Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-01-2011, 03:01 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Being drunk at shows is fun, but c'mon man, you have to remember the performance the next day!

And I'm assuming you mean Melechesh as the band who upstaged Rotting Christ. Fuck yeah. I didn't even stay for Rotting Christ
lol not if you're as drunk as I was at that show...

And yeah you're right about Melechesh. I'd be lying if I said fuckin Abigail Williams was better than Rotting Christ But you should've stayed for RC, they were really good.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
lol not if you're as drunk as I was at that show...

And yeah you're right about Melechesh. I'd be lying if I said fuckin Abigail Williams was better than Rotting Christ But you should've stayed for RC, they were really good.
Never really gotten into Rotting Christ, figured their performance wouldn't have converted me. Maybe I was wrong...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Ghoul

Date seen: October 31st, 2011

Ghoul are another one of those bands that I've been waiting to see forever now. I do believe that this was their first time in Chicago so I'm glad I got to see them then, who knows when they will come back! They were the first band on the GWAR tour, so naturally their set wasn't very long. But for what it was, it was all I expected it to be: AWESOME. They played fast, heavy and all around intense. A big part of why they were awesome live was when they played Graveyard Mosh/Ghoul. That is one of my favorite Ghoul songs ever, and to actually hear something from their incredible first album is a gift. I also overheard a lot of people saying that that song was their favorite from them as well, which I was happy to hear. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again at MDF next year, hopefully with a longer set or more songs from the first 2 albums.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Revocation

Date seen: June 21st, 2011

I had wanted to see Revocation last year with Misery Index... but with Despised Icon as the headliner and the date of the show being inconvenient from what I remember, I couldn't make it. Luckily this year they had came back supporting Forbidden. I had seen Forbidden last year and they put on a great show, but the main reason I went was for Revocation. I'm going to be honest, they were definitely the best band of the night. They even upstaged Forbidden! These guys are fucking monsters at their instruments. Hell, I'd even say that over half the people at the show were there for Revocation! They only played 6 songs, 2 from each of their 3 albums they have out now (this was before Chaos of Forms was released as well) but those were some damn good 6 songs. They've gotten REALLY big recently so hopefully they'll be going through on a headlining run, or supporting better bands (lol Children of Bodom and Eluveitie... no thanks!)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Cannabis Corpse

Date seen: October 29th, 2011

When I heard that these guys were gonna be touring with The Black Dahlia Murder, I was seriously hoping that they would hit up the coffee house in the town where I go to school (basically bumfuck nowhere) again, since TBDM has been there for the past 2 Octobers. Unfortunately they weren't going anywhere near there or Illinois in general, but Cannabis Corpse did have a one off headlining show in Chicago! These guys are extremely talented musicians, you'd really think they were a gimmick at first by the name and song titles, but hell no! These guys play fucking quality death metal and have an awesome live show! The way they did play live reminded me of Cannibal Corpse in some ways, such as the singer announcing every song title before they played, but not headbanging like a maniac throughout the whole time! But they still kill live and to see a headlining set from them was amazing.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Revocation are fucking amazing live. And I'd love to see Cannabis Corpse; they're better than most death metal bands today yet they're a "joke" band.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
And I'd love to see Cannabis Corpse; they're better than most death metal bands today yet they're a "joke" band.
The whole joke band label is fuckin stupid. I think Tenacious D and Green Jelly probably deserve the label but just cause a band has humorous lyrics they shouldn't be dismissed as nothing but a joke and have their music be ignored. In my opinion Cannabis Corpse, Gwar, Ghoul, and Dethklok all make awesome music but some assholes think less of them just cause they have a gimmick and a sense of humor. I also don't get why many bands get dismissed for being humorous but people take Devin Townsend seriously when he makes whole concept albums about an alien terrorizing earth in search of black coffee and a man who turns away a cheeseburger that contains the secrets of the universe because he's a vegetarian.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Cross Examination

Dates seen: March 26th, 2011, June 28th, 2011

The show that Cross Examination headlined was one that will go down forever in the Chicago thrash scene. My friend who promotes/books shows managed to get these guys to headline a show called "Klash of the Thrash" which also had 5 other local thrash/crossover bands playing. That was more than a show, that was a real fucking party. Every frat party I had ever been to in college can suck a monster one, because this is what parties should be like. People going crazy, drinking excessively, and all around having an awesome time. Unfortunately, I couldn't drink because I had drove there since I had no other way, but I made sure to take care of that issue when Nocturnal and Witchaven came through 2 months later. But Cross Examination was a great choice for a headliner. They played very fast and had the crowd going nuts for them. I also saw them again open up for Sacred Reich in June where they also had the place going nuts. They also did a sick cover of S.O.D.'s Kill Yourself! Chicago has been trying to get these guys back again very desperately because they are the perfect party band.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
The whole joke band label is fuckin stupid. I think Tenacious D and Green Jelly probably deserve the label but just cause a band has humorous lyrics they shouldn't be dismissed as nothing but a joke and have their music be ignored. In my opinion Cannabis Corpse, Gwar, Ghoul, and Dethklok all make awesome music but some assholes think less of them just cause they have a gimmick and a sense of humor. I also don't get why many bands get dismissed for being humorous but people take Devin Townsend seriously when he makes whole concept albums about an alien terrorizing earth in search of black coffee and a man who turns away a cheeseburger that contains the secrets of the universe because he's a vegetarian.
Hence the quotes I put in around joke.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Rats off to ya

Quote:
Hence the quotes I put in around joke.
I know what you meant, I wasn't arguing with you.