Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Rats off to ya

Primus - Green Naugahyde

This album quickly became one of my favorite releases of 2011 and I figured it deserves it's own review thread. I'm gonna try something new and do it track by track. I'm not including the intro and outro on the track listing.

1. Hennepin Crawler - A great album opener with a sick bass line. The bass sound on this album is a little different then past Primus releases but Claypool's vocals sound just like old school Primus on this track. The song has kind of a dark tone to it but the lyrics are what you would expect from this band "when you ride that hennepin crawler for a dollar you get to bite that pie in the sky". 9/10

2. Last Salmon Man - This song is the 4th in Primus' ongoing Fisherman's Chronicles series that started with John the Fisherman on Frizzle Fry. This song just might be my favorite in that whole series of songs. Though 6 minutes isn't too long this song kind of feels like an epic. I really love the vocals before the chorus, it kinda has a Spongebob vibe to it. Great track. 10/10

3. Eternal Consumption Engine - This is the only song on the album completely written by guitarist Larry LaLonde and it's a rather interesting one. This song is amusing with it's lyrics about american consumerism which is an unusual topic for Primus. The backing vocals towards the end of this song are hilarious. "EVERYTHING NOWADAYS IS MADE IN CHINA!" 7/10

4. Tragedy's a' Comin' - This song is the funkiest and probably most accessible track on the album. The bass line and even the chorus are very catchy. I can't fully understand what this song is about but I can tell it's something about crazy end times preachers. If your gonna listen to one song on this album to see how it is definitely check out this one. 10/10

5. Eyes of a Squirrel - This one is probably my least favorite track on the album. It just kinda drags on and never really catches my attention which makes me want to skip it every time I spin this album. It's not a bad song by any means, just a less interesting one. 5/10

6. Jilly's On Smack - This song was the first glimpse of what this album will be like when they started including it in their live sets earlier this year. I wasn't entirely impressed with the song when I heard the live version but I like the studio version much more then the early live version. The bass line in this song isn't too complicated but it's thick and really sticks in your head. The lyrics are about a girl who got addicted to drugs while away from her family and apparently she isn't coming back for the holidays because she died or something. The song actually comes off as pretty sad until Les starts making silly noises towards the end. Another great tune. 10/10

7. Lee Van Cleef - After a sadder, more serious song this one is more upbeat and fun. This puts a smile on my face when I listen to it. It's got a catchy bass line and the vocals are fun as well. 9/10

8. Moron TV - Similar to Eternal Consumption Engine here we get more social commentary from Primus. This one's another dark sounding song with Les talking about american's who sit it front of the tv and have no ability to think for themselves. I don't recall Primus doing much social commentary before but on this album they don't do it that bad. Nothing can really ever sound too serious when Les Claypool is the one singing it. 8/10

9. Green Ranger - This one's really short and I don't really have much to say about it. It's a solid tune. 7/10

10. HOINFODAMAN - The title of this song means "hoeing for the man". And it's more social commentary. This time about advertising and people selling out and becoming slaves (or "hoes" in this case) for the corporations. The chorus says it all "I used to be a pimp but now i'm hoinfodaman". We also get more comical backing vocals towards the end of the song. Damn that's a juicy burger. 9/10

11. Extinction Burst - The album really ends with a bang. This is by far the heaviest song on the album. The bass line is probably also the craziest this album has to offer. Primus wrote a good share of heavy songs back in the day but after Pork Soda they kinda stopped writing songs like that. This song might not be as heavy as Too Many Puppies or Jerry Was a Racecar Driver but I can see myself moshing to this one. Great song to end a great album. 10/10

All in all one of my favorite releases of 2011 and a great return for Primus. I don't mid the fact that they're playing this in it's entirety on tour at all.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I need to check this one out, I've heard a lot of good things.
5/21 - Primus
6/28 - Iron Maiden - Bergen, Norway
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

I missed this thread back when I was super-busy. I was meaning to do something exactly like this for this album, but never did. I'll stop by and make some comments later, hopefully.