Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Vorst, Belgium -- March 16th, 1991
Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm the ghoul of the medical profession

Exclamation 2011 10 of Top List Album Best Here of

Today through christmas ya hear + others etc.

Might as well go into it

10. Murder Junkies- Road Killer

I'll do the honourable mentions later so not to ruin the excitement of the countdown.
Anyway. GG Allin is the undisputed king of Rock N' Roll, and probably because of his notoriety there seems to be lots of hate towards his brother Merle's continuation of the band after GG's demise, but I am 100% ok with it, and the music picks up right where Brutality & Bloodshed left off (ok technically Feed My Sleave I believe, but I haven't heard that one so I'm going to go with the last full length.) PP is an excellent replacement vocally, obviously he can't live up to GG's live performances but when I saw the Murder Junkies in May touring in promotion of Road Killer he was in top form. The songs are catchy and sleazey punk rock, and besides my #2 on this list this album has probably provided me with the most frequently-stuck-in-head songs of any record from 2011. No real weak points throughout the entire thing other than maybe a being a bit lyrically excessive with the GG references, but that's easy to get over. It's a damn shame this one wasn't put out when GG was still alive because I think it'd rank right up there with Freaks on the scumfuck classics list.
Everyone should grab this and support the band, they are all around awesome there are far too few bands that don't give a fuck anymore.

Hated in Life

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 12-16-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Rats off to ya

Haven't heard anything from this yet, it's pretty awesome.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 AM

9. Autopsy- Macabre Eternal

I was thrilled/disappointed when Autopsy reunited/Abscess broke up, and I think The Tomb Within was probably what I expected reunion Autopsy to sound like- decent but not nearly up to the quality of Autopsy's old work. Luckily Macabre Eternal quickly fixed all the complaints I had about it predecessor, (mainly the semi-lame vocals and boring song structure), and the album seems to pick up right where Mental Funeral(the best death metal record ever) left off, almost skipping the evolution of the 2 studio albums, EP, and side band that came after it. I absolutely love Acts and to a lesser extent Shitfun, but deathdoom Autopsy is what they are best at and a return to that style I welcome with open arms. There is some definite progression in Autopsy's sound since the early 90's and Macabre Eternal is not just a rehashing of old albums; there's a lot of riff variation, the longest Autopsy song ever written, and Eric Cutler even sings one of the odder tracks on the album (Dirty Gore Whore.) Any oldschool Autopsy fans shouldn't have any reason to not love Macabre Eternal, unless of course they are above listening to the "new stuff." It's not as great as Mental Funeral or Severed Survival, but it's up there, and in an age where most death metal is technical, progressive, -core, or any other adjective that has bastardized the once incredible genre, Macabre Eternal is true to its roots and heavy as fuck.

Always About to Die
Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Face The Slayer

Great new one from the death metal legends
Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I just wanna say that both of those album covers are awesome.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzbang11 View Post
Today through christmas ya hear + others etc.

Might as well go into it

10. Murder Junkies- Road Killer

I'll do the honourable mentions later so not to ruin the excitement of the countdown.
Anyway. GG Allin is the undisputed king of Rock N' Roll, and probably because of his notoriety there seems to be lots of hate towards his brother Merle's continuation of the band after GG's demise, but I am 100% ok with it, and the music picks up right where Brutality & Bloodshed left off (ok technically Feed My Sleave I believe, but I haven't heard that one so I'm going to go with the last full length.) PP is an excellent replacement vocally, obviously he can't live up to GG's live performances but when I saw the Murder Junkies in May touring in promotion of Road Killer he was in top form. The songs are catchy and sleazey punk rock, and besides my #2 on this list this album has probably provided me with the most frequently-stuck-in-head songs of any record from 2011. No real weak points throughout the entire thing other than maybe a being a bit lyrically excessive with the GG references, but that's easy to get over. It's a damn shame this one wasn't put out when GG was still alive because I think it'd rank right up there with Freaks on the scumfuck classics list.
Everyone should grab this and support the band, they are all around awesome there are far too few bands that don't give a fuck anymore.

Hated in Life
You haven't heard Feed My Slease???? GET IT NOW!!!!! I agree that this was one of the best records of the year. The only song I thought was too cheesy was the last song cause of the GG references.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM

8. Necros Christos- Doom of the Occult

I’m not really sure why I always 100% associate Necros Christos with Negative Plane, but I do, and for some reason I was compelled to choose one of their albums for the slot on my list instead of both. Again, no real reason for it, the Negative Plane record ruled, but NC won, and therefore. No Negative Plane. Anyway. Doom of The Occult was the best occulty death metal record of 2011, and it has an atmosphere so it’s own that I’m not sure there are a lot of modern death metal records that come close to having such a defined aura (perhaps Seven Chalices..) Like the Teitanblood record too it is filled with interludes that make casual listening a bit of a chore (breaking up singles for a ‘playlist’ or whatever would be blasphemy in this instance) and because of that I don’t think I’ve given the album the amount of spins it deserves, but really, it’s fucking perfect. Beats Triune without question I think, which is not something to be done lightly.

Baal of Ekron

Last edited by Wizzbang11; 12-18-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM

7. Morbus Chron- Sleepers in the Rift

Morbus Chron managed to make a better Autopsy album in 2011 than Autopsy did, and to accomplish that as a bunch of Swedish 18 year-olds putting out your debut record is an impressive a feat (although I’m sure having a sibling who performed in Nihilist/Entombed helped quite a bit.) Sleepers in the Rift is damn near perfect in emulating the filthy OSDM sound of the first few Autopsy records, but with a twist of Swedish death metal excellence that puts Morbus Chron just barely outside of the total ‘worship band’ that their demo/EP certainly had the vibe of. Excellent production, the best Morbus Chron material to date (despite the awesomeness of Creepy Creeping Creeps) and even a badass non-photoshop painted cover blend perfectly together to make Sleepers in the Rift an entirely satisfying slab of old school filth.

Red Hook Horror
Old 12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Altars of Radness

I haven't heard of Morbus Chron before, but that song is awesome and so is the artwork.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I haven't heard of Morbus Chron before, but that song is awesome and so is the artwork.
This, going to have to get on that album now.