?(New Song)
The Take Over
Maniac (R.O.D.)
Just Drive
It Must Really Suck to Be Four Year Strong Right Now
Heroes Get Remembered, Legends Never Die

Encore:
Wasting Time

(with help from Setlist.fm for Four Year)

REVIEW:

I primarily went for Title Fight, and left halfway through Four Year. Great show! Four Year only played for 45 minutes; 30 minutes for all the other bands.

Showed up at the Metro early so I could catch the openers. Sharks was a solid straight up punk band from Britain. Real throwback stuff, like Sex Pistols or something. Very solid opener. The Metro was actually rather empty at this point, different from every other time I've been there. The next opener, The Swellers, were solid pop-punk, and pretty good live. They managed to get a couple crazy moshes going on, which was fun to see. I was saving my energy for Title Fight, the real reason I went to this show...

So they took the stage, and immediately I began the mosh pit. It kept up pretty much the whole time they were playing their fast songs. A bunch of people tried crowdsurfing also, but the security guards kept pushing everybody back, so everyone kept falling down. Kind of funny, but a dick move. As soon as they broke into Youreyeah... everybody went crazy. I was moshing around like a madman and helping vault crowdsurfers over everyone. Then that breakdown happened at the end of the song, and all the hardcore guys (I'm talking the older crew, guys in Chain of Strength and Terror shirts rather than the pop-punk high school crowd) started doing what hardcore guys do best. It was pretty fucking great.

Then I look down at my right hand after the song finishes. And somehow the back of it looks like someone inserted a golf ball under my skin. Holy SHIT, that's the most swollen I've ever been! And it happened within seconds! I immediately went downstairs to the medical guy that they have at the metro, and he wrapped it up and gave me some ice and whatnot. The thing is, it didn't hurt at all. Only if you touch it, like a bruise. Anyway, I got back up to catch the last third of their set, watching from the back. They were great. Too bad the moshing was so quickly done for me, because what came next was goddamn incredible.

Gallows. People, if you don't know them, start taking notes.

It was one of the craziest, most pissed off punk performances, hell, ANY performance I've ever seen. I don't know how to really classify Gallows: they definitely weren't clean pop-punk, yet they weren't really hardcore punk in the breakdown-y sense. They were dirty and greasy and screamed like madmen. Just... great pure fucking punk rock. I was standing with my jaw down from the back the whole set, just observing. What I would have given to have gone into that pit. They were running around the stage, going crazy, and the singer kept jumping down to shove the mic into the crowd. From "London is the Reason" until "The Great Forgiver", the singer (apparently this new American guy, kind of large like a football lineman instead of a dinky british dude) stagedived out into the crowd, and literally moshed the entire time while singing. It was crazy. He was getting everybody circle pitting by doing it himself. He had everyone do a pile-on in the middle of the floor. And the lead guitarist, this skinny little British dude, kept jumping out into the crowd also. He finally decided run down, go over to the bar, and start playing from there. The security guys from the Metro were running around trying to catch him, but he kept running around the entire venue, even going upstairs to the balcony while maintaining the song. Not since Dillinger Escape Plan have I seen such a beautiful display of passion from a band's performance. Not to mention that their music was FUCKING AWESOME. I need to listen to way more of 'em now.

To me, Four Year couldn't possibly pass up that performance. Still, they were really solid and the crowd seemed to love them. Not so much crazy "let's beat the snot out of each other" moshing like the last two bands, but more "everybody try and get close to the rail and jump up and down". It was good, but I would have enjoyed it twice as much if I could have been in there jumping up and down and pushing people. Like I said, I left halfway so I could get some proper medicine for my hand, but I'd love to see them again! This is mostly a Gallows review, sorry. I ended up getting a pretty cool Title Fight shirt for a measly $12. $12 for a shirt! A steal. I actually tipped the guy, and got a Title Fight poster for my generosity. Since the tour was sponsored by AP Magazine, they were giving out free posters, magazines, and 12-month subscriptions! Pretty cool. I also found the girl who got the Title Fight setlist and took a picture of it, so that set is 100% correct. Overall, even though I beat myself to shit somehow (I really don't know how; I've definitely gone harder/got hit harder at concerts), it was fucking great. Go to this if you have the chance.

Sharks: 6/10
The Swellers: 6.5/10
Title Fight: 8.5/10
Gallows: 9.5/10
Four Year Strong: 8/10

Thanks for reading the review! For anyone interested, my hand's swelling has gone down considerably now that I've taken some Tylenol and iced it for a while. Should be fine in a couple days. inb4 THAT'S WHAT U GET FOR SLAMMING

Last edited by jd091; 10-26-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Altars of Radness

JD the pit monster
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
JD the pit monster
Shut it, I suck at pits. Though I will admit, I was bigger than 75% of the people there.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

YOU MONSTAH
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM

Sounds fun. This is coming here when I'm gonna be gone for the weekend so I'm gonna miss this. I would've liked to see FYS again. Btw The Take Over isn't a new song.
2.17 Machine Head
2.18 Symphony X
Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 PM
That Guy

Starting pits at a hardcore show is just asking for trouble. You can drive a car with your feet if you want to, it doesn't make it a fucking good idea.

Glad you had a good time. I do have to miss this show, which I brought up in the upcoming concert thread. but it sounds like a good time. I'm saving my money for Cynic/3 on the 13th.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Ah, also forgot to mention that Title Fight had some pretty cool snap-back hats available... for $30. What the hell! I could buy almost 3 shirts for the price of one hat? Bullshit.

Also noticed an abundance of high school girls buying various Vinyl they had for sale. High school girls? Vinyl? Reeeally? I bet they sell twice as much Vinyl than they do CD.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

JD, you just got me into Gallows hahaha, I might go check out the show near my house on November 8th
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 AM
not the mama

damn Gallows wasn't nearly as crazy at my date. The frontman even got pissed at some douche who was trying to start fights, and he kept complimenting himself for not fucking up a song since it was only has 5th show apparently. He never went into the crowd and started moshing. Still it was a good performance, I definitely see where you're coming from by labeling them dirty.

+ Four Year Strong actually didn't consist of the "lets get closer to the band" kids. Surprisingly the whole place was nonstop moshing and crowdsurfing. There are chairs at the side of the venue and needless to say many of them made it into the crowd and people were jumping off them.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
not a N00B

that title fight set is making me think I might have to go now

Tags
four year strong, gallows, title fight