Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 PM
That Guy

Firewind -- St. Paul, MN -- October 19th, 2011

I'm actually awake enough to give a full review this time. Again all the good stuff is after the show.

To start things off, those that don't know Bill Hudson, guitarist filling in for Nightrage, got me, plus 1, on the guest list. This was in face the best free show I have ever been to.

There was 6 bands total tonight. The first band was Under Eden a Local Death Metal band who is heavily influenced by Opeth. They fucking kicked ass!

The 2nd band was Cwn Annwn. Imagine if Lacuna Coil had balls, and if In This Moment didn't suck. That's these guys. Sadly they only got to do 2 songs because the guitarist amp blew up mid-song. They finished the 2nd song and had to call it a night.

Next up was Nightrage, and these guys fucking kicked ass. Old school Melodic Death Metal in the early In Flames era. Bill Hudson of course kicked ass filling in for their original guitarist. Their set was:

Delirium of the fallen
Insidious
Being Nothing
Glow Of The Setting Sun
Frozen
Wear A Martyr's Crown
The Tremor

Then came White Wizzard. I was shocked to find out that their drummer had the EXACT same drumset I have. *Pearl Export* I thought that was kinda cool. These guys fucking rock. It's like if Judas Priest stayed rockin' and Metal back in the days before Hot Turbo Lover. Their new singer, formerly of Cellador (Also Bill Hudson was of Cellador) has some really killer pipes and was the right choice to be in White Wizzard, their set was:

Over The Top
40 Deuces
Celestina
Fight To The Death
Flying Tigers
High Speed GTO

Then came the almighty Arsis....but with a major Twist....James Malone quit the band!!! They had 2 new guys the singer was a bigger guy, bald, with an epic beard, but killer death metal vocals, and new guitarist, who I only Remember his first name, Brandon (I'll learn it soon, I'll explain later about that and regarding James Malone.) is probably the best live guitarist I have ever heard. I'm not even kidding about that. But I was very shocked But this current line up is....MINDBLOWING!!! Also as guitarist, Nick said into the mic, this current lineup of Arsis will never play Progressive Entrapment live. Not sure why. But anyways I'll get back to Arsis later, here's their set:

Servants to the Night
Maddening Disdain
Overthrown
We are the Nightmare
Forced To Rock
Sense The Shadows
Promise
The Face Of My Innocence

Then came FIREWIND!!!! They are even better then they are on record. Gus, while of course fucking amazing, I payed attention to him the least. All the rest of the guys caught my attention more. All of them have some of the best chops in the business. Although I lost contact with most of theier material, I will now be re-discovering them again. Here is their set, from the picture I took my setlist:

After the show I immediately had to sit down. I was dead, but as soon as I got up, I spotted Nick and Brandon of Arsis and I had to talk to them.

I spent a good 20 minutes with those guys talking about band life...but before we did that, i had to find out what was going on. Apparently James quit before the tour but they are keeping it low key right now until after the tour. They are trying to get him back into the fold, but it's not looking good and Arsis may be gone after this tour. The guys in this lineup are going to keep going, but they are not sure if they can keep the name or not, if they can't they will keep going regardless. I sure as fuck hope they do, they were sooooooooooo solid. They have half an album written already, and the label is being really cool about the current band situation so they are in no rush to push the album and tour again, they are going to take their time to make the best album possible. But after all that depressing stuff was over, the other guys found out that the rest of guys left already, banging 3 girls with Rich Thick Minnesota accents in the tour van.

Then we went back to talking about touring, bands, music in general. They are 2 extremely cool dudes that I hope keep going under the name Arsis or not. Brandon joined Arsis 3 weeks ago! and I dare say blows Jame Malone away....and he's only 19! me being 23 and a drummer, that makes me a bit jealous, but damn proud that the generation below me won't suck. haha.

Then I got both of the guys to do Station IDs for my show and they were really interested in it, which is pretty damn cool. I'll be sending them the show that features Arsis in a couple weeks when I record it.

So after hanging out with those guys, I waited out by the bus for Firewind. It was under 40 degrees and windy, it fucking sucked!!!

After waiting abut a half hour the tour bus driver came off the bus and people were asking when they were coming out, and he said soon, they just gotta rest. Then some dumass, drunk chick tried getting on the bus to see Gus G. (She probably only knows him for being in Ozzy's band) then the tour bus driver uttered the words "Fuck off, they're staying on the bus."

While disappointed, i totally understood and went home.

So despite that dumb bitch, the night was fucking incredible, the best Free show I have ever been to.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Man sounds like an awesome night was had, but that SUCKS about Arsis.. hopefully they to keep up the name and shiz!!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Man sounds like an awesome night was had, but that SUCKS about Arsis.. hopefully they to keep up the name and shiz!!
Same here man. This lineup is fucking badass. They need to keep playing.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

James is still in Arsis, just couldn't go on tour
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
James is still in Arsis, just couldn't go on tour
That's....not what I heard from the guys in Arsis. I want that to be the case. But I guess more on the situation will be announced after the tour.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 AM
N00B

FREE SHOW??? Must be nice!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimyo View Post
FREE SHOW??? Must be nice!
Sans gas money anyways (hour and a half drive there and back.) But yes it is petty badass.

Without trying to sound egotistical. this will be happening a lot more. But I gotta work for it. I'll be interviewing the bands as well. Starting with the band Four Year Strong on the 27th. I'm hoping I can with Cynic and 3 November 13th.

Tags
arsis, firewind, nightrage, white wizzard