Slayer -- Albany, NY -- November 25th, 2014
Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
not the mama

yeah I've been getting into Kool Keith's stuff recently, weird but awesome.

The Geto Boys are also great.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

44. Group Home: Living Proof...

Group: GROUP HOME
Producer: Dj Premier
Title: Living Proof
Released: 1995

What happens when you get two stick up getto fools with no skills at all, hailing from East N.Y and put them with ARGUABLY...THE GREATEST HIP HOP PRODUCER of all time...HELL, INSTRUMENTALIST of ALL TIME because that's what this genius is!!!!. You get this flawed Masterpiece..... Ahem let me restart, if I'm confusing some.

Folks. Those of you that don't know me well should know by now that I

LOVE

GANG STARR. They are one of the greatest hip hop duos and acts of all time. They paid a shitload dues to the hip hop world starting in 1987 all the way to their horrific break up in 2004. I will get into the gang starr legacy later but i should just let you all know for those that are not familiar with the group...Gang starr has ALWAYS

WILL ALWAYS...

BE TWO PEOPLE. Guru(REST IN PEACE BROTHER, SEE ON THE OTHER SIDE) And his 2nd hand man-side kick Master mind behind all the beats, horns, scratches, EVERYTHING...DJ PREMIER. Those curious on who the fuck they are should just google them. THEY ARE LEGENDARY and i will get into them later....

Anyways....

Group Home:Living Proof is a great album. Atleast when it comes to the production. The album is fucking incredible MUSICIALLY. Some of the greatest hip hop beats and simply...some of the greatest music in the history of the culture can been seen and heard on this album. DJ Premier is a fucking God. How does he do it? I don't know. But he was blessed with a touch. The golden touch as guru puts it. Anyways the production and music on this album is absolutely flawless but I cant say the same about the two rappers. I really try hard liking these fools but they are so one track minded and have little to fucking no substance in their lyrics. It's just the same shit, but i will admit they do shine in some songs, but the majority of the album is just plain WEAK SAUCE. But the only thing stopping me from turning this off is the flawless beats and epic music played through out the entire album. It's a damn shame Premier didn't use these beats for some one with more superior skills on the mic like Jeru the damaja or something. Anyways. Folks, if you guys like some GOOD ASS EPIC HIP HOP MUSIC. CHECK THIS OUT. But don't expect to find any meaning, substance or poetry in their rhymes. Don't get me wrong, some songs they really do shine but the over all album is just BAAAD....But god those premier beats are just soooooOOOOOO GODLY!!!!

Some say this is Premiers Magnum Opus. He really took his Production skillz to another level with this one.....but their is another album he did that tops this and is also backed up with incredible lyrics and poetry. but i will get into that more later as we proceed

Baby Pa EVERYONE MUST LISTEN TO THIS SONG FROM START TO FINISH. Classic. A game of dice gone wrong compiled with epic DJ premier samplings and just all around amazing music and some meaningful rhymes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpaTa4LNz4

Up Against the Wall.....This beat is incredible and some pretty epic meaningful rhymes..................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9bYZljUoZE

2 Thousand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvykGepOT0Y

Inner City Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhxB...eature=related
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-09-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM

43. De La Soul is DEAD

Group: De La Soul
Producer: Prince Paul
Album Title: De La Soul is Dead
Recorded:1990-1991
Released:1991

"Macy's department store, the scene for Santa's kisses
An' all the little brats demandin' all of their wishes
Time passes by as I wait for my younger brother
He, asks his wish, I waste no time to return him back to Mother
As I'm jettin', Millie floats in like a zombie
I ask her what's her problem, all she says is, "Where is he?"
I give a point, she pulls a pistol, people screamin'
She shouts to Dill, he's off to Hell 'coz he's a Demon
None of the kids could understand what was the cause
All they could see was a girl holdin' a pistol on Claus
Dillon pleaded mercy, said he didn't mean to
Do all the things that her mind could do nothin' but cling to
Millie bucked him an' with the quickness it was over"
- De La Soul

This album is just a pure classic. From start to finish. Easily De La Souls masterpiece. everything before this album and after is really good but this is when the group truly started to shine. The album is laced with classic hip hop tunes like "My brothers a base head" in which we see the members talking about their crack head family members and the addiction that they have succumbed too. Or the infamous "Millie Pulled a pistol on Santa" which will go down as one of the greatest songs in the history of hip hop. The song tells a story of a little girl named millie. She gets raped and fucked every night and abused by her father. Her father also happens to be the Santa Clause at the mall and works for her school. long story short, millie tells her friends and people but no one believes her so she goes fucking crazy one day and decides to go to the mall and kills her father in front of a bunch of kids waiting in line to get on santas lap... and boom the story is over....BUT IT'S PLAYED OUT SO WELL AND IS IN UNDENIABLELY...A FUCKING CLASSIC HIP HOP SONG...on a classic hip hop record.

This is also a concept album too if you guys like that kind of shit, the only thing this album does bad at is skits and fillers. Jesus Chris there is probably 20 skits and fillers on this goddamn album. But it's made up by the amazing songs that are laced through out the album. SO GET THIS ALBUM FOLKS. YOU won't regret it! easily one of the best hip hop gems of 1991.

Ok folks, sorry but I just feel like doing that thing where I have to drop a little rant on something so here it goes....

I have a huge LOVE/HATE relationship with De La Soul. As musicians I love them to death. But as human beings I think they are all pieces of shit that need to die in there pile of shit. Basically I'll try and make it short...

In 2009 I decided to go to the Paid Dues Hip Hop festival which was in Berkley CA. 8 Hours away from me. It also happens to be on my birthday so I said FUCK IT WHY NOT? So we go on my birthday to PAID DUES in San Fransisco. We got are tickets months before this so we had this planned out really well. After about 8 hours of driving, total-ING my car and crashing the the front making it totally useless now.....we finally get to S.C., go to our friends uncles pad where we would be staying the night, unpack our stuck and head to the venue where the show is to be taken place. Oh and this was the line up

DE LA SOUL
Sage Francis
Hieroglyphics
MURS
Blackalicious

and MANY MORE.....

We get there....we happen to be the first people in line. AND WE ARE SO FUCKING PUMPED. I mean we are about to see fucking DE LA SOUL!!! DEL THE FUNKEE HOMO SAPIEN. Fuckin sage francis. we are all jumpin' up and down in such joy........

Only to have some guy open the door and tell us the show got canclled on the very last minute

I couldn't believe it......it was like as if someone just took a giant shit in my face, then proceeded to take piss all over it. and once the piss drenched off they proceeded to puke in my soul....

I was so bummed out, I didn't even know what to think...so much was going on and racing in my head, my friends were all trying there best to make me feel better. Ever since that faith full day of june 14th 2009, i lost alot of respect for some of my favorite hip hop artist. IN FACT, I was so upset during that time that I threw out all my de la soul cds, SAGE francis cds EVERYTHING. I didn't wanna have anything to do with them. And to know that I have another 8 hours of shitty driving ahead of me after all ready dring 8 straight hours and crashing the front end of my car rendering it USELESS?....ALL FOR NOTHING

FUCK YOU FAGGOTS.

The music you guys put out will stay true to my heart but as human beings I hope you all go to the shitter.....Fuck this shit I'm out. Gotta go get ready for work. I'll be back to do this later...

Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa
........EVERYONE MUST LISTEN TO THIS SONG. This is a fucking classic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faiER856zQU

Fanatic of the B word
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKpqy...eature=related

Pease Porrdige
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDUo...eature=related

Glad to see some people are actually scoping this thread out
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-10-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepultura69 View Post
45. The Geto Boys: The Geto Boys

This album is a stone cold classic.
TROOF
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Regretting my username

Holding out for some Immortal Technique, Ill Bill, and Nas.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM

42. Word...Life

Artist: OC
Producer: Buckwild, Lord Finesse of the Diggin in tha Crates Crew
Album Title: WORD LIFE..
Year released: 1994

You lack the minerals and vitamins irons and the niacin
Fuck who that I offend rappers sit back I'm bout to begin
bout foul talk you sqwak never even walked the walk
More less destined to get tested never been arrested
My album will manifest many things that I saw did or heard about
or told first hand never word of mouth
What's in the future for the fusion in the changer?
Rappers are in danger who will use wits to be a remainder
When the missile is aimed, to blow you out of the frame
Some will keep their limbs and, some will be maimed- OC

"Word...Life is the 1994 debut album from underground Hip Hop artist O.C., who came to prominence in hip hop because of the album. It also helped establish his membership in the legendary Hip Hop crew D.I.T.C., which includes Lord Finesse, Showbiz & A.G., Diamond D, Fat Joe, Big L and Buckwild, who produced the majority of this album."

Some people compare this album to illmatic which I don't get at all. Sound nothing alike, different rappers DIFFERENT STYLES of mcing!...and don't get me started on the production!!!....anywaysss. Great album. A must have for those looking to get into the golden age of hip hop(the golden age of hip hop started from 88-95. I say it went up untill 1998 when the LAST truly great epic hip hop album came out...the very last true amazing gem to come out before the genre fucking died and got wacked by todays commerical ass hats.....but we are too soon in this shitter so I will get into that album later..

Word Life is an epic album from start to finish. It has everything. Your track with the typical "Fuck the police" attitude from start to finish on "Constables". You have your epic battle rap track where you let your light shine and show these people what you are all about on the epic "Times up". You got the "Chick left me but she was nothing but a skeezer hoe" song and even some really deep ones like "story" which tells the story of a junkie and how his addiction is putting his families life in danger and the results are very sad and depressing. The things that Rapper OC has to share are very deep and meaningfull, especially on the title track of the album. The beats laced by Buckwild and Lordfinise are works of art. A definite classic in my opinion and one of the greatest in 94'. Get it folks if you trying to find the meaning of "WORD..LIFE" its here baby pa....

Also those wondering...DITC aka DIGGIN IN THE CRATES CREW are a hip hop group from the early 90s formed by abunch rappers hailing from new york, mostly the bronx. They never came out with a debut group album untill the late 90s which kina sucks. Why would you come out with your debut album almost 9 years after your formation? Oh well, but before that happend, they all released individual solo records from 92'-95' and they are all classics, even fat joes! Who would a thunk that cat was old school? You could say they are like the opposite of wu tang when it came to releasing records. Wu tang released they're debut group album first...then they went on to release individual solo albums(gzas liquid swords, raes cuban linx, ghost faces iron man, you get the picture?). DITC released a shit tun of solo before they decided to do a group album which i think is a bit too late and stupid(especially when one of your members is deceased around the time of the making of the group album ). Anyways heres a better understand of the group for those interested in checking them out.

Diggin in the Crates Crew
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diggin%...he_Crates_Crew

Anyways cool rant bro, here are some songs of Word Life for ya'll to scope out! checka-check iiiiiiit out!

Times Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzyaaMUCpWs

O-Zone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_YhfBwHSM

Word Life...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOmt9MkK9o8

Story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlELwmikdrQ
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-09-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 PM

41. RAISING HELL

Group: RUN DMC
Producer: JAM MASTER & RUN dmc
Recorded:1985-1986
Released: 1986

"Raising Hell is the third album by hip-hop group Run–D.M.C.. The breakthrough album trumped standing perceptions of commercial viability for hip-hop groups, achieving triple-platinum status and receiving critical attention from quarters that had previously ignored hip hop as a fad"

Essential shit to your hip hop collection right here mother fuckers. I'm a pretty right now to leave a messy rant for this one but just know that this and a couple of other albums on here are essenitial; with the help of Public Enemy, eric b and rakim, Afriikka bamabta,, Sugar hill gang and these cats(rundmc). These guys helped built the genre that we call hip hop for others people in the 90s like Organized Konfusion or a Tribe called quest to take and mold in their own format and take to a whole other direction..Like bringing new sounds to the table such as Jazz-infused hip hop, soul, Hard core, horror core, hell even some r&b, fuck the list goes on. And this album is not a great example...But a pure example of what i'm talking about. One of the best albums of the 80s and a good example of what helped move the rap/hip hop movement during its early birth from the early to mid 80s

RAISING HELL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGJNmxAi6s

Peter Piper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5-74dWGS0
11/14 - Slayer

Last edited by Sepultura69; 11-10-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:36 AM
D.B.B.

This thread has got my attention. Will lurk for sure!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

What Raising Hell lacks in complex rhyme ability in makes up for in power.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
What Raising Hell lacks in complex rhyme ability in makes up for in power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredFlame View Post
yeah I've been getting into Kool Keith's stuff recently, weird but awesome.

The Geto Boys are also great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
This thread has got my attention. Will lurk for sure!

I will post some more Gems when I get back from work later tonight. In the mean time....Vibe to some of this shit

Ultramagnetic MCs - The Saga of Dandy, the Devil, and Day
Year:1993
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGTC2vPAw60

Also one last thing. All the songs that I been posting under each album should be played on VERY HIGH VOLUME. If its anything below medium then don't bother listening to it at all. This shit is no different than metal, by that I mean as in IT MUST BLASTED AT IT'S HIGHEST VOLUME....why do you think KRS calls himself the blast master? BECAUSE YOU GOTTA VOLUME THAT SHIT TO HIGHEST MOTHER FUCKER. BLAST THAT SHIT. Alright i gotta go get ready for, peace, love and metal folks.
11/14 - Slayer