It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM
The Cheese

Candlelight (Featuring Maiden33!)

Five years ago today my band at the time released a song called "Candlelight Requiem." Today I've got a new recording of this song, which was mostly done in California this summer. It even features an excellent guitar solo from Maiden33, who was awesome enough to lend his considerable axe talents to this project. The majority of this song was recorded very quickly in two days, which included writing some new music and lyrics, so it's definitely not perfect, nor is this the definitive version of the song. But to give a nod to the anniversary of the original version, here it is.

Would definitely love to know what you guys think!

Candlelight
Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I don't comment informally on stuff like this very often, but that's great. Love the vocals in particular. Not sure about the clipped cymbals in the soft parts at the beginning, and I think the entrance of the electric guitars needs more impact, if you see what I mean, but otherwise it's awesome.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM
In Search of Truth

This turned out really well, I have to say I really like it - which is probably a good thing, haha. I have to admit I'm kinda jealous I wrote this solo for this song, because I ended up loving it and now I wanna use if in something of my own, haha.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned Asshole

*gives you a box of tissues*
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

This is awesome! Not my style of music, but recorded very well and the song-writing is top class. Maiden33, great solo, love the harmonies!

How was it recorded, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:30 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
I don't comment informally on stuff like this very often, but that's great. Love the vocals in particular. Not sure about the clipped cymbals in the soft parts at the beginning, and I think the entrance of the electric guitars needs more impact, if you see what I mean, but otherwise it's awesome.
Thank you

I'll have to render one without the extra drums in the beginning, just to try it out. They've been there so long I don't notice them (and when they were first added there were not any orchestrations at all.) I also agree about the guitars needing more impact when they enter. I really appreciate the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
This turned out really well, I have to say I really like it - which is probably a good thing, haha. I have to admit I'm kinda jealous I wrote this solo for this song, because I ended up loving it and now I wanna use if in something of my own, haha.

Glad you like it! But hey, unless it's just something you don't want to do, which is understandable, it's not like any of us would complain about you using that solo again. This song was an entirely for-fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
This is awesome! Not my style of music, but recorded very well and the song-writing is top class. Maiden33, great solo, love the harmonies!

How was it recorded, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks! His solo is quite a beast imo.

Are you asking how his solo was recorded or the song in general? If the solo, I'll defer to him since he recorded it and sent it over.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 12-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post

Thanks! His solo is quite a beast imo.

Are you asking how his solo was recorded or the song in general? If the solo, I'll defer to him since he recorded it and sent it over.
The song in general, specifically all the guitar parts, the tone is dam good!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
In Search of Truth

My own guitar solo was honestly recorded by me plugging my Line 6 Spider III head directly into the "line in" on my laptop. I obviously put a good bit of time into my sound in advance. The Line 6 is now my "back up" amp as I have an all-tube Blackstar HT Stage 100 now - but it's great for recording. Just gotta keep the amp volume and line-in level rather low so as not to get a lot of clipping. For the recording I honestly just used Audacity software, which is free online (though it's a bitch to find the one I have that won't give you an assload of latency problems). Aside from that, I just loaded up the demo he sent me and recorded over it, layering a few tracks where necessary. Then exported the raw solo tracks and emailed them to him.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
The song in general, specifically all the guitar parts, the tone is dam good!
Most of the song was recorded in California, and some of it was recorded at my place in Ohio. In June my friend from California came to visit. He wrote new vocal melodies for the beginning of the song and we recorded it to that point on my Pro Tools setup, and then went to California. We tracked the vocals at his place, where he also runs Pro Tools, but on a much more elaborate setup than mine.

There's two main guitar parts on this song and those are both from a Mexican Fender Strat that belongs to my buddy. It's a pretty tweaked guitar, with replaced pickups, though I don't remember what kind. The tone is actually from Line 6 Pod Farm 2 - not the actual box - but the Pro Tools plugin version. It's a tone I've spent a fair amount of time tweaking, so glad to hear the tone is liked Those tracks were recorded in California.

There's two other guitar tracks (various leads), and they're from my Fender Deluxe Power Stratocaster (what a terrible guitar name imo ) running through the same plugin. I recorded those back here in Ohio. The bass was recorded on a Schecter bass running into an AmpexSVX plugin. That tone was created by my buddy. The drum part was also created by him and recorded through MIDI, so the drums sounds are actually EastWest's Ministry of Rock, specifically the Black kit. The orchestrations are from their Symphonic Orchestras sample package as well and I composed them (via MIDI) after the rest of the song was done.

In general I did most of the other mixing and production - all in Pro Tools. I used backwards reverb to help transition to the chorus (we ran out of time to write a proper transition.) And I also recorded myself speaking for the spoken word verse (which wasn't supposed to be spoken, but we ran out of time to track vocals on it in California.) The piano at the end is a Steinway D concert grand, and I'm pretty happy with how it sounds.

I really wish we would've had more time in California to record the song. When I was there we wrote the chorus one night, and recorded it and the rest of the song the next.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 12-04-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
My own guitar solo was honestly recorded by me plugging my Line 6 Spider III head directly into the "line in" on my laptop. I obviously put a good bit of time into my sound in advance. The Line 6 is now my "back up" amp as I have an all-tube Blackstar HT Stage 100 now - but it's great for recording. Just gotta keep the amp volume and line-in level rather low so as not to get a lot of clipping. For the recording I honestly just used Audacity software, which is free online (though it's a bitch to find the one I have that won't give you an assload of latency problems). Aside from that, I just loaded up the demo he sent me and recorded over it, layering a few tracks where necessary. Then exported the raw solo tracks and emailed them to him.
Yeah, it worked out pretty well. I manually lined up your solo tracks to the song, but I think they sound mostly in phase with the rest of the song. In a perfect world I would've made it out to Pennsylvania to track your solo directly into Pro Tools, but either way, it's awesome you contributed. I think the song really deserved an epic solo, and you delivered!