Fleetwood Mac -- Minneapolis, MN -- September 30th, 2014
The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 11-26-2011, 10:03 PM
When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

Mastodon -- Buffalo, NY -- November 26th, 2011

Great night at the Town Ballroom in Buffalo tonight. The place was packed and I would venture to say sold out if not close. We arrived there about 7 when the doors opened. The line was pretty long outside. There was a play at the theater next door and some well dressed people were standing in line for a minute before they realized it wasn't for their silly play. Wouldn't they be in for a rude awakening if they actually went in?...ha..Anyway, we went in got a nice spot on the right side of the stage.

First up was Red Fang. I only knew a couple songs from them, but liked what I've heard. I'm always game for some sludge. Well they made me a fan tonight. They were really good. I'll have to check out their stuff soon. A friend of mine there that likes them says the set tonight was the same as the rest of the shows.

Next up was Dillinger Escape Plan, and they proceeded to suck ass for about 40 minutes.Their histrionics were kind of ridiculous and their music sounds like a total mess to me. Not my thing.

And now for the moment we were all waiting for...Mastodon! This was my first time seeing them, and they blew me away. They plowed right through the whole set. No breaks. No yammering. Just playing. That's how i like it. We were on Bill Keliher's side. That dude can play. The whole band was tight and sounded great. They definitely look like they are enjoying themselves, which is different than a couple years before. It's nice to see they got it together. Opening with DBV got the place going, but it exploded when the riff for Black tongue started. During Megalodon, almost the whole floor turned into a pit. The crowd were into every song, banging their heads and singing. Even drowning out Troy a lot. Especially the Blood Mountain and Leviathan stuff. The highlights for me were Black Tongue, Colony of Birchmen, Megalodon, Sleeping Giant, Ghost Of Karelia, All The Heavy Lifting, Spectrelight, Curl Of The Burl, Iron Tusk, MOTFA, and Blood & Thunder. I liked Mastodon before but now I have a newfound appreciation for them. Amazing band. What a great fuckin show! Anytime they come to Buffalo or near, I'll be there. And for anyone who questioned it or wondered it...Yes, Mastodon IS popular in Buffalo.

Dry Bone Valley
Black Tongue
Crystal Skull
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Colony Of Birchmen
Megalodon
Blasteroid
Sleeping Giant
Ghost Of Karelia
All The Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Curl Of The Burl
Bedazzled Fingernails
Circle Of Cysquatch
Aqua Dementia
Crack The Skye
Where Strides The Behemoth
Iron Tusk
March Of The Fire Ants
Blood & Thunder
Creature Lives (with the guitar player from DEP and roadies with their girlfriends)
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Mastodon was great, Red Fang was great, Dillinger was a mess, it was a disaster, worst band I have ever seen. They cameout and just made a buch of noise and screamed. Possibly the worst band ever.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM
N00B

All of the Dillinger hate on this board makes me giggly. Oh well! Seeing this tomorrow, can't wait.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

I don't think the Dillinger-haters on this board have ever listened to grindcore...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
N00B

I was there. Mastodon was selling red booty shorts that said "Asstodon" on the back. I ended up getting the redshirt with the hunter cover on the front.

Red Fang was really good. I hadn't heard them before but most people said they sounded similar to Mastodon and they were right. They have this stoner/sludge sound, really bass driven and cool sounding.

Now, about Dillinger Escape Plan, they aren't the band I would listen to on my iPod but their show is quite a spectacle and entertaining. The people in the pit were definitely passionate about them.

And Mastodon rocked the house. The Buffalo fans were really into it, especially the tracks from The Hunter. There was no stage banter whatsoever, just song after song. Well actually, Bill and Brent said something real quick at some point but then they started the next song. I think Bill said "Is anyone here from Rochester?" and then (I THINK) Brent said "I like being in this band, it's fucking loud". I read a lot of comments hating the song Creature Lives but the crowd loved it and it's the perfect closing song. After the show Brann and Troy talked for a bit, saying they are from Rochester. Brann said he had fun eating some wings and watching the Sabres win their game.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
"Never wanted your approval, never wanted your acceptance. Never wanted to be anything but me" LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
I don't think the Dillinger-haters on this board have ever listened to grindcore...
I have listend to Grindcore and that too is just a mess, pointless noise.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indestructible View Post
I have listend to Grindcore and that too is just a mess, pointless noise.
It's a government conspiracy, man.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
It's a government conspiracy, man.
I love you
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Even though I am a huge Dillinger fan, I do get all the hate for them. Their music is so out there and it's clearly not for everyone. They are probably the biggest love'em or hate'em band in all of metal. Nobody is indifferent on them, they get strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 10:40 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Even though I am a huge Dillinger fan, I do get all the hate for them. Their music is so out there and it's clearly not for everyone. They are probably the biggest love'em or hate'em band in all of metal. Nobody is indifferent on them, they get strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum.
I like Dillinger, but I'm not a big fan or anything.

No, I'd say Vektor is the biggest love it-or-hate it metal band

Tags
mastodon