Pallbearer -- Champaign, IL -- October 19th, 2014
Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-16-2011, 06:29 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Inquisition -- Cleveland, OH -- December 14th, 2011

Bands: Inquisition, Nekrofilth, Gasmask
Venue: Now That's Class (basement)

This was my first time checking out Now That's Class, a small venue on the west side of Cleveland. It's in a... questionable part of town, but nothing happened to my car, thank god. Anyway, the concert for some reason was in the basement of Now That's Class, since there was supposed to be some "Rollerskate Disco" in the main venue upstairs. Got there about 45 minutes early since I wasn't sure if it started at 9 or 10 (started at 10), so I hung out and drank some red bull with my friend. There were like, 3 people at the Roller Disco upstairs. Really weird.

So we went down to the basement to check it out... and holy shit, I can't believe I saw a show there. It was probably 15 feet wide, and went back maybe 50 feet or so? There shit everywhere: old lockers, skateboard ramps, an ice cooler, old washing machines, dressers, etc, that everyone pushed to the side so there was enough room to set up. The ceiling was only 7 feet high or so, with a bunch of pipes running everywhere. Once the bands started playing, they turned off all the lights and there were only some christmas lights from the ceiling above the band which gave off this eeire, awesome atmosphere.

While we were waiting, there were only about 3 or 4 other people there, but by the time the first band started, a bunch of people from the bar came down from upstairs, and there ended up being about 200 to 250 people packed in there when Inquisition eventually got on. That's more people than I see at some shows at Peabody's! There's no way that was legal to force us all into that basement. The crowd was pretty diverse, too. A lot of black metal fans, but a lot of hipsters and crust punk dudes also, and even some old hardcore guys.

The first band, which I assume were locals, was Gasmask. They were freakin' awesome! They were pretty much an "ENTOMBEDCORE" band if you will, very similar to All Pigs Must Die, Nails, or Trap Them. I think I actually enjoyed them the most, musically. Unfortunately, they literally had nothing for sale. I wanted to at least get a CD or demo or something of theirs.

The next band, Nekrofilth, was pretty much straight-up crust punk. They were pretty enjoyable live, too, although I definitely liked the style of Gasmask more. For both them and Gasmask, most everybody in the crowd were just standing still and stuff, but I didn't mind since we were packed in so tight. I think they were local, too? I wasn't sure though. For both them and Gasmask, though, the sound was way too loud, so I actually put my earbuds in to act as sort of pseudo-earplugs, and it made the show a lot more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind catching them again. Setlist (had it on paper so I took a picture):

Intro Song (?)
Give Up On Life
Worship Destruction
Death Rush
Take Them To The (scrawled out?)
Street Bitch
Sewer Rat
Shout Up Piss
Throne of Sluts
Fuck You

Finally, Inquisition came out at midnight exactly. Unfortunately, they didn't have any corpse paint on or anything, just a dude on the drums and a dude on guitar with black t-shirts and black jeans. But as soon as they started, everyone started going crazy! We were all moshing back and forth, pushing each other, clinging onto the pipes, etc. It was awesome. Everyone was having a blast. Inquisition's sound was pretty great, too, despite being in a basement. Dagon's voice is so ominous live, too. I think they only played for 35 minutes or so, but it every minute was pretty great. I'd definitely consider seeing them again with Dark Funeral this year, but I don't think the atmosphere would be quite as awesome. Dagon even told us at the end, "This was one of the rawest shows we've ever played! Thank you guys". All they had for sale was Vinyl and CD's of their latest release, Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm.

I think the setlist was similar to what they've played in the past on this tour:

Astral Path to Supreme Majesties
Nefarious Dismal Orations
Empire of Luciferian Race
Command of the Dark Crown
We Summon The Winds Of Fire (For The Burning Of All Holiness)
Where Darkness Is Lord and Death the Beginning
Embraced by the Unholy Powers of Death and Destruction
Imperial Hymn for Our Master Satan
Crush the Jewish Prophet
Ancient Monumental War Hymn
Desolate Funeral Chant
Cosmic Invocation Rites

Last edited by jd091; 12-16-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

That sounds amazing. They played some danky art gallery in Atlanta a week ago, but I wasn't there I'm planning on seeing them with Dark Funeral during Spring Break, but I honestly don't even know if it'll be worth it because that particular venue won't suit them at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

The description of the venue reminds me of when I saw Behemoth in Oshawa, Ontario back in early-2005. The venue was called the Dungeon and it was in the basement of Lazerquest (a laser-tag game). I'm not sure if Lazerquest or the Dungeon are even around anymore. The show was small enough and the band hadn't broke yet so my friend was able to chat with their touring bassist. He remarked that they'd played in some of the worst clubs in Eastern Europe and this place was even worse. I'll never forget that. We still quote that in our best gravely Eastern European accents to this day.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-16-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
The description of the venue reminds me of when I saw Behemoth in Oshawa, Ontario back in early-2005. The venue was called the Dungeon and it was in the basement of Lazerquest (a laser-tag game). I'm not sure if Lazerquest or the Dungeon are even around anymore. The show was small enough and the band hadn't broke yet so my friend was able to chat with their touring bassist. He remarked that they'd played in some of the worst clubs in Eastern Europe and this place was even worse. I'll never forget that. We still quote that in our best gravely Eastern European accents to this day.
That sounds incredible. That would have been the Demigod tour, too? Envious.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm really interested in this Inquisition band. I've never heard of them but I swear I've seen at least two or three of their sets posted here in the last few weeks. They're playing Toronto February 4th but I already have three shows within a week and a half of that so my wife would kill me if I went to another. That and they're playing with Dark Funeral and Abigail Williams (yuck).
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-16-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I'm really interested in this Inquisition band. I've never heard of them but I swear I've seen at least two or three of their sets posted here in the last few weeks. They're playing Toronto February 4th but I already have three shows within a week and a half of that so my wife would kill me if I went to another. That and they're playing with Dark Funeral and Abigail Williams (yuck).
Definitely check out there stuff, it's some pretty unique black-ish metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0UfDmJYEY
Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Altars of Radness

Sounds awesome, I am jealous. Christmas lights and black metal in a basement.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Metal DJ

why no paint? Did they not have enough time to put it on?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodcurse View Post
why no paint? Did they not have enough time to put it on?
They were at the bar all night talking to people before the show, so I don't think time was an issue.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

nigga what nekrofilth did you see?

Tags
gasmask, inquisition, nekrofilth