Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Anthrax -- Austin, TX -- October 29th, 2011

This is going to be the first time I'll try and review one of the shows I attended, as opposed to listing the songs played (which are copied directly from the setlist, so if I make any mistakes...don't blame me), taking a couple of painkillers, and passing the fuck out.

I arrived at the new Emo's around two hours before the doors opened. A friend of mine who was supposed to attend backed out at the last minute, so I was left to sell his old ticket. I spent the entire two hours asking around, and finally, I had the idea to get a sign and advertise the sale. Within five minutes, I've sold the ticket and the doors are open. Luckily for me, I'm right by the merch booth. I look over the stuff for sale and finally decide on a tour shirt from Anthrax ($25), a wristband from Testament ($7), and a patch from Death Angel ($5).

I'd seen Death Angel previously this year opening for D.R.I. at the old Emo's on Sixth and Red River, and I liked their sound, but I never really checked them out after that.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what they played. I know they played "I Chose the Sky" first and "Thrown to the Wolves" last, but that's really all I can say. Someone else might have the setlist, but it's not me. Sorry.

Next up was Testament. I didn't catch much of their stage stuff since I spent most of the time in their set moshing, but I did notice a couple of things - one, they used way too much fog onstage, and two, they sang "Happy Birthday to You" to the guitarist of Death Angel (who's name slips my mind at the time).

...And since I can't think of anything to say, here's their setlist.

Testament

Intro
The Preacher
The New Order
Persecuted
Envy Life
Over the Wall
Souls of Black
Into the Pit
Electric Crown
Henchmen Ride
More Than Meets the Eye
DNR
Three Days in Darkness
Disciples

And finally, the stage was being cleared for Anthrax. People put their cigarettes out and came inside, the bars were starting to fill, and the fans began to get crazy. About twenty minutes later, the lights went out and the band stepped onstage. I stare at them in awe when I'm suddenly brought back by a blow to the back of my head. Turns out when I was staring at the stage, people had cleared a space and started slamming into each other.

Somehow I fought my way up front after being punched in the face during "Caught in a Mosh", where I caught the rest of the show. Sometime during the latter part of Anthrax's set (most likely in the encore) they played the intro to "Refuse/Resist" and let the audience sing the first verse.

Anthrax
Intro
Earth on Hell
Fight 'Em Until You Can't
Caught in a Mosh
Madhouse
Antisocial
I'm Alive
The Devil You Know
Indians
In the End
Got the Time
Be All, End All

Encore:

N.F.L.
Metal Thrashing Mad
I Am The Law

I'd definitely recommend seeing this tour if it comes to your town...and I know this review is short, I'm kind of tired and in pain, but I wanted to put the setlists online before I went to sleep.

Please tell me how I did with my first real review, since I know this probably sucks.
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 10-30-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Great job at your first review!! The only thing I can say is don't include the venue in your tags, only the band names. Other than that, you definitely did a great job Sucks you got hit in the back of the head, but at least you have pain killers for that
Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 AM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Be All, End All?! Really?! Pretty dern cool.

12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Thrash Maniac!!!!

Seems as though "N.F.L" is in the set for good. Glad they did something different. Also, seems like they are switching their set each night. "A.I.R", "Medusa", "Be All, End All" are the rotating songs. I hope I can get at least Medusa on my tour date.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Thrash Maniac!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
I look over the stuff for sale and finally decide on a tour shirt from Anthrax ($25), a wristband from Testament ($7), and a patch from Death Angel ($5).
What does the tour shirt look like and does it have the dates on the back? Oh by the way, great review!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the deathmetaler View Post
Seems as though "N.F.L" is in the set for good. Glad they did something different. Also, seems like they are switching their set each night. "A.I.R", "Medusa", "Be All, End All" are the rotating songs. I hope I can get at least Medusa on my tour date.
Yeah, they've dropped 'Only' now. One night they did AIR and Medusa to close out the main set and then at this show they did Be All, End All. So as the tour progressses they seem to be switching a few things up.

I read on the Anthrax message board that Only wasn't getting a reaction at the shows so far. Which makes sense since the Belladonna fans are coming out and want to hear that stuff. It's a good song and if Bush were the singer then there's no doubt they should keep it. But Joey doesn't sound that great on it and if the people aren't showing it any love, than they've done the right thing in replacing it with another Belladonna calssic.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Thrash Maniac!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I read on the Anthrax message board that Only wasn't getting a reaction at the shows so far. Which makes sense since the Belladonna fans are coming out and want to hear that stuff. It's a good song and if Bush were the singer then there's no doubt they should keep it. But Joey doesn't sound that great on it and if the people aren't showing it any love, than they've done the right thing in replacing it with another Belladonna classic.
Honestly, I've never been a fan of that song. In my opinion they could also replace "Antisocial" and maybe one of the new songs. So we could get "A.I.R", "Medusa", and "Be All, End All" in the same set.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the deathmetaler View Post
What does the tour shirt look like and does it have the dates on the back? Oh by the way, great review!
There's several shirts for sale, all for $25 (I Am The Law, a set of praying hands, and the tour shirt, if I recall correctly). They also had a hat for sale, but for another $25, they can go fuck themselves. It has the Worship Music cover art on the front and the cities (no dates) with "2011 - 2012 World Tour" on the back. And thanks!
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 10-30-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Adding information.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM
N00B

I saw them do "Only" at the Big 4 and at their secret show in NYC and while I did actually enjoy it with Belladonna I am much happier to see that they are rotating these other three songs. "Medusa" is my favorite but I saw them do that opening for Judas Priest years ago so I am hoping that I get to see "AIR" in Jersey.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Thrash Maniac!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
There's several shirts for sale, all for $25 (I Am The Law, a set of praying hands, and the tour shirt, if I recall correctly). They also had a hat for sale, but for another $25, they can go fuck themselves. It has the Worship Music cover art on the front and the cities (no dates) with "2011 - 2012 World Tour" on the back. And thanks!
Thanks alot man! Do you remember what kind of a hat it was?

Tags
anthrax, death angel, testament