Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Headbanger

#12 is the song I'd kill more than any to see live. Hell, Sodom has been at the very top of my list of bands I want to see live for many, many years. At least twice I thought I was going to be able to see them and they had visa issues. I still hold out hope... The odds of seeing them live AND them playing this song would probably be "lotto worthy" but I'm an eternal optomist.

This is the earlier European version of the song. It's different than the version I grew up worshipping and I think it's better actually. It's darker and more black metal than the Obsessed by Cruelty version.

I just love the tenacity and time changes in this song. While Persecution Mania has always been my favorite Sodom record, my favorite Sodom song has always been Deathlike Silence. I can only imagine how incredible it would be live...

#12 - Sodom - Deathlike Silence
Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Headbanger

A good friend of mine back in the day used to get permission from bands to film them as long as he gave the band a 1st gen copy of the show. I hooked up with this guy through ebay and was one of his best customers for years.

Funny thing is he knew I liked GG Allin so he would always fill the tapes up at the end with clips from the many GG Allin shows he taped. It would be like Dark Angel opening for Testament with GG Allin throwing shit as some girl then getting the living shit beat out of him with his mic stand for an encore. Every tape was one for the annals. Pun kinda intended. hahaha

Since moving I have thousands of tapes in boxes that someday I hope to transfer to dvd. Some are shitty quality but alot are like this clip.

Anyway Pisschrist was always my favorite Fear Factory song. I'll never forget getting an IM from Jeff late one night saying they played Pisschrist tonight and that he would have the tapes ready within a few days. I went to the PO the next day and sent him a money order and waited for the incredible show to arrive. When it did I was blown away. One of my favorite bootleg shows ever. Fear Factory KILLED IT that night and the video turned out great. Here's a clip of #11 from that show:

#11 - Fear Factory - Pisschrist
Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Headbanger

Before I get into the Top 10 I wanted to do the last "Bonus" list. These were the toughest cuts to make. Basically numbers 51-60. Most of these were on the list at one point but got squeezed to keep my 3 song band limit or just by tracks I felt to be more deserving.

Looking at this list, some of these songs were in my Top 10 at some point. That main riff in 4th of July is still one of my favorites ever. All these songs are worthy of being mentioned in a Favorite Headbanging Songs list so I wanted to share them also.

Top 10 starts tonight!

#51 - Slayer - Postmortem/Raining Blood
#52 - Clutch - High Caliber Consecrator
#53 - Metal Church - Ton of Bricks
#54 - Venom - Warhead
#55 - At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
#56 - Chimaira - Nothing Remains
#57 - Danzig - How The Gods Kill
#58 - Soundgarden - 4th of July
#59 - Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
#60 - Revocation - Unattained

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Headbanger

Top 10...

This is a song I fell in love with twice. The studio version on this song is one of the best Blackened Death Metal (or however it's categorized) songs ever penned. 90% of death metal starts off so good then the vocals ruin it for me. I wish that wasn't true but it is. I just can't get into the vomitorium or pig squeals that so many people seem to like. To each his own it's just pointless to me and has turned me off of many good bands I'm sure.

That's what makes this song and Behemoth so incredible. I was almost expecting the vocals to ruin it after that incredible start and when it explodes into BEHOLD BASTARD SON, I AM THE EVIL ONE! I lose my mind every time. There is no better 1st line to any song ever! That line alone heightens the intensity of the song to 11. The drumming and shredding guitar work keep it going for a blistering 3 minutes. When it ends and my face heals from being melted I usually play it a 2nd time because it's so f'n great.

As much as I like other Behemoth songs this is their masterpiece to me. It is tenacity personified and as pure and raw as it gets. As if it wasn't already entrenched in my mind as one of the best songs ever I had the treat of hearing it live and my appreciation of it increased ten fold. I included both versions to try to double your pleasure. Enjoy!

#10 - Behemoth - Christians To The Lions

Behemoth - Christians To The Lions LIVE

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I could understand either song at 51, but together as one song should be top 10.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I could understand either song at 51, but together as one song should be top 10.
Yeah there's a main reason but the other logic is that it's played out. There are at least 5 songs that would have made this list if I just wasn't tired of hearing them.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Headbanger

#9 is my favorite Headbanging video ever made. When I first saw it I couldn't believe my eyes. One of the heaviest bands on the planet playing air guitar and air drums. I thought it was a joke at first. Nope. Just one of the coolest songs being rocked out to by the guys who wrote it.

If this isn't the coolest, lowest budget video ever made I don't know what is...

#9 - Meshuggah - New Millenium Cyanide Christ
Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Yes. Should've moved it up!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Headbanger

Next up is the best black metal song ever penned off of the best black metal album ever made in my not-so-humble opinion. Many have tried to copy Quorthon and none have matched his tenacity and voraciousness. This song epitomizes everything I love about early Bathory. Singing along with the lyrics you get a total appreciation for his genius. I'm not sure Bathory ever even played any concerts but I often wondered if he could even pull this song off live.

#8 - Bathory - Chariots of Fire
Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Next up is the a)best black metal song ever penned off of the best b)black metal album ever made in my not-so-humble opinion.
#8 - Bathory - Chariots of Fire
a) Eh...

b) Stay tuned.