Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Concert Veteran

Alice Cooper -- Erie, PA -- December 10th, 2011

The Black Widow
Brutal Planet
I'm Eighteen
Under My Wheels
Billion Dollar Babies
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Hey Stoopid
Is It My Body
Halo of Flies
I'll Bite Your Face Off
Muscle of Love
Orianthi Guitar solo
Only Women Bleed
Cold Ethyl
Feed My Frankenstein
Clones (We're All)
Poison
Wicked Young Man
Killer
I Love the Dead
School's Out

----------------

Elected

Since I enjoyed Cooper so much back when I saw him this summer I decided to make a road trip to see him again. The opening act for this show was a band named Livan. I've never heard of them before but they did a good job and acutally got a standing ovation from a lot of people after they were done. I didn't think they were too bad and at least I didn't have to sit through Anvil again I'll check their stuff out to get a better idea of what they sound like. The best way to describe them is Billy Idol singing for a modern alternative rock band.

Cooper keeps getting better each time I see him. I have no complaints over the set being the same since it's such a great song selection. The venue he played at, The Warner Theater, I had never been to before but it's a very nice and roomy 2,000 seat place. I had fourth row center but by the way it was set up it didn't seem like there was a bad seat in the house to view this show. My view was crystal clear with no obstructions or anything else to hinder my enjoyment of the show.

I liked this show better than the one I saw earlier this year. It was cool to see him outdoors in a general admission setting in August but I believe theaters like this are the places Alice is meant to play in. Everything sounded great and both the band and Alice were in top form. Orianthi wasn't playing the first time I saw him so this was my first time ever seeing her play. She fits in well in the rock enviroment, so hopefully doing a tour like this will inspire her to write rock material from now on.

The crowd was really good for everything except for when they did Clones. Once again I was only one of about ten people who knew the song. Before Alice left the stage he said "Go Steelers" which actually got a good amount of boos from the audience. I thought it was pretty funny but under no circumstances is there any booing allowed at an Alice Cooper show

There seemed to be a lot of people like myself from out of town. I saw a number of New York plates as we left the parking structure and when we exited the venue and trying to find our way back to where we parked some people from Cleveland were trying to do the same thing. Erie isn't that big of a city so i'm not surprised they were a lot of people from the surrounding areas coming in for this show.

This was my fifth time seeing Cooper and he's now become my second favorite live act behind Rush. When it comes to picking a setlist for each tour, his performance, stage presence and show the man just gets it and knows how it's supposed to be done live.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Great review. I'm not sure if I'm surprised at the reaction to Clones. When I saw him, it seemed like everyone knew the song (although I imagine everyone in the first few rows in familiar with most of his material), but I get the feeling a lot of people who go to see Cooper don't know anything post "You and Me" except for "Poison". I love that Steelers line. I've never heard him break character before (at least, not in any way that he normally does).

I also have to agree with the Orianthi comment. I was so surprised when I checked out her music. I'd definitely listen to her music if it was more rock-based (one song from her EP sounded decent, but the rest sounded like Pop).

Also, since we are near the end of the tour, I imagine the next tour announcement will come around the end of the year. He has nothing lined up after next week until August, and I can't see him touring anywhere other than North America first. The next tour will probably be his best too! W2MN songs combined with songs from RYFAY (if he doesn't deliver on this, I'll be quite sad) should make for a great show!

Edit: I totally called this one wrong. Alice says he's got six months off, so it seems unlikely that anything will happen until July: http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story...ry_left_column
10/17 - Satan
10/18 - King Diamond

Last edited by Spiner202; 12-11-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 AM
N00B

I never thought I'd say this, but good interview from the Marietta Daily Journal. It's been a few years since the Coop has been down to Atlanta, so I'm really hoping he comes back on next year's tour. I know Rob Zombie has been teasing some new live dates, so I wouldnt be all that surprised if they ended up doing another Halloween Hootenanny tour.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Orianthi's solo stuff really disappoints me. She's a hell of a guitar player... so why make second rate Avril Lavigne music? Pushed in a commerical direction by a greedy manager when she was too young to know better, would be my guess.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Great review. I'm not sure if I'm surprised at the reaction to Clones. Also, since we are near the end of the tour, I imagine the next tour announcement will come around the end of the year. He has nothing lined up after next week until August, and I can't see him touring anywhere other than North America first. The next tour will probably be his best too! W2MN songs combined with songs from RYFAY (if he doesn't deliver on this, I'll be quite sad) should make for a great show!
I understand why Clones doesn't get much of a reaction. FTF through Dada all were huge flops for him in sales. In fact I couldn't even get those albums for a long time because they were out of print. At least his web page has them for sale and that's how I got them.

I'm not a huge fan of the new album but if if he decides to add anything in whenever he tours again hopefully he sticks with the better songs like I Am Made Of You, Caffine, I'll Bite Your Face Off and When Hell Comes Home. I didn't hear anything about him wanting to play material from RYFAY. I'm not sure if he's even done anything off it since that tour. Freedom, Prince Of Darkness and Roses On White Lace would be great to hear live. He could so some cool theatrics with ROWL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Orianthi's solo stuff really disappoints me. She's a hell of a guitar player... so why make second rate Avril Lavigne music? Pushed in a commerical direction by a greedy manager when she was too young to know better, would be my guess.
That was my guess as to why she writes that kind of material. Or maybe she just thought that was the best way to get noticed, i'm not sure. But with her playing ability combined with her looks, I don't feel she needs to write pop songs to get noticed. Hopefully this tour and Alice himself will help bring out her rock side now.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
That was my guess as to why she writes that kind of material. Or maybe she just thought that was the best way to get noticed, i'm not sure. But with her playing ability combined with her looks, I don't feel she needs to write pop songs to get noticed. Hopefully this tour and Alice himself will help bring out her rock side now.
Pretty sure being Michael Jackon's guitarist, Alice Cooper's guitarist, and Steve Vai's favourite young guitar player will have done it

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I'd love to see stuff from Raise Your Fist And Yell.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I'd love to see stuff from Raise Your Fist And Yell.
So long as it's not 'Chop, Chop, Chop'.

'Gail' in a medley with some other rare stuff would be damn sweet.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
So long as it's not 'Chop, Chop, Chop'.

'Gail' in a medley with some other rare stuff would be damn sweet.
I have a really crappy sounding bootleg from the RYFAY tour lying around somewhere and he did do Chop, Chop, Chop on it and followed it with Gail and ROWL like on the album. The three songs tell a story anyways so it makes sense he did it like that.

If he does do anything off that album it needs to be ROWL. That's his best song from the 80s.

Tags
alice cooper