Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
N00B

Avenged Sevenfold -- Madison, WI -- December 2nd, 2011

Yes, I know someone posted a setlist for the Minneapolis show the following night. But I decided I was going to write a review for this a couple weeks prior to the event so I am still going to post mine. This is my 2nd review for this forum, the first being the Disturbed show I attended in Milwaukee in May of 2011. I write a lot of background info in this review so I separated it from the "actual review" for those who just want to read about the show and its setlist.

BACKGROUND INFO:
So I am 18 years old and I live in Wisconsin. I first got into Avenged Sevenfold a little more than a year after their 2007 self-titled album came out. A friend of mine recommended I listen to Avenged Sevenfold so like I was saying I got their self-titled album, listened to it, and I was immediately hooked with A Little Piece Of Heaven (which is still my favorite song of theirs to this day) and Critical Acclaim. Following that experience, I got their albums City Of Evil and Sounding The Seventh Trumpet. I enjoyed them very much. Then, as I exploring other bands, like I always do, I sort of forgot about Avenged Sevenfold for a while.

Eventually the new year of 2010 came along and around that time I heard that The Rev died at the age of 27. I was very sad to hear the news. and it was mysterious that his death was attributed to "natural causes". For a short while there, I was left wondering about the future of the band and what the album they were working on would come to? But when I heard they were going to finish the album with Mike Portnoy recording the drum parts, I can't tell you how excited I was since I am a Dream Theater fan too. So I got the album Nightmare when it came out and I enjoyed it immensely. I also bought Waking The Fallen at the time which was the last album of theirs I had to get. So I was excited when I heard that Avenged Sevenfold and Disturbed were coming to Madison, WI as part of the first Uproar tour on October 4, 2010. I didn't make it to that show because I had decided to go see Muse (another band I love, don't hate me metalheads...) the same week on October 6, 2010 ironically with the friend who initially turned me on to Avenged Sevenfold. So, by the end of 2010 Mike Portnoy was out of Avenged Sevenfold and Dream Theater. His departure from Avenged Sevenfold wasn't that big of a deal to me because I always knew that his involvement with Avenged Sevenfold was going to be a temporary deal.

So, the new year of 2011 came along and Avenged Sevenfold got their current drummer Arin Ilejay who I don't know too much about but when I saw him nailing the drum parts to the song on audience shot videos from YouTube he was on my okay-list. Anyways, Avenged Sevenfold came to Wisconsin a couple more times that year before the show that I attended and am reviewing further down the page. The first was part of their Nightmare After Christmas leg of the tour with Stone Sour, Hollywood Undead, & New Medicine during February in La Crosse which is about a four hour drive from where I live which was a potential problem to begin with because I don't drive and it was during the school week which at that time was my senior year of high school. It actually got postponed one day because the weather was so bad. The second time was in July in Cadott which would have been again about a four hour drive, plus since this was part of Rock Fest the tickets were around $80 per ticket so I decided that was a no-go. Then, they were supposed to come to Milwaukee with Three Days Grace and Seether in September as part of the 2011 Uproar tour which I was planning on attending because I live in a very close suburb of Milwaukee. But a couple days before I was going to purchase the tickets, Uproar cancelled the whole show due to "production issues" whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean. Then they scheduled a show in Michigan on the same they that they cancelled the Milwaukee show, I was pissed off at Uproar and sad because I thought I wouldn't be able to see Avenged Sevenfold this tour because they had already came to Wisconsin three times.

When they announced they would be doing one more American leg of the tour called Buried Alive with the bands Black Veil Brides, Asking Alexandria, and Hollywood Undead, I had a little hope that it would come to Wisconsin. Low and behold, they scheduled TWO Wisconsin dates: one in Madison and another in Green Bay. The Madison date was the only date not to feature Hollywood Undead as one of the opening acts who I really enjoy but it is way closer to me than Green Bay and not during the school week where I wouldn't have to get up early the next day for a college class. Since beggars can't be choosers, I got my mom to purchase tickets to the Madison show and I got the latest Black Veil Brides and Asking Alexandria albums (Set The World On Fire and Reckless & Relentless) to somewhat prepare myself for the show.

THE "ACTUAL REVIEW":
So first off I want to thank my mom for driving me and accompanying me to the show since she is by no means a metal fan. The day of the concert came at 4 we got in the car and drove to the venue. We got to the venue, the Alliant Energy Center (a coliseum) around quarter to 6 and we looked at hte merchandise. I ended up getting my 2nd Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt there which was the posted for the Buried Alive tour and I got an Asking Alexandria t-shirt there since I enjoyed their album Reckless & Relentless very much a month or two prior to the show. It was all general admission, so we got/chose our seats at around 6:10 and we waited for the schedule show time which was 7:00. While we were waiting one of the songs that came over the P.A. system was People=Shit by Slipknot which I gladly sang along to.

The first band was Black Veil Brides, who actually started four minutes early, and played a 40 minute set from 6:56-7:36. I wrote down the setlist while I was there and the one song I didn't recognize the singer announced the name of. So here's their setlist:

New Religion
Youth & Whisky
Rebel Yell
God Bless You
Love Isn't Always Fair
All Your Hate
The Legacy
Fallen Angels

^ Rebel Yell is a Billy Idol cover which they recorded for their upcoming EP Rebels. But supposedly they filmed the upcoming video for their cover of Rebel Yell at this show according to an online post from the band earlier that day. Also, after Rebel Yell I got to witness my first live guitar smashing. During their set the singer was having issues with a member of the audience who appeared to have been provoking the singer. In between one of the songs, the singer dared that audience member to get up on stage and threatened to beat him up with a comment along the lines of "I bet you don't know how embarrassing it is to be beat up by a guy wearing mascara". When the guy wouldn't get up on stage and kept on provoking the singer, he had the crowd in the pit turn and face the guy to scream "fuck you" in unsion. Then they went on with their opening slot. They were the weakest band of the night but that's not a very negative comment because I actually enjoyed them.

The second band of the night was Asking Alexandria, a band I was really looking forward to seeing live after listening to their album Reckless & Relentless a total of FOUR times prior to attending the show. They played a 41 minute set from 7:57-8:38 and they played three songs I didn't recognize but luckily their singer also announced the titles. So here is their setlist:

Welcome
Closure
Breathless
Not The American Average
Final Episode (Let's Change The Channel)
I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps A Cowboy King
Dedication
Dear Insanity
To The Stage
Morte Et Dabo

^ Their set was intense and it blew me away. I will be buying their first album Stand Up And Scream in the near future. At the end of their set, in true punk fashion, the singer ended the show by saying "good night, I hope you all die"

Then, came the wait for Avenged Sevenfold. During the wait, most of the classic Metallica album Master Of Puppets up to halfway through Leper Messiah was played over the P.A. system. Also during that wait, we saw a very interesting balloon that luckily someone posted a video of on YouTube, found here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VNzOff--g

Finally, Avenged Sevenfold took the stage and played a 94 minute set from 9:15-10:49. Here's the setlist:

Nightmare
Critical Acclaim
Welcome To The Family
Almost Easy
Buried Alive
So Far Away
Afterlife
Second Heartbeat
A Little Piece Of Heaven
Bat Country
Unholy Confessions

ENCORE:
Beast And The Harlot

^ They had a cool stage setup with a giant deathbat and lots of pyro. They rocked the roof off the coliseum, as expected. I was extremely happy that they played A Little Piece Of Heaven, my favorite Avenged Sevenfold song. So Far Away was one of the most beautiful concert moments I have ever witnessed with cell phones and lighters in the air as a tribute to The Rev. Before Second Heartbeat, M. Shadows started talking to the crowd and one women flashed her boobs at the band which started multiple women doing so. Before A Little Piece Of Heaven, M. Shadows joked that it was going to be "tittie intermission #2". He also introduced Bat Country as being about the American dream. It was an amazing show, only disappointments was that they didn't play Seize The Day or any song off Sounding The Seventh Trumpet. But I went home very happy that I had finally saw them live with my voice almost gone like most of the concerts I get to attend.
Rise Against (9/11)

Last edited by velvetgrass; 12-05-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Bitch, shut up and blast beat my meat like a Pete Sandoval with titties.

tl;dr

1/19- Despise You
1/21- Castle
2/14- Hatebreed
3/16- AILD
Old 12-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Hopefully I can see them in a few weeks.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_streets View Post
tl;dr
Just read the review, it has it's own bolded underlined heading. I separated it from the background info for a reason.
Rise Against (9/11)
Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetgrass View Post
Just read the review, it has it's own bolded underlined heading. I separated it from the background info for a reason.
tl;dr still applies.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
tl;dr still applies.
Whatever, I don't deal with "critic haters". The ones who actually read it will find a passionate review trying to give other people the feel of the concert which can't always be condensed to a 5th grade speed-review level.

EDIT: If I feel there are enough complaints about length, I will unhappily edit it if that's what this audience wants.
Rise Against (9/11)

Last edited by velvetgrass; 12-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM

What's tl;dr? too long;direct review? If that's the complaint, then that's stupid. There are lots of reviews on here that have extensive reviews. Sep is known for his long reviews, and most of them are longer than this one.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

too lazy; didn't read. Usually used if the post in question is particularly long. But this wasn't long at all. I admit my eyes did scroll over the background part but the review itself was perfect length.

velvetgrass, I think more people here would hate you if you saw A7x instead of Muse

Last edited by larvtard; 12-05-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
too lazy; didn't read. Usually used if the post in question is particularly long. But this wasn't long at all. I admit my eyes did scroll over the background part but the review itself was perfect length.

velvetgrass, I think more people here would hate you if you saw A7x instead of Muse
Oh that makes sense then. I had never seen it before. Do people really need to go out of this way to comment on a review they don't care about reading?

Oh and there are a good amount of Muse fans on here. I have posted a Muse set once or twice before.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Oh that makes sense then. I had never seen it before. Do people really need to go out of this way to comment on a review they don't care about reading?

Oh and there are a good amount of Muse fans on here. I have posted a Muse set once or twice before.
You must not read reddit?

Or go on the internet?

Tags
asking alexandria, avenged sevenfold, black veil brides