Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Headbanger

This is a fun jamming out song with a great video. It was a constant staple on Headbangers Ball and it had a cameo on Beavis and Butthead. I also think Duke Nukem was based on the "mascot" the band had and pretty cool they got a famous wrestler to play him in the video.

These guys were huge over in Japan but not sure if they were anywhere else. I remember several years ago seeing one of their LP's go for $260 on ebay and I fell on the floor. Apparently someone still likes them. hahaha

#46 - Laaz Rockit - Fire in the Hole
Old 09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Headbanger

Another fun song. I was surprised years later that so many bands were bagging on Venom and their lack of musicianship. Really? It is what it is and I really liked some of their older stuff. This is a fun song that still makes me smile when I jam out to it.

One of the few mid-tempo songs. Like I mentioned I prefer blinding fast or blood-curdling slow. I really dig the Horror flick montage someone created for the song. Enjoy!

#45 - Venom - In League With Satan
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Headbanger

This is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands. Not much else I can say. Probably the most underrated band out there. The fact they get that sound from a 3-piece is amazing. So glad I got to see them live before they went prog. I totally get why people would prefer their later proggy stuff but the 1st 2 albums will forever be entrenched in my Top 20 of all time. I would kill to see them live again someday...

#44 - Sadus - The Wake

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
This is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands. Not much else I can say. Probably the most underrated band out there. The fact they get that sound from a 3-piece is amazing. So glad I got to see them live before they went prog. I totally get why people would prefer their later proggy stuff but the 1st 2 albums will forever be entrenched in my Top 20 of all time. I would kill to see them live again someday...

#44 - Sadus - The Wake
It's weird that I never got into Swallowed in Black as much as Chemical Exposure, maybe I gotta listen to it more. But that's a sick choice!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
This is a fun jamming out song with a great video. It was a constant staple on Headbangers Ball and it had a cameo on Beavis and Butthead. I also think Duke Nukem was based on the "mascot" the band had and pretty cool they got a famous wrestler to play him in the video.

These guys were huge over in Japan but not sure if they were anywhere else. I remember several years ago seeing one of their LP's go for $260 on ebay and I fell on the floor. Apparently someone still likes them. hahaha

#46 - Laaz Rockit - Fire in the Hole
I didn't even know anyone else knew about these guys!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
It's weird that I never got into Swallowed in Black as much as Chemical Exposure, maybe I gotta listen to it more. But that's a sick choice!
Thanks man. Yeah I can't possibly recommend it more highly. I used to subject my friends to it when we played Madden football and they grew to really like it also. Worlds better than that actual Madden soundtracks. hahaha
Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Headbanger

The next tune is a band that was hyped as the fastest band in the world. They were on several speed metal compilations back in the day and kinda grew on me. They opened for Dark Angel in some dungeon in DC and I headbanged so hard at that show my next hurt for a week. I always saw them as kind of a novelty but I still dig this song.

While researching the clip I saw they remixed it and re-released it last year. Definitely different. I prefer the original but curious what you guys think.

The Original from 1987:

#43 - Wehrmacht - Shark Attack

The 2K remix:

Wehrmacht - Shark Attack 2K
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Headbanger

Another classic from 1987. Another epic minute long intro. I might be kind of predictable but a great thrash song is a great thrash song.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Sepultura when he played Morbid Visions for me and I hated the production but always knew this band could be incredible with the right production and if they continued to grow as musicians.

Obviously they did and brought in a ripping lead guitarist and the rest is history. One can only speculate how much incredible music we would have if the 4 who recorded this album and their other masterpieces never broke up.

As good as this version is, this song live was always mind-blowing and often times even faster live. I've seen this song a few times live and every time it was one of the highlights of the night.

#42 - Sepultura - Escape To The Void

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Headbanger

#41 has a ton of personal meaning to me because I saw it live more than any other song on this list. I saw so many incredible bands open for these guys it's crazy. The 1st time I ever saw Pantera they opened for Wrathchild America so that should tell you something. They played Hammerjacks at least once a month and every show was a huge party. This isn't their best song but it's their fastest so I would always go apeshit when they played it.

The Wrathchild name drama with an English punk band had them on the news many times also. I remember Sacred Reich opening for them and the singer ripping the english punk band to shreds even playing a few chords to one of their shitty songs mocking them. It was a big deal back then. So much so they had to add America to their name obviously.

For a band that started out playing Maiden and Accept covers they turned into a really great local band for years. Brad Divens is the sound guy for The Cult now, Terry Carter plays blues down in Florida and of course Shannon is in Godsmack now. Every year we try to get them to play the Hammerjacks Reunion. Here's hoping it finally happens in 2012!

#41 - Wrathchild America - Hell's Gates

This shows the band in their glory. Meliah Rage & Gang Green opened this night and Sully was the drummer for Meliah Rage. Maybe he and Shannon met this night, who knows. Definitely a great show. I got into Gang Green for a few months after this show. Desert Grins shows Shannons drumming skills way more than any of the Godsmack stuff too.

I Ain't Drunk with Sully Erna & Desert Grins

Bonus Song: This is the song they used to close with most shows. Fun little sing-a-long before we would jump in my car and drive around a few times looking for chicks who wanted to party. If I had to create a Soundtrack of my life Wrathchild would definitely have a fat chapter in the book. By far the most fun band I ever saw, partied with, jammed out to and saw live 30 or so times. I would kill to see them live 1 last time...

Subhumans - Slave to my Dick

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Headbanger

While I'm at it I'll share this last tidbit about bands in the 80's trying to make it. Shannon's hair is just wack! Great stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLb0...eature=related