Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

congrats on a job well done buddy

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Here it is... My #1 favorite headbanging song from the Best show I ever attended.

My goal was to finish this list at the end of November before everyone started their Year End lists and I got 1 out of 2 right. hahahahaha Seriously though I'm glad to see so many lists and enjoy checking them all out. The more lists, the merrier! Props for everyone for starting so early this year. I usually don't let other peoples lists influence me very much but 2011 will be that exception. I did a Top 20 in March or April I think and I'm not sure if any of those picks would still be up there. There was so much good music released in 2011 yet nothing that totally blew my mind either. I predict this year will be our most diverse lists to date.

On to #1 on my list. There have been many Metallica debates on here throughout the years. Most commonly is which Metallica album is the best. From memory and recent lists it seems Ride The Lightning is the choice and I totally see why. The album is borderline perfection even though I made a decent argument for Master of Puppets on the Damage Inc post I think.

That being said my favorite Metallica album is Kill Em All. If I were to do a Top 100 albums I'd guess it would be #3 for me All-Time. When you factor in the newer cd versions with Am I Evil and Blitzkreig it takes it up a solid notch. I just love the speed, riffs, solos and lyrics of every song on that album.

I reviewed this entire show on the site back in 2009. The highlight of the show was Metal Militia with the Metal up your Ass sing-a-long. My entire life I've hated sing-a-longs like they do with Searching.... and when bands do the whole which side can scream louder. That shit is so cliche' but that sing-a-long that night was EPIC! Plus they gave us the history of wanting to name the album Metal Up Your Ass but the record company wouldn't let them. That made them even cooler to me and gave the sing-a-long meaning. Nothing cooler than saying Fuck You to record companies!

Here's a link to my concert review of the best show I've ever attended including my #1 favorite headbanging song of All Time. Thanks for checking it out and playing along.

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11425

#1 - Metallica - Metal Militia

Metal Militia Live Baltimore 1985 with the Metal Up Your Ass sing-a-long!!

Metal Militia Live - Metal Up Your Ass
That...is a good ass #1 choice.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Headbanger

Thanks guys! It was fun taking those trips down memory lane. Finding a great version of Metal Militia from that night on youtube was the icing on the cake.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Headbanger

Somehow I finished this list without including my Best Concert Week ever. I'll share that one coming up. It also includes by biggest concert regret...
Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Thanks guys! It was fun taking those trips down memory lane. Finding a great version of Metal Militia from that night on youtube was the icing on the cake.

My pleasure, you had quite a few great choices.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Somehow I finished this list without including my Best Concert Week ever. I'll share that one coming up. It also includes by biggest concert regret...
Looking forward to reading it, man.

Glad your keeping the thread alive and kicking. Don't let it end yet! Got too much awesome stories under your sleeve that you gotta share with us.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Looking forward to reading it, man.

Glad your keeping the thread alive and kicking. Don't let it end yet! Got too much awesome stories under your sleeve that you gotta share with us.
Thanks Bro. Working on my story I stumbled upon these gems from my high school days. Some great memories from these shows.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Headbanger

Ok, here it is. The Best Concert Week of my life. Even though it could have been so much better if I didn't have to include my #1 concert regret of all-time.

I bought tickets in advance for all 3 shows. The 1st show I had to enter a lottery because Pearl Jam was in the midst of their ban on Ticketmaster and playing larger venues that supported Ticketmaster. I won the chance to buy 2 tickets to see them at the GMU PAtriot Center and was jakked to be seeing them in a small venue. Add to that finally being able to see Tool, the band I worshipped at the time at Hammerjacks followed by my favorite vocalist of all time Rob Halford and the mighty Anthrax with John Bush all playing the same nightclub. I knew I'd remember this week for the rest of my life but little did I know why...

I took 4 vacation days for this epic week. Both Fridays and 2 days for Tool because that was the night I was going to get rowdy and probably lose my mind. Tool is very emotional music to me and I'm not a very emotional person. Something about those Opiate songs tapped into a side of me that I loved. The same emotion I felt during Freedom when Zack from Rage Against the Machine would sing ANGER IS A GIFT! It's a combination of emotional, powerful lyrics with great riffs that is my favorite thing about music.

So, I wake up Friday, April 8th to start my epic concert week to the worst news. Kurt Cobain was found dead. I had recently bailed on seeing Nirvana live because they only played DC and I hated driving into DC. Not only was I sick that I didn't go to that show but I was fairly certain Pearl Jam would cancel their show that night. Eddie had been canceling shows for stomach issues and this was way worse than a belly ache I thought. I contacted GMU and they said the show was on. I wanted to know because it's a 90 min drive. I was still thinking it might get canceled but we soldiered on.

We get to the show and it's packed but very somber. You can feel the electricity but it was certainly an anticipation for a show that I've never felt. What was going to happen? Eddie came out by himself drunk as fuck and gave a very emotional, moving 5 minute speech about his friend Kurt and dedicated the show to him. They opened with Release and people were balling. I've never seen anything like it and actually had to fight back tears at one point. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment but after that they went on to play 2 hours and 30 plus minutes killing it all night. After 4 encores we were ready to leave and I said I need to stay to see if they play my favorite Pearl Jam song. I figured the odds were 20-1 that they would play ANY song after that epic performance and probably 50-1 it would be my song. They came out 1 last time and did Indifference and fucking KILLED IT!

I walked out of that venue with a feeling I've never had leaving a show. It was like satisfied, spent, happy, almost every emotion out there. This was my 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam and by far the best show they did. I still like their music but haven't seen them live since. After that night any show they would play just wouldn't compare for me. One of my 5 most incredible concert experiences of all time.

Sorry didn't expect such a diatribe. Part 2 coming later...
Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Ok, here it is. The Best Concert Week of my life. Even though it could have been so much better if I didn't have to include my #1 concert regret of all-time.

I bought tickets in advance for all 3 shows. The 1st show I had to enter a lottery because Pearl Jam was in the midst of their ban on Ticketmaster and playing larger venues that supported Ticketmaster. I won the chance to buy 2 tickets to see them at the GMU PAtriot Center and was jakked to be seeing them in a small venue. Add to that finally being able to see Tool, the band I worshipped at the time at Hammerjacks followed by my favorite vocalist of all time Rob Halford and the mighty Anthrax with John Bush all playing the same nightclub. I knew I'd remember this week for the rest of my life but little did I know why...

I took 4 vacation days for this epic week. Both Fridays and 2 days for Tool because that was the night I was going to get rowdy and probably lose my mind. Tool is very emotional music to me and I'm not a very emotional person. Something about those Opiate songs tapped into a side of me that I loved. The same emotion I felt during Freedom when Zack from Rage Against the Machine would sing ANGER IS A GIFT! It's a combination of emotional, powerful lyrics with great riffs that is my favorite thing about music.

So, I wake up Friday, April 8th to start my epic concert week to the worst news. Kurt Cobain was found dead. I had recently bailed on seeing Nirvana live because they only played DC and I hated driving into DC. Not only was I sick that I didn't go to that show but I was fairly certain Pearl Jam would cancel their show that night. Eddie had been canceling shows for stomach issues and this was way worse than a belly ache I thought. I contacted GMU and they said the show was on. I wanted to know because it's a 90 min drive. I was still thinking it might get canceled but we soldiered on.

We get to the show and it's packed but very somber. You can feel the electricity but it was certainly an anticipation for a show that I've never felt. What was going to happen? Eddie came out by himself drunk as fuck and gave a very emotional, moving 5 minute speech about his friend Kurt and dedicated the show to him. They opened with Release and people were balling. I've never seen anything like it and actually had to fight back tears at one point. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment but after that they went on to play 2 hours and 30 plus minutes killing it all night. After 4 encores we were ready to leave and I said I need to stay to see if they play my favorite Pearl Jam song. I figured the odds were 20-1 that they would play ANY song after that epic performance and probably 50-1 it would be my song. They came out 1 last time and did Indifference and fucking KILLED IT!

I walked out of that venue with a feeling I've never had leaving a show. It was like satisfied, spent, happy, almost every emotion out there. This was my 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam and by far the best show they did. I still like their music but haven't seen them live since. After that night any show they would play just wouldn't compare for me. One of my 5 most incredible concert experiences of all time.

Sorry didn't expect such a diatribe. Part 2 coming later...
Damn dude that was a very epic and emotional story. Thanks for sharing that with us

ahahahahhaah Oh boy I can't wait to hear about the Tool concert. I have only seen Tool once but sadly it was at a big ass arena and I had nose bleeds too. I still had a blast but I just can't imagine how intense their shows were like at small little clubs like the one you attended. Damn, 10 bucks to see Tool at a lil' club during their prime(this was during the opiate era heh, did you ever go to the undertow/anema tours? I sure as hell hope you did!?)! I paid 50 bucks plus CONVENIENCE Charge to see them in 2006 during their 10,000 Days tour and I ended up getting nose bleeds

Still....It was an epic show indeed....and don't even get me started on the epic traserz,visuals and weird ass shit going on in the backround on their big ass wall.
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 12-07-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Damn, those are some cool concerts. Not to take anything away from you seeing the Powerslave tour, it's still really cool, but after seeing Somewhere Back In Time I don't feel nearly as jealous of people who saw the Powerslave tour as those who saw 7th Son, Somewhere In Time, Piece of Mind, etc. Maiden needs to do more retro tours for the younger generation to feel better about missing it the first time around.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac