Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodoftheKings View Post
Fags. Most pop is better then donkey punch.
Correction, Donkey Punch is Pop.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Correction, Donkey Punch is Pop.
I wouldn't ever go so far as to call radio-rock "pop".
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
I wouldn't ever go so far as to call radio-rock "pop".
I would. The only difference is instead of drum machines and synths they use distorted guitars.

All music is related in some way or another, just because something is heavier doesn't make it less pop friendly. They've gotten poppier on every album. Its undeniably going to happen the more popular you get.

Catch my drift yet?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents on Five Finger Death Punch because everyone else seems to be. Their first album is decent. It was faux-tough guy shit, but it wasn't annoying and was some decent groove metal. The second album was alright. A few solid songs, but it had too many mainstream ballads. Their new record is straight-up bad, they are way too full of themselves now and the lyrics are cringe-worthy.

Despite the fact that I'm not really a fan, they do get a lot more shit than they deserve. There are a LOT worse bands out there. These guys do put on a good show and Ivan Moody can sing pretty well.
Agree with this on all counts. I used to listen to them when The Way of the Fist came out, saw them live a couple times and loved every minute of it. Actually the first club show I ever went to was a FFDP show. I got out of them for a little bit, and when the second album came out I briefly listened to them for a little bit again. That one wasn't as good, but not long after that they just kind of fell off of my radar.

I think alot of people just give them shit because it's 'cool' to. They're not all tough guy assholes like they try to be, they just know what sells, and they're doing a damn good job at it. I met Ivan Moody backstage at Mayhem in 2010, when I wasn't even a fan of them, mind you, and he came across as a very chill, respectable, friendly guy. Same with the bassist they had at the time.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:31 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
Agree with this on all counts. I used to listen to them when The Way of the Fist came out, saw them live a couple times and loved every minute of it. Actually the first club show I ever went to was a FFDP show. I got out of them for a little bit, and when the second album came out I briefly listened to them for a little bit again. That one wasn't as good, but not long after that they just kind of fell off of my radar.

I think alot of people just give them shit because it's 'cool' to. They're not all tough guy assholes like they try to be, they just know what sells, and they're doing a damn good job at it. I met Ivan Moody backstage at Mayhem in 2010, when I wasn't even a fan of them, mind you, and he came across as a very chill, respectable, friendly guy. Same with the bassist they had at the time.
Someone give this man a medal.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
One on hand, I am ripping on these guys, but on the other, aren't I helping their fans find out what the tour setlist is going to be?

thanks for the setlists :3

I like all three bands, and Do appreciate the setlists :3

However I don't take things *that* seriously so I can laugh at the 'Donkey Punch' naming (but if you dare talk about MANOWAR... well there will be blood, brother). Hell their 'real' name is rather silly, almost as bad as the Verb the Noun bands... but I enjoy their music so I will hate on their name.

also WTF a drum solo? piss break.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
things are more than just what you see

I've seen some interviews with the band and even where they talked about the tracks for the new album and they seem to know the things people say about them being tough guys and they don't seem to buy into it, the song under and over it was supposed to be making fun of all the things said about them. I'm not going to defend all they're lyrics cause some of them suck, but I enjoy them for the musicianship which I think is tallented, and I really enjoy Ivan's voice.

9/21: Uproar Festival
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
Chill out, dude. It's just that when I think heaviest shit ever, I tend to think either Gojira, Yob, or Meshuggah. Not Hatebreed.
So I decided to read through this thread because I wanted to see how puerile the arguing would get, and I came across this post implying that when you think of the heaviest shit ever, neither Slayer nor Black Sabbath are mentioned.

FAIL

Also, Perseverance is fucking awesome, that song embodies nearly everything I love about hardcore in a single track.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents on Five Finger Death Punch because everyone else seems to be. Their first album is decent. It was faux-tough guy shit, but it wasn't annoying and was some decent groove metal.
Agreed. I really didn't mind their first album, it had some decent songs IMO. It's just everything since, IMO, has been dog shit. And they're so overrated and sell a ton of records, which irritates me even more.

And as other people have said........6 fucking songs for Hatebreed? That is straight garbage.

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
N00B

I think 5FDP's first album, Way of the Fist, wasn't exactly a breath of fresh air for metal, but I think it was something new. I really like that album. One of my favorites in the past five years. It has some very heavy songs like Way of the Fist, White Knuckles, and Salvation. Their second album had some great songs like Dying Breed, Burn it Down, and War is the Answer but a lot of cheesy radio ballads. Their new album has a few memorable moments but a lot of cheesy radio stuff again.

I think you can consider their new album radio rock but don't label them as a radio rock band. When I think of radio rock I think of shit bands like Theory of a Deadman (worst live band I've ever seen), Seether, Three Days Grace, and Alter Bridge. Those bands just rely on one or two solid singles with shitty verses and catchy choruses to be popular. Show me one song either of those 4 radio rock bands made that is like Burn it Down, Way of the Fist, or White Knuckles.

I saw 5FDP at the first Mayhem show when they were on the side stage. It was in the top 2 most brutal shows I've been at. I had first row against the barracades and I broke a rib. They had the place going nuts. White Knuckles was one of the most insane live songs I've ever seen. I then saw them at Mayhem two years ago when they were on the main stage. The crowd was a lot less aggressive and they had way more fans. It just shows how they've become more of a radio friendly band, but at their core they still are very heavy.
Closed Thread

Tags
all that remains, five finger death punch, hatebreed