Pentagram, and Candlemass. The singer/guitarist, Karl Simon, sounds a lot like Ozzy too. The Gates of Slumber door a good job of writing awesome riffs and bitchiní solos. All the songs here are good. They guys do nothing wrong. The reason they are at this place on my list is because I feel that I could be listening to another band, such as Vitus, Sabbath, or Candlemass, and get the same, if not better satisfaction than I do while listening to The Gates Of Slumber. But if youíre a fan of retro doom metal, and want to get your hands on something newer, check these guys out.
Day of Farewell

46) Amon Amarth Ė Surtur Rising
Itís hard to hate Amon Amarth. Their strain of melodic death metal is well written, catchy, and brutal. You can always rely on Amon Amarth to release solid melodic death metal for all of us to enjoy, and that is just what they did with Surtur Rising. Not much has changed this time around. But that is to be expected. People often call Amon Amarth the most consistent band in death metal, which is both good and bad. It is good because if you like Amon Amarth, you never have to worry about them writing a shitty album, but itís bad because when a band is so formulaic, you never get to see how the band could grow and evolve. You get the same product as last time, just newer and a little shinier. So like I said, itís hard to hate Amon Amarth, but itís also hard to love them.
TŲck's Taunt - Loke's Treachery, Part II
Old 12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Hey, you should take it as a compliment that I subconciously named something after one of your works.
Fair enough - nice recovery. Carry on.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-17-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:34 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

I like me some female-fronted doom but I did not like that Witch Mountain record at all. Her vocals annoy me.