Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014

Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Headbanger

I was always a big Vio-lence fan. Most of my friends hated the vocals so I remember going to see them live the 1st time alone. They opened for Voivod who I had a hard time getting into but I loved their cover of Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine so I went and had a great time. I talked some people into going with me to see Rigor Mortis open for Vio-lence on the Opressing the Masses Tour and that show blew all of us away. OtM was one of my favorite albums for years and I was really looking forward to their 3rd cd Nothing to Gain. Years passed and hundreds of record store trips later, no new cd. I finally found it on ebay and once I heard it I realized this band made 2 incredible albums and just lost it. Many, many bands in that era were being pressured to slow it down and become more accessible and you can chalk Vio-lence up as another victim of that stupid Record Company mis-step.

A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become. Understatement of the century.... Burn My Eyes is a classic. One of the 20 best cd's I've ever heard. I caught them live at a club shortly after and the electricity of the live show blew me away. Nothing in music surprises me more than the inability of Machine Head to headline tours and sell out shows across America. Someday...

#40 - Machine Head - Blood for Blood

Had to use the Live version.
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become.
I'll be very surprised if no one objects to this. I commend you for praising Machine Head - they ARE very understated. Despite having more bad albums than good albums, Burn My Eyes and The Blackening are among the best metal albums I know from that spectrum of metal.
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become.

No. No. No. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. No. Fuck you. Fuck you. No.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalDescent View Post
I'll be very surprised if no one objects to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Actually I think my reaction to that beyond retarded observation is best served by Manky's avatar.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Nailed it!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Nailed it!
Yeah I got a laugh outta that. I actually thought he was kildding though.

If anyone holds Vio-lence - Nothing to Gain over Machine Head - Burn My Eyes, speak now and we can debate this topic openly. Granted it would be a retarded debate because one cd is one of the best cd's I've ever heard and the other was so bad record companies wouldn't even release it in America so good luck proving your point. I actually like 3 songs on Nothing to Gain because I'm a hardcore Vio-lence fan but Burn My Eyes is a classic and debating it vs. The Blackening would truly be an intelligent debate.

So the new Hipster thing to do is to hate on Machine Head? Who knew?

1/28 - Machine Head
Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Personally, I don't like Vio-lence, but dude, you're openly stating that one of the greatest thrash bands to ever exist isn't as good as the lead guitarist's nu metal-influenced groove metal band that came afterwards. I'm just saying, you're not making any friends here.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
Personally, I don't like Vio-lence, but dude, you're openly stating that one of the greatest thrash bands to ever exist isn't as good as the lead guitarist's nu metal-influenced groove metal band that came afterwards. I'm just saying, you're not making any friends here.
I didn't say that at all. I said should have become... Have you heard Vio-lence - Nothing to Gain? It took my 10 years to find and it kinda sucked.

A more natural progression would have been into Machine Head over commercial metal which is what Vio-lence became before they got dropped.

I got a laugh out of his response until he said my opinion was retarded or Brutals response was retarded. Whichever one. I'll never understand how someone standing up for themselves can be perceived as not making friends.

Usually calling someones opinion retarded for no reason would earn disdain but in Bizarro world the person who retaliates or stands up for themselves is often made the bad guy. Just sayin'
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 10-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

There's nothing wrong with liking Burn My Eyes better than a lackluster Vio-lence effort, but you said Machine Head as a band was what Vio-lence should have become. Considering Machine Head had done nothing but copy awful trend after awful trend up until The Blackening (and even then you could say they were being trendy because thrash was making a huge comeback in 2007), yea I stand by my opinion that that opinion is retarded.