Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM
with his arms outstretched

Unearth -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 13th, 2011

Headliners: Unearth
Openers: Chimaira, Skeletonwitch, Motlov Solution
Venue: the Opera House

Not so much of a setlist from this show since I don't really know any of Chimaira or Unearths material (I only own Unearths latest album) but I at least wanted to post a review of the show. If anyone has a setlist feel free to add it.

I'm not even really that big a fan of either band but I have a rule that when shows are on weekends I'll go see bands that I'm remotely interested in because you never know. When I saw Machine Head in 2007 it was the first time I'd listened to them in almost ten years and it reinvigorated my enjoyment for that band. Motlov Solution I've never heard of, Skeletonwitch I was interested in, Chimaira I don't like and Unearth I really enjoyed their latest album and wanted to see Buz sherd the intro to Arise the War Cry. Also, when the tour was first announced a few months ago it had Chimaira as the headliner and Unearth as top support. I said to myself at the time "if Unearth was headlining I'd consider going". And when the Toronto show was announced Unearth was listed as the headliner, so there you go.

I got to the venue late and only caught Skeletonwitch's last song and completely had missed Motlov Solution, so forget about them. Chimaria came out and totally underwhelmed me. I saw them opening for Killswitch Engage a few years ago and they were about on par with that performance. I know they played the song Year of the Snake and closed with Resurrection. They played way too long for an opener, close to 75 minutes.

Unearth came out pretty quickly after that and sounded great. The crowd was rather small and the singer was getting a little pissed at the lack of pits and stage diving. I got to see Arise the War Cry and it was awesome. But they only played for less than an hour so I left feeling kinda ripped off. yeah it's my own fault for missing two of the opening bands but for a headliner to play for less than 90 minutes is pretty lame.

The songs I do know they played were:
My Will Be Done
Watch it Burn
Shadows in the Light
Arise the War Cry
Zombie Autopilot
they only played 7-8 other songs, all good but all sounded pretty much the same.

As I said the crowd was pretty small and not too into it, which is bad for the bands because Toronto is usually a hotbed for metal. I had figured that Unearth and Chimaira together would pull in a pretty good crowd but there were way more people for Enslaved the last time I was there and I thought Enslaved were a way smaller draw. If Unearth were to headline in Toronto again I'd say they should play the Mod Club, or even the Annex Wreckroom. But that would be a bad idea, I don't think Chimaira or Unearth are ready to headline yet. They're better off as main-support bands.

2 out of 5

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 11-13-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

This was a co-headlining tour for both Chimaira and Unearth, and they were switching off who played last each night, so Chimaira wasn't an "opening band". Surprised the only played that long, honestly.

And that's pretty foolish to say neither Chimaira not Uneath should be headlining shows. I've seen both of them headline in the past year, and both were absolutely incredible. And you're also doing an extreme disservice to yourself by not listening to Unearth's earlier material, primarily The Oncoming Storm.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
The Conjuration of Vengeance

I know Unearth also played The Great Dividers, This Lying World, and Giles.

Skeletonwitch playednot in order)
This Horrifying Force (The Desire to Kill)
Reduced to the Failure of Prayer
Choke Upon Betrayal
Crushed Beyond Dust
Repulsive Salvation
Upon Wings of Black
Beyond the Permafrost
Sacrifice for the Slaughtergod
Within My Blood

Great show. Blazed with Mark and Sean from Chimaira for over an hour in their bus afterwards, played MW3 and Skyrim lol. Good time
7/10-Mayhem Fest
8/23-Chimaira
8/24-Dying Fetus
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tteotd666 View Post
Great show. Blazed with Mark and Sean from Chimaira for over an hour in their bus afterwards, played MW3 and Skyrim lol. Good time
So jealous!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

This is Chimaria's tour, so that's why they are playing longer. Unearth doesn't really play long sets anyways. Anyways, I am really stoked for this show on Saturday.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/

Tags
chimaira, skeletonwitch, unearth