Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-13-2011, 05:08 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Paul's Boutique would be #1 for me. Hard to imagine 36 hip hop albums better then it.
I swear, you sound exactly like jhdeity
Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 AM
We're dying on the inside

Sound of Da Police is one of my five favorite hip hop songs ever.

officerofficeroverseeroverseer
Old 11-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
Easily one of the top 6 greatest
mcs of all time. For those wondering. 5 GREATEST MCS/RAPPERS of all time...

1.Kool G Rap
2.Rakim
3.Guru *rest in peace*
4.2pac *rest in peace*
5.KRS One.
6.Eyedea *rest in peace*

No Big Daddy Kane.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
No Big Daddy Kane.
Would you hate me if I said I really love Big Daddy Kane but I don't think that hes up there as one of the greatest? I KNOW I should get slapped in the face for that, considering that he is in almost every single persons top 5 greatest list. Don't get me wrong, his importants to hip hop will always remains legendary and remembered, but personally dude.. he never really "Wow"ed me like the way Rakim, Kool G Rap and the Late Guru did. Also, I donno if this helps or not...but Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap(whom I have as my number one as the greatest) both started off in the same rap group when they were both up and coming rising artists. Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane both started out in "The Juice Crew" which consisted of 4-5 hip hop artists all hailing from queensbridge New York including the great Marley Marl, But hell I'm sure you already knew that since you seem to be the only guy on this that board loves hip hop just as much as I do, Hell heres a music video Kool G Rap and Big Daddy made, a great powerful song about about racism.

Erase Racism. I love how big daddy kane, Kool G Rap and Biz markie are just sitting on the steps by some neighborhood just spitting about real shit...fuck I love old school hip hop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFvbSU1eCt0

So yeah, I love big daddy kane but I never got that "Wow" factor from him like the way I did when i first heard Guru, Krs, Kool G Rap, or rakim.

Sorry man, Don't hate me!!!
11/14 - Slayer
Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Would you hate me if I said I really love Big Daddy Kane but I don't think that hes up there as one of the greatest?
Well...I mean everybody's entitled to an opinion....

Quote:
I KNOW I should get slapped in the face for that, considering that he is in almost every single persons top 5 greatest list.
I mean it could be worse, you could have Jay-Z on your list (who is pretty much a 2nd generation BDK)

Quote:
So yeah, I love big daddy kane but I never got that "Wow" factor from him
FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU IN THE ASS!!

So when I roll on you rappers, you better be
Ready to die because you’re petty
You’re just a butter knife, I’m a machete

I grab the mic and make MC’s evaporate
The party people say, damn...that rapper’s great

I’ll just break him and bake him and rake him
and take him and mold him and make him
Hold up the peace sign...
Assalam Walaikum!

and that's all from the same fucking song!

This one to be exact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Bx7R0LKx0
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 AM

35.Typical Cats

Group: Typical Cats
Members: Qwel, Qwazzar and Denizen Kane
Producer: DJ Natural
recorded:????
Released:2001

Rain shine, was fate denied by state time
Ya caged ryhmes contain rage behind gang signs
Remember chickens spittin' game at you
I'm prayin' wit a flow, when you get home I'm fixin' gang tatoos
Forget stress, yes I'll accept the charges
Armed wit curse words and verses to get the guards pissed
I dropped out since we last spoke (what!?)
Commisary, so it sucks son, we all grown up
Fa sho, growin' up was tough more drugs then luck
Fuck a thuggie gettin' bucked you can roll wit us
No more holdin' in stolen trucks
Roll to dunkin' donoughts, where po po n' folks can both hold nuts
Flame up say ya name n' now the whole gangs smoked
N' swear to moms, I'll quit spittin' to get ya chains broken
Ya name is spoken openly
Remember holdin' dreams of bein' dope, yo son they quotin' me
Still the same witty poetry, grown n' smokin' weed
But How can we be broke when the city owes us sleep
Or at least a peace of mind, crime was stealin' youth from you
Or who could allude you would'a grew inside a human shoe
There's truth and this troop both sent me to get you
The issue's how windows ain't mirrors when we miss you
More Tatoos, then nights at home
Rockin' this one for you this is your microphone
- Qwel

See I belive in the beloved below the skin, so forgive me if I sin
Skimming the surface before I burrow in
I've been out of this to rub wit the red hands of my fear
So it's just you and belaa, risin' into the clear
Blue, who knew eyes could see so far from up here
Tote, skimmin' the green heads of tree tops under god knows where
Ya sweet do't leave now, or drop like an autmn
Stay wrapped in my hand like a thorn esacped blossoms
Of, red in my palms, now they match my father
Skippin' then stains outta rich mans pants and lipsticollas
Hollerin' to moms about the babble-o-bills and loans again
They gather on the kitchen table, cat shatters
They figured they whisper the other day, about the son who was away to date
The whole store was spreadin', you wishin' the laundry would just wash away
Moms fingers full of stiches, mouth full of pins
Mubbles yes, enter quick request to god with pursed lips
My sons, I lost'em under the rush of adolesence
To impatience pussy pens, funny cigarettes for a lessons
But if she saw me now, with the blade of a smile, nestled in my fluttery wrist
Never repeddle way' my metal
And knew that gods admissions are both open and free
And that he slowed the medics down, the rivers too fast for me
N' edits and re-writes we askith pleasith the human thesis
Any day I'll be embedded in a perfect sentnece please believith
- Denizen Kane

Yo, when I reminisce, I don't remember timbalands, nothing but pearl wings
Rockin'em wit wit the tongues hangin' outta the front wit no strings
Wit no whites on, yo we frontin' wit fake gold rings
No gold chains, just house keys on shoe strings
So how does anybody sleep on a featherless pillow?
With the worlds weight across the shoulder blade trying smother hope
It's foolish pride, these devils they'll surely try to split you
And force you to sign over ya soul scribbled' in physical
Well in a constant conflict, confidence against incompetence
Tryna grasp the context of lifes concepts
That little bitter peice that I need indeed I'll search for it
I try to ignore time, but I can't afford it
Smokin' weed, thinkin' I surely need employment to feed my spoiled kid
Never been characterized as the type to avoid his choices
Sow now I sacrafice life, the mic's in good faith
But not a penny saved, hopin' to blow like any day - Qwazzar

[/size]

One of the best and most unknown and most original Underground Hip Hop Albums to come in the last ten years..

Talk about diversity... We got your black guy, white dude, and asian guy and well...you get TYPICAL CATS. 3(Err 4 if you count dj natural who blesses the group with scratches and beautifully laced instrumental and all around great hip hop beats)Fellow Chicago born rappers with incredible and unique yet very diverse skills which gives each member a very distinctive sound that differs from the other giving the group this incredible unique sound that makes them stand out compared to other underground artists(and trust me man, I can name 800 carbon copy cats that did nothing but come out as "just another rap group"). You can easily tell which guy is which from the start of the album. Again, I really love how diverse this group is. We got Qwel(white guy), Qwazzar(The black dude), and Denizen Kane(the asian one), and each member with a flow and skills that differ greatly than the other. Personally my favorite member is Qwel(the white guy), especially when he broke off from the group to go do his solo joints(thats when he got really fucking deep abstract and poetic with hidden double meanings and crazy messages). Denizen Kane(the asian one) basis his rhymes heavily on Poetry and metaphors where as Qwazzar(the black one) speaks more about crazy demonic-Anti-Christ shit but a lot of the stuff that these guys speak about is really deep and have hidden meanings and messages(especially in the stressfull "Anyday"). The best track are the ones with the members individually rapping by them selves. Another thing that is really great is each member has a solo track on this album which gives that them that little spot to shine, with Qwel getting the most solo joints(he has 3 I believe). Folks, You gotta hear some of the shit that qwel is saying in "Qweloquiallisms", so fucking abstract, dark, and haunting. Qwazzar is just a fucking nut when hes go off about being the only guy who can vocally rape god on the insane "IT WONT STOP". Denizen Kane shows some epic poetry when he goes off on the beauty of sex and sexual organs in "Snake oil". The way he speaks about the beauty of intercourse with his wikid poetic skills is something to be heard And the very last track "the thin red line" sees all 3 members talking about how they're all trying to make it to the same RAP show but they can't because they're all stuck in some part of chicago by themselves(and they all rap about the things they see in chicago, the streets, city lights ect, and how they're trying to make it to the show. But its the way they present there rhymes and the way they talk about is what makes this track a fucking classic). And DJ Natural Blesses the group with his off the wall Chicago Native beats and elevation of scratches with classic piano loops and loop breaks. Anyways, an epic debut record and an amazing underground hip hop record to come out in the last decade by some of the best to ever hold it down in Chi-Town. Chicago now has a reason to bragg when it comes to Top MCs and rappers because the TYPICAL Cats should be crowned the underground kings for that!

Here are some songs off Typical Cats legendary debut record.

Qweloquiallisms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c7Ov3aB5Fs

Snake Oil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9PFytSFXw

Reinventing the Wheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYGWEa1fHU

Any Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXGzrUjZjgI

Cliche
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5w_FCIN-XY

The Thin Red Line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDlpCmNxLVk

w00t w00t. 34 Left. Hope everyone has enjoyed the last 16 albums so far.
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-13-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM

34. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us back...

Group: Public Enemy
Producer: TERMINATOR X and the BOMB SQUAD
Album Title: It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Recorded: 1987
Released: 1988

It should go without saying that this album and the next album to come out by public enemy are two of the most important and most influential records in the history of Hip Hop and its birth. If you call your self a true rap fan and you never heard of public enemy or their importance in the realm of hip hop...chances are you don't know a lot about Hip Hop.....This really needs no use for my messy rant, so i'll just take the easy way out for this one...

Public Enemy is an American hip hop group consisting of Chuck D, Flavor Flav, Professor Griff and his S1W group, DJ Lord (DJ who replaced Terminator X in 1999), and Music Director Khari Wynn. Formed in Long Island, New York in 1982, Public Enemy is known for their politically charged lyrics and criticism of the American media, with an active interest in the frustrations and concerns of the African American community. Public Enemy started out as opening acts for the Beastie Boys during the latter's Licensed to Ill popularity, and in 1987 released their debut album Yo! Bum Rush The Show

However, over the next few years Public Enemy released It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Fear of a Black Planet, and Apocalypse 91… The Enemy Strikes Black. In addition to ushering in the golden age of hip hop, during this time, Public Enemy reached the height of their popularity, adulation, and controversy. The group then separated from Def Jam and has since been independently producing, marketing, and publishing their music

a hell of a lot better than how I would of put it

So were do I start off in this oh so awesome rant? Well let me first be to say that

Public Enemy is the most metal hip hop group ever...I will say that one more time...

Public Enemy is the MOST Metal hip hop group to ever come out of fucking hip hop and you want to know why?

Because they are the only rap group in the history of hip hop to sample Slayers Angel of Death...

i will repeat my self one more time for those that were lost at what I said.

Public Enemy is the only group in the history of Hip hop and rap to sample heavy metal, more importantly...SLAYER....And of all songs?...ANGEL OF FUCKING DEATH... It also happens to be the worst track on the album

Meh Atleast they tried. But next time don't try and mix evil Holocaust-Slayer tunes with Militant black lyrics.

Anyways. Some will find this cliche but it's very true.....When this album first hit the shelves it was deemed by many people as one of the scariest most dangerous albums to ever hit the music industry. Seriously folks! When 1987-88 came strolling along, there was no group that created the sound that Public Enemy had. They created and developed they're own music that would be a blue print for hip hop and THIS ALBUM is a pure example... This album as well as "Fear of a Black" planet are hailed by many critics in the music biz as two of the most important albums ever made(forget the genre for a second folks). I can't imagine how much of an impact this album made during the 80s....Again folks....This was seen by almost everyone in the music biz as the scariest most dangerous records to come in the 80s....Public Enemy were something back then....

Chuck Ds Angry militant lyrics mixed with Flavor flaves retarded hype man rants mixed with Terminator X's Incredible instrumentals makes me wanna go outside and pump my fist in the air and call out "The man". Thats how hard this album goes. And it goes without saying that if you're trying to get into the history of hip hop then is a great place to start(or some run dmc and Sugar Hill Gang works well too). Anways, i gott nothing left to say about how legendary this LP is...Cop it outta stash box folks

Bring the Noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvy7MWjfVPE

Don't Believe the Hype
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8sxngSWaU

TERMINATOR X TO THE EDGE OF PANIC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKlNb_GN55c

Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PmsBpBKGIY

"NOW THEY GOT ME IN A CELL?" - Chuck D
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-13-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Rats off to ya

I love Nation of Millions and it would probably be #2 on my list but dude... other hip hop artist have sampled metal artist. There was that one shitty rap duo that someone on here brought up before that also sampled Angel of Death in 2004 or some shit, there was that one bad rapper who sampled Opeth not to long ago, Lil B sampled Metallica, Beastie Boys sampled Sabbath, and probably hundreds of other rappers i've never heard of did it too. I'll also think the Beastie Boys are just as, if not more metal then Public Enemy. The Beastie Boys had Kerry King play on several tracks on License to Ill, and several metal artist have covered Beastie Boys songs (Anthrax - Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun, Cancer Bats - Sabotage). I know Sepultura covered Public Enemy but then I again I said they could be just as metal as each other.

Last edited by BloodoftheKings; 11-13-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I love that album, it's just awesome all around.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
I love Nation of Millions and it would probably be #2 on my list but dude... other hip hop artist have sampled metal artist. There was that one shitty rap duo that someone on here brought up before that also sampled Angel of Death in 2004 or some shit, there was that one bad rapper who sampled Opeth not to long ago, Lil B sampled Metallica, Beastie Boys sampled Sabbath, and probably hundreds of other rappers i've never heard of did it too. I'll also think the Beastie Boys are just as, if not more metal then Public Enemy. The Beastie Boys had Kerry King play on several tracks on License to Ill, and several metal artist have covered Beastie Boys songs (Anthrax - Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun, Cancer Bats - Sabotage). I know Sepultura covered Public Enemy but then I again I said they could be just as metal as each other.
Good god oh mighty....

you just reminded me of something...

Lil' John sampled Slayers "Raining Blood"

It's so bad that I'm not going to post a link that song because it should not be heard by anyone on this earth.
11/14 - Slayer