King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014
Stray From The Path -- Detroit, MI -- October 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 AM
N00B

Anvil -- Springfield, VA -- October 19th, 2011

Went with my buddy to see ANVIL on a rainy Wednesday night at JAXX. Tickets were under $20, and I wasn't up to anything else, so why not check out Anvil? I was familiar with the first 2 and the um most recent 2 Anvil records and the book/documentary about them.

The show was like being part of the Anvil documentary actually- about 40 people showed up. Seriously.

Merch stand had several Anvil shirts, some sort of fan club thing, and then CDs (with some rare ones I'd not even seen before- I perhaps should have snagged some...). And an Anvil...fanny pack... yes.

We got there to a pretty empty house, some local 3 piece band with a horrible name (Not-Liable)was on. I thought they were better than I expected them to be. The faster tempo songs were interesting, even if horribly sung. They reminded me a bit of Suicidal Tendencies (which is not a good thing since I personally am not an ST fan). The singer/guitarist was notable because he was black- something that is rarely seen in this scene, for whatever reason. He did a decent job guitar, but his vocals sucked, IMO. The bass and drum were solid, nothing to complain about there. The drummer had a short drum solo...

Baby Jane, whom I am sure I've seen open up for a hair band before, played a very hair-sounding set. Which I enjoy. I like that sound and enjoyed their set- the singer sounded somewhat like a cross between the guy from Dangerous Toys and the guy form Cinderella. Extra points for the LA Guns and Priest covers... They had the same band as Not-Liable, but they had another guitarist (lead) and singer. The singer/guitarist fromNot-Liable played only a few songs. And some chap from the crowd helped sing some songs? wtf? Another drum solo too...

ANVIL came on shortly after, around 10:30PM eastern time, the crowd was pretty excited, despite being small. Lips and Co. came on and they were damn loud and Lips and the bass player were VERY enthusiastic and full of energy. Lips had a smile plastered on his face for almost the whole set- you could tell he LOVED doing this. I think they could have used another guitar to fill out the sound more, but they still sounded good. The infamous dildo came out during Mothra, and I was crackin up the whole time. Lips seemed pretty genuine about loving what he did, even if it was for a small audience, he mentioned. The newer songs, IMO sounded better (probably because they were written with the one guitar part in mind?). Overall I'm glad I came out and see these guys play their hearts out- very good performance. Decent songs.

After the set, Lips came down to chat, sign, take photos. Rob was in the back too, and the bass player, but I just got a picture that I should have used flash on with Lips. He was very accommodating- a shame that the experience was very similar to the documentary.

Not-Liable
  • Keep Running
  • ?
  • Drum solo
  • Going down
  • Backed up
  • Stalking
  • All Alone
  • ?

Baby Jane
  • ?
  • Midnight Movie
  • Hell's Bells intro
  • Never Enough (LA Guns cover)
  • Waiting for you
  • Drum solo (zzz)
  • Highway to Hell (AD/DC Cover)
  • Road Rocket
  • Livin' after Midnight (Priest cover)
  • Paradise City (Guns N Roses Cover)

Anvil
  • March of the Crabs
  • School Love
  • Juggernaut of Justice
  • Winged Assassins
  • On Fire
  • This Is Thirteen
  • Mothra (w/ guitar solo played w/ dildo)
  • Thumb Hang
  • White Rhino (W/ drum solo [zzz])
  • Fuken Eh!
  • New Orleans Voodoo
  • Metal on Metal
  • --------
  • Running
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM
N00B

I live 5 mins. from Jaxx and have seen many many shows there. Most of my opinions are negative about this place, but I love the fact that this is, for the most part, a metal club, which I highly support.

Here's my opinion about the show last night.

The latest Anvil American tour was announced on Sept. 2nd, but Jaxx did not post the show until 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago for a tour that was announced 6 weeks ago? No wonder there were only 40 or so of us there. Zero promotion from the club. How is a struggling club supposed to survive if no one knows a band is playing. How is a band to survive with no promotion?

Poor Anvil
Jaxx SUCKS

Lips and Company were nothing but class

Wish they would have played Forged In Fire.

They cut the set short by 2 songs from there summer tour
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

This sounds amazing. A good set and a relatively intimate setting. Every time I've seen Anvil they've played 6-8 songs and there have been thousands of people.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimigroov View Post
The latest Anvil American tour was announced on Sept. 2nd, but Jaxx did not post the show until 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago for a tour that was announced 6 weeks ago? No wonder there were only 40 or so of us there. Zero promotion from the club. How is a struggling club supposed to survive if no one knows a band is playing. How is a band to survive with no promotion?

Poor Anvil
Jaxx SUCKS

Lips and Company were nothing but class

They cut the set short by 2 songs from there summer tour
I did not know that.that def explains a lot if the poor turnout. I mean that's just bad business sense for Jaxx too- why NOT bring business to your club? So stupid of them and very disrespectful towards the bands. Any idea if this is influence from the new management?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:37 AM
N00B

In mid Sept. I email Jaxx about the Anvil show coming on the 19th. and they never did respond. I don't like the new website at all

In regards to the new ownership coming in January, that's hard to say. I spoke to Jay (current owning) Saturday night about it a bit and he didn't say much about the new owner of the club, except that he would still be booking shows there for a few more years.

I was there at Saxon friday night and noticed right away that our regular bartenders are no longer there. Something is going on and it doesn't seem to be positive.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimyo View Post
[*]This Is Thirteen[*]New Orleans Voodoo
Their two best songs.

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest
Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimigroov View Post
I don't like the new website at all

In regards to the new ownership coming in January, that's hard to say.

I was there at Saxon friday night and noticed right away that our regular bartenders are no longer there. Something is going on and it doesn't seem to be positive.
I think I agree with most all of that- unfortunately.

I def did not see some of the 'regular' bartenders that would usually be there at the past few shows I've gone to.

Only time will tell I think :/
Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I saw them at Reggies In Chicago in July from the top of the stage and they did play their heart out. Also that show was nearly packed too.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

They played the Phoenix club in Toronto last I heard and thats a 1500 capacity, I'm sure they got close to that or it would've gotten moved.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 PM
triturabis primatum

I would also add that they're playing MDF 2012, I'm going to see them there so I skipped this show. I know it's months away, but I've already got my pass for MDF and don't want to spend to just see Anvil, I'm sure others did the same.

Tags
anvil, baby jane, not-liable