Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 11-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
a) Eh...

b) Stay tuned.
Yeah I had a feeling... Nice curve ball with that last one. Not enough people respect live albums. Unleashed in the East has been in my All-Time Top 5 since the 1st day I heard it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Headbanger

I was out of the loop for a couple of days. Football game, Concert, Jager Chicks party. I give Jager a ton of credit. They might not hire the hottest Cheerleader type chicks but most of the Jager girls I've hung out with are cool as fuck and are passionate about the music and the bands they promote. If you're in a band you'd be surprised how easy it is to get sponsored by Jager. You might have to play a few covers to be able to book enough shows but trust me, it's worth it. Especially if you're young and just starting out. They treat their bands like GOLD!

Anyway, onto #7. One of the best songs ever. If you haven't heard it, check it out. If you don't have the Dark Angel - Darkness Descends cd you seriously need to go check it out. Until the day I die that cd will be entrenched in my Top 10 of all-time. I might go a year without listening to it and when I throw it in it always envokes such joy, anger and every emotion I have. I wish this lineup had made 1 more cd but it wasn't meant to be. As much as I like the next 2 cd's they put out this one is more raw and fast and has an energy matched my very, very few.

Speaking of raw and fast I included the Sadus cover of the song. Steve Digiorgio's beastly bass makes it total ear candy. Enjoy!

#7 - Dark Angel - Merciless Death

Sadus - Merciless Death
Old 11-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

It's quite amazing how Steve had such a clean sounding bass tone on that album and still the band was so heavy. It helped that the notes he played during that song do a great job of evoking tension, unlike a lot of bands throwing in a random clean guitar passage in on their album for no real reason.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
It's quite amazing how Steve had such a clean sounding bass tone on that album and still the band was so heavy. It helped that the notes he played during that song do a great job of evoking tension, unlike a lot of bands throwing in a random clean guitar passage in on their album for no real reason.
no doubt. Usually guys like him are overrated but in his case he is grossly underrated.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Headbanger

Keeping with the trend of great song on greatest albums ever made...

This was another band I found through a Zine. I always wondered how those Zines got distributed. How some dude in Boston could print all these things up and get responses from people in Florida. I'm assuming they would print a bunch up, mail them to local record stores and basically receive nothing in return. All hail those guys. I still have a bunch in a box somewhere. Would be cool to reminisce through them one day...

So some dude in a zine proclaimed Altars of Madness the Best Death Metal Album ever made back in 1990. Being mostly a fan of thrash/speed but a big fan of early Death I decided to check it out. There was a place in Randallstown, MD called Record Theater that defied all odds. It was the biggest Record Store in MD in a predominately black neighborhood and had the biggest Metal section of any record store I had ever been to in my life. I had a guy try to rob me there once with the old finger in the pocket trick and I laughed at him and kept walking. I had 4 cd longboxes in a bag and would have beaten his old ass to a bloody pulp with the help of Sacred Reich, Morbid Angel, Kreator & Flotsam & Jetsam had he not scurried off.

By the way am I the only one who is shocked that unopened cd longboxes go for $300 on ebay? WTfnF?

So the zine guy was kinda right. I'd still rate Scream Bloody Gore over Altars of Madness but that's probably it. Immortal Rites, Chapel of Ghouls & Maze are 3 of my favorite Death Metal songs and between the riffs and guitar work I have a hard time coming up with a better choice. So thank you unnamed Zine guy. Hopefully I can find that copy and give you your proper credit on here someday...

#6 - Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Maze of Torment is a motherfucker. That intro riff is so awesome.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Headbanger

Black Friday, the perfect day to start the Top 5...

Carnivore was the soundtrack to some of the best years of my life. I used to listen to them religiously and being raised Catholic the lyrics really spoke to me.

Funny story that I've told on here before but it's hilarious so I'll tell it for the people who never heard.

Once Type O Negative started to blow up Peter Steele did one of the coolest things ever by hooking up his former bandmates and also hooking up the long time fans of Carnivore by doing a few Reunion shows. I drive an hour and a half to a place called Nick's in Virginia for this show and was jakked beyond belief to see them live. Forget who the opening act was (Helmet maybe) but I was jamming out to them when I look over and Peter Steele is standing there. I walked over and introduced myself and thanked him for giving us all a chance to hear the Carnivore songs live. He thanked me and I really wanted to ask if they were going to play God is Dead but thought that might sound dorky so I asked him how he liked doing that Jerry Springer show. He looked at me, gave me a thumb down and a raspberry and walked away. I was like WTF was I thinking? hahahaha

He had been on a Springer episode about Groupies and because he was in Playgirl and I guess that's the last thing he wanted to talk about. In hindsight the God is Dead question would have been fucking perfect. DOH!

Years later I got to meet him a 2nd time and referenced that I promise not to bring up Springer again and he either didn't hear me or just acted like he didn't. Either way he was cool as shit and my respect level for him as an artist and entertainer is and will walys be way up there.

I still listen to Carnivore and every time the songs are stuck in my head for hours or days. Great music is timeless, fun and memory provoking. Carnivore is one of the greatest bands when it comes to those things for me. Check the lyrics of #5. Classic!

I'm suffering from depression
the anger turned within
what do I gain for all my pain
perhaps a seat in heaven?

Don't do what you want
do what you're taught is right
your life is built on paranoia and guilt
don't forget your valium tonight

The agony I must endure
my mind is painful and swells
the punishment for what I've done
is forever the pains of hell
how come what is natural
has to be a sin?
why would God give me this urge
if I cannot give in?
they say don't give up
that Jesus loves me

I went down into my basement
confused and depressed
put Black Sabbath on
razor blade in hand
a Wilkinson I think
ten slashes on each arm
my only wrongdoing
was being born human
and following my instincts
I never was happy
I never was sane
so I shall be extinct
the growing pool of crimson
at last I am pure
witness my sanguineous penance
I don't need anyone
my soul's been set free
death is total independence...

Stand up straight
Stomach in
Shoulders back
Sound off

Angry Neurotic Catholics
It's a sin
Angry Neurotic Catholics
It's a sin

#5 - Carnivore - Angry Neurotic Catholics
Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 PM
...So let the children come to me, their mother loves me so shall they...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Keeping with the trend of great song on greatest albums ever made...

This was another band I found through a Zine. I always wondered how those Zines got distributed. How some dude in Boston could print all these things up and get responses from people in Florida. I'm assuming they would print a bunch up, mail them to local record stores and basically receive nothing in return. All hail those guys. I still have a bunch in a box somewhere. Would be cool to reminisce through them one day...

So some dude in a zine proclaimed Altars of Madness the Best Death Metal Album ever made back in 1990. Being mostly a fan of thrash/speed but a big fan of early Death I decided to check it out. There was a place in Randallstown, MD called Record Theater that defied all odds. It was the biggest Record Store in MD in a predominately black neighborhood and had the biggest Metal section of any record store I had ever been to in my life. I had a guy try to rob me there once with the old finger in the pocket trick and I laughed at him and kept walking. I had 4 cd longboxes in a bag and would have beaten his old ass to a bloody pulp with the help of Sacred Reich, Morbid Angel, Kreator & Flotsam & Jetsam had he not scurried off.

By the way am I the only one who is shocked that unopened cd longboxes go for $300 on ebay? WTfnF?

So the zine guy was kinda right. I'd still rate Scream Bloody Gore over Altars of Madness but that's probably it. Immortal Rites, Chapel of Ghouls & Maze are 3 of my favorite Death Metal songs and between the riffs and guitar work I have a hard time coming up with a better choice. So thank you unnamed Zine guy. Hopefully I can find that copy and give you your proper credit on here someday...

#6 - Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment

That's funny coz I've had that riff in my head for the past few days
A Broken Team
No Word Said
A Silent Vow
We Loved You Then
We Love You Now
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Headbanger

Speaking of riffs #4 is a riff that gets stuck in my head for days on end. It's also the highest rated "slow" song on the list.

After reading that Decibel Top 40 it's good to see sludge/doom staying strong. I thought it might fizzle after it's reemergence last year. Bands like YOB and Tombs deserve credit for making some great music. Do I think all those bands listed are better than Machine Head at 31? Fuck no! Not even close but I'd listen to bands like Vallenfyre and Mournful Congregation over the Hipster Pink Floyd music with death metal vocals stuff they normally try to say is so great anyday. To each his own though...

I've always considered this song Overkill's version of doom/sludge. Overkill mirrored Metallica slightly in their early days. Some people say they copied Metallica's style to a certain point but I don't think so. Yes both 1st albums were raw and fast. Kill Em All smokes Feel the Fire though. Taking Over was a big jump production-wise like RTL. Master and Under the Influence are worlds apart but the true similarity to me is Justice and Years of Decay. I know a lot of people love Horrorscope and proclaim it Overkill's finest work but to me it's between Taking Over and Years of Decay. For the record I would take Horrorscope over The Black Album any day though.

I love the raw speed and fun lyrics of Taking Over but if I had to pick Overkill's masterpiece it would probably be Years of Decay. It could use a little more thrash but as a whole it just really works for me. Catch me on another day and I'd say Taking Over but for now it's Years of Decay.

As far as 10 minutes plus songs that totally rock (the popular thread on here for years) this would be my #1. With the Playing With Spiders intro of course. I love this riff and as simplistic as it is it fits the lyrics and song perfectly. I liked the Sabbath-esque Under The Sun speed-up part and everything about this song. Overkill's masterpiece Skullkrusher comes in at #4.

#4 - Overkill - Skullkrusher
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Speaking of riffs #4 is a riff that gets stuck in my head for days on end. It's also the highest rated "slow" song on the list.

After reading that Decibel Top 40 it's good to see sludge/doom staying strong. I thought it might fizzle after it's reemergence last year. Bands like YOB and Tombs deserve credit for making some great music. Do I think all those bands listed are better than Machine Head at 31? Fuck no! Not even close but I'd listen to bands like Vallenfyre and Mournful Congregation over the Hipster Pink Floyd music with death metal vocals stuff they normally try to say is so great anyday. To each his own though...

I've always considered this song Overkill's version of doom/sludge. Overkill mirrored Metallica slightly in their early days. Some people say they copied Metallica's style to a certain point but I don't think so. Yes both 1st albums were raw and fast. Kill Em All smokes Feel the Fire though. Taking Over was a big jump production-wise like RTL. Master and Under the Influence are worlds apart but the true similarity to me is Justice and Years of Decay. I know a lot of people love Horrorscope and proclaim it Overkill's finest work but to me it's between Taking Over and Years of Decay. For the record I would take Horrorscope over The Black Album any day though.

I love the raw speed and fun lyrics of Taking Over but if I had to pick Overkill's masterpiece it would probably be Years of Decay. It could use a little more thrash but as a whole it just really works for me. Catch me on another day and I'd say Taking Over but for now it's Years of Decay.

As far as 10 minutes plus songs that totally rock (the popular thread on here for years) this would be my #1. With the Playing With Spiders intro of course. I love this riff and as simplistic as it is it fits the lyrics and song perfectly. I liked the Sabbath-esque Under The Sun speed-up part and everything about this song. Overkill's masterpiece Skullkrusher comes in at #4.

#4 - Overkill - Skullkrusher

Excellent pick. In terms of Overkill's doom songs, I like Drunken Wisdom just a little bit more, with that Beavis & Butthead style riff at the beginning.