Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Headbanger

I have a couple of surprises at The Top 25 and Top 10 mark just to keep it interesting. Moving on to a band that has so many great songs but this one was always one of my favorites and rarely received any accolades or was played live. Hatebreed recently covered it and gave it some exposure so hopefully it starts to get the credit it deserves. To me Join the Army was a HUGE drop off from the S/T ST album but this song was one of the few good enough to be on that cd to me. I Feel Your Pain is another favorite...

Intersting story. I go to pick my buddy who was a hardcore punk rocker with huge mohawk for this show. He sees my Metallica - Ride the Lightning Tour shirt and tells me that I'm going to get the living shit beat outta me at the show. I tell him he's crazy and that this is the coolest shirt I own and he said metalheads get pummeled at punk shows. I laugh and say I'll be fine headbanging, singing along and minding my own business. As we walk up to the door at a place called The Bank, the guy taking our $10 tells me for my own good I should turn my shirt inside out. At this point I'm like WTF? Really? Had I not been wasted I might have done it at that point but decided not to. Bottom line I got some mean mugging looks and took a few direct hits from moshers but stood my ground and had an incredible time. Watching my 5'5 buddy with his 10' mohawk moshing was a sight to see and getting to hear all my favorite ST songs was worth it. One for the annals...

#34 - Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Maniac
10/24 - Judas Priest & Steel Panther
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I have a couple of surprises at The Top 25 and Top 10 mark just to keep it interesting. Moving on to a band that has so many great songs but this one was always one of my favorites and rarely received any accolades or was played live. Hatebreed recently covered it and gave it some exposure so hopefully it starts to get the credit it deserves. To me Join the Army was a HUGE drop off from the S/T ST album but this song was one of the few good enough to be on that cd to me. I Feel Your Pain is another favorite...

Intersting story. I go to pick my buddy who was a hardcore punk rocker with huge mohawk for this show. He sees my Metallica - Ride the Lightning Tour shirt and tells me that I'm going to get the living shit beat outta me at the show. I tell him he's crazy and that this is the coolest shirt I own and he said metalheads get pummeled at punk shows. I laugh and say I'll be fine headbanging, singing along and minding my own business. As we walk up to the door at a place called The Bank, the guy taking our $10 tells me for my own good I should turn my shirt inside out. At this point I'm like WTF? Really? Had I not been wasted I might have done it at that point but decided not to. Bottom line I got some mean mugging looks and took a few direct hits from moshers but stood my ground and had an incredible time. Watching my 5'5 buddy with his 10' mohawk moshing was a sight to see and getting to hear all my favorite ST songs was worth it. One for the annals...

#34 - Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Maniac
Man, I thought it was a known fact that in the 80s/early 90s, metalheads and punks hated each other and would beat the shit out of each other at shows...
Old 10-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Man, I thought it was a known fact that in the 80s/early 90s, metalheads and punks hated each other and would beat the shit out of each other at shows...
This was my 1st Punk show and I only really read metal 'zines back then so I was a little naive in hindsight. Plus when I thought of Punk I thought of the Sex Pistols or Ramones, not Suicidal really. Also T.S.O.L. opened and they were on a compilation album I had so I thought there would be other metalheads there.

I was wrong...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

great thread, loving the concerts stories bro

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
great thread, loving the concerts stories bro

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Thanks man. As music lovers it's easy to like/dislike a song on cd but the true gauge has always been hearing the song live to me. Not that I've seen every single song on here live but most of them including 18 of the Top 20.

I'd KILL to see the other 2 by the way...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Headbanger

Ironically the next 2 songs in the list I never got to see live so looking over my list I got to see 30 of my Top 35 favorite headbanging songs live so that's something I'm kinda proud of. I doubt anyone on here saw this song live since I read it was only played live 4 times ever with Dayton 72 being the only version I actually heard. If you have, you're the man!

I can't listen to this song without headbanging. I'm doubt many people choose Vol 4 as their favorite Sabbath album but This song is in my Top 5 Sabbath songs and Supernaut and Cornucopia are both Top 10-15. I love every riff in this song and the lyrics are pure genius to me. Another Sabbath song I "re-discovered" years later that would continue to grow on me to this day. I often compare Vol 4 to Pink Floyd - Animals. 2 albums I heard, kinda liked and blew off only to grow to love years later.

If Sabbath does reunite they need to drop the War Pigs/Iron Man fodder and play songs we've been dying to hear live like this one. That would be worth shelling out $100 to Sharon's kids wedding funds. hahaha

#33 - Black Sabbath - Under the Sun
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Phil should take them on tour with him. Superjoint / Rigor Mortis / Down type show.
Hell, if RM is with anyone I'd be there in a heartbeat. But that lineup is a Texan's wet dream right there haha
Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Ironically the next 2 songs in the list I never got to see live so looking over my list I got to see 30 of my Top 35 favorite headbanging songs live so that's something I'm kinda proud of. I doubt anyone on here saw this song live since I read it was only played live 4 times ever with Dayton 72 being the only version I actually heard. If you have, you're the man!
They did it once during 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z088pu1cOas
Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I would shit a brick if I were at a Sabbath show and they played Under the Sun. One of my top 5 Sabbath songs, for sure.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

you can't go wrong with Black Sabbath

Cheers !
PowerMaiden