Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Daimonos's Top 25 Doom/Stoner/Sludge Albums

Over the past two or so years, doom metal has grown to be my favorite genre of extreme music. Black Sabbath was the first band I started listening to back when I was eight years old, so it was only natural for me to revert back to my roots. Since I started getting into the genre, I've constantly been looking for new bands to get into, and now I feel like I am somewhat qualified to share my views on how I would rank some of my favorite albums by 25 different doom bands.

To me, Doom Metal is a pretty broad term. In my opinion, sludge and stoner metal are subgenres of Doom, along with traditional doom, funeral doom, death/doom, all that kind of stuff. This list will contain a little bit of variety, as I'm limiting the entries to only one album per band. You might consider some of these choices to be 'cliche' or unoriginal, but this is the way I feel. This is just a list of my personal favorites, and I am not stating anything as fact. Doom is something that I am still exploring to this day, so there might be some stuff left out. I'm always looking for new bands to get into. So yeah, this list will probably be different in my eyes a couple months from now, but these are my opinions at the moment. I hope I can help some people get into one of my favorite genres!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Looking forward to reading what will be a great list.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:19 PM

25. Om - Pilgrimage
Stoner/Doom Metal

1. Pilgrimage
2. Unitive Knowledge of the Godhead
3. Bhima's Theme
4. Pilgrimage (Reprise)

Many of you probably know the band Sleep, and if you don't, then you really need to pay attention to this thread. Om was formed by the 2/3rd's of Sleep who didn't form High on Fire, aka Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius. You might be asking who they got to play guitar for their band, and you might be surprised at the answer. Nobody. Om is (was) just those two musicians, a bassist and a drummer. It's kind of difficult to describe Om's sound. The bass riffs can be trance inducing, and very peaceful, with tribal drumming and soft vocals, but at times, the volume will get turned up to 11 and all madness will ensue. This is proof that the bass guitar is an extremely powerful weapon, if used correctly. Even though this is the lowest number on the list, it is by no means a bad album. I encourage all fans of Sleep, as well as everyone else to check these guys out, right now.

Highlights:
The whole thing, it flows really well.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 PM

24. Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
Death/Doom Metal

1. Norge
2. Troll
3. Dommedagsnatt
4. Mellom Galgene (Live)

Here's one that most of you are probably unfamiliar with, and that's a damned shame. The reasons for that can be summed up in the following names: Greg Anderson, Stephen O'Malley, and Guy Pinhas. Many of you will recognize the first two names as the members of Sunn O))), and most of you are probably aware that Greg Anderson is the founder of Southern Lord Records, which is probably the most awesome metal record label there is. You might also recognize Guy Pinhas from Goatsnake, The Obsessed, and Burning Witch. Basically, it needs to be understood that this is the first project of Anderson and O'Malley, who both helped shape the doom world. I haven't yet mentioned the most important piece of the band though, 17 year old female Norwegian exchange student (who I've heard was dating Ihsahn at the time), Runhild Gammelsaeter, who was the bands vocalist. She is by far the most ungodly female metal vocalist I have ever heard. She growls deeper than most men do, and has a beautiful clean voice. The four songs on this EP are crushing slabs of death/doom metal done right. This project was short lived, however, as Gammelsaeter had to return to Norway, after which most of the band went on to form Burning Witch.

Highlights:
Once again, there are too few songs to pick highlights, just listen to the whole thing!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post

24. Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
Death/Doom Metal

1. Norge
2. Troll
3. Dommedagsnatt
4. Mellom Galgene (Live)

Here's one that most of you are probably unfamiliar with, and that's a damned shame. The reasons for that can be summed up in the following names: Greg Anderson, Stephen O'Malley, and Guy Pinhas. Many of you will recognize the first two names as the members of Sunn O))), and most of you are probably aware that Greg Anderson is the founder of Southern Lord Records, which is probably the most awesome metal record label there is. You might also recognize Guy Pinhas from Goatsnake, The Obsessed, and Burning Witch. Basically, it needs to be understood that this is the first project of Anderson and O'Malley, who both helped shape the doom world. I haven't yet mentioned the most important piece of the band though, 17 year old female Norwegian exchange student (who I've heard was dating Ihsahn at the time), Runhild Gammelsaeter, who was the bands vocalist. She is by far the most ungodly female metal vocalist I have ever heard. She growls deeper than most men do, and has a beautiful clean voice. The four songs on this EP are crushing slabs of death/doom metal done right. This project was short lived, however, as Gammelsaeter had to return to Norway, after which most of the band went on to form Burning Witch.

Highlights:
Once again, there are too few songs to pick highlights, just listen to the whole thing!

Nice pick, this is a great EP.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Might as well post one more tonight, since I already have it typed up...

23. Sahg - Sahg II
Stoner/Doom Metal

1. Ascent to Decadence
2. Echoes Ring Forever
3. From Conscious Sleep
4. Star-Crossed
5. Escape the Crimson Sun
6. Pyromancer
7. Wicked Temptress
8. By the Toll of the Bell
9. Monomania

Sahg are a stoner band from Norway. Many of you may be familiar with their bassist, King ov Hell, who previously played with the band Gorgoroth. This album showcases a pretty good mix of doom, stoner rock, and just plain rock and roll. They've got some pretty groovy riffs, as well as some pretty heavy ones. Vocalist Thomas Tofthagen has got a pretty good range, and has some vocals lines that can be mesmerizing while soaring over the many great riffs on the album. Closer Monomania is a 10 minute psychedelic journey that builds as the song goes on. Recommended for all metal fans, it's got a pretty classic vibe about it.

Highlights:
Ascent to Decadence
Echoes Ring Forever
Star-Crossed
Wicked Temptress
Monomania

Last edited by daimonos; 10-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

OM IS SO GOOD
11/12 - Eyehategod
12/05 - Alien Ant Farm (what)
Old 10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

you should post youtube links
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
you should post youtube links
Lazy motherfuckers...

Maybe on the next post...
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

I used to have some Om tracks on my comp but I don't know what the hell happened to them! Great list so far, never heard Thorr's Hammer, will have to check it out.