Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Grindcore Fest -- Los Angeles, CA -- July 12th, 2014
Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

Enslaved -- Pittsburgh, PA -- September 24th, 2011

So easily one of the best shows of the year. Day started at 3:30 when I met up with Razor, her boyfriend, and their friend at the best place to eat in town. I've never seen a man eat a sandwich as quickly as her boyfriend did. But lunch was great and we were off to Mr. Smalls after getting stuck in traffic for awhile. Still, there were only three or four people in front of us when we arrived. Doors were at 6:30 and the mighty Argus went on at 6:55, playing for about a half-hour. They only played one song that they didn't on Monday opening for 40 Watt Sun, but I'll never pass up a chance to see Pittsburgh's best band.

Devils, Devils
Wolves of Dusk
42-7-29
A Curse on The World
Boldly Stride The Doomed

Junius was on next and you could tell by the crowd mood there was a decent amount of people that didn't know Ghost dropped off. They went on at 7:40 and played until 8:15. I'm not familiar with their material at all so I can't provide a setlist but they were really good in my opinion. I don't think Razor was a big fan though. I highly recommend them however.

At 8:25 Alcest took the stage and while they're saying that their set is 40 minutes, they played for 50. Unfortunately, there was a sound issue for Neige's vocals which caused a lot of feedback during his cleans and the snare was almost inaudible for the first half of the set, but once the issues were ironed out, the sound was spot on. Neige didn't say much between songs besides thank you and announcing a few song titles, and was nowhere to be found after their set, but it was just fine with me after the set they played. Neige's black metal vocals live are breathtaking.

Le Secret
Les Iris
Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
Écailles de Lune (part 1)
Printemps Emeraude
Percees De Lumiere

After a 30 minute changeover, Enslaved began and brought the house down. The sound was perfect throughout the entire set. Easily the best sounding band I've seen at Smalls. Grutle was absolutely hilarious the entire night. He told a joke that absolutely bombed and then yelled "GO PENGUINS!" for a huge crowd reaction. The set, while heavy on the last 4 albums, still was perfect for the band they are today, though I think Isa is a weak closer. Immigrant Song made up for that though. This may be a bit out of order, but I'm not missing a song. If I am, Razor or stylesclash can yell at me to fix it. Though seeing the Jaxx set, they're not keeping the same order.

Axioma
Ethica Odini
Raidho
Fusion of Sense and Earth
The Voices
Heimvegan
Ruun
Ground
Giants
As Fire Swept Clean The Earth
Jotunblod
Allfáğr Oğinn
-----------------------------
Immigrant Song
Isa

Merch for all bands were 25 for shirts, 25 for Junius and Alcest vinyl, 15 some Alcest CDs, 18 for the Le Secret re-release, 12 for Junius CDs, 15 for Enslaved CDs, and 40 for an Enslaved hoodie and workshirt. 4 Enslaved shirt designs, 2 Alcest, and 2 Junius designs.
Swans: 9/11
Trust: 9/27
Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Did they play the new slow version of Jotunblood or the Frost version?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Did they play the new slow version of Jotunblood or the Frost version?
Frost version

Also, Grutle said the reason why they don't play Havenless is because they would need a six man choir for the chants since they refuse to do it from a backing track.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM
beware of the quiet one

Neige was in the back watching Enslaved perform, I saw him through that little opening on the side of the stage. Junius was alright, I think I was still bummed that Ghost wasn't there. And no yelling is in order, I think you got all the songs. ^^

Also, it was great to finally officially meet you! Everyone on my end had a great time as well.
7/29 - The Offspring
Old 09-25-2011, 03:51 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobys37 View Post
Also, Grutle said the reason why they don't play Havenless is because they would need a six man choir for the chants since they refuse to do it from a backing track.
Hmm. That makes sense, I guess. Couldn't they all do the chants, though? I feel like that would suffice. Oh well.

Quote:
Axioma
Ethica Odini
Raidho
Fusion of Sense and Earth
The Voices
Heimvegan
Ruun
Ground
Giants
As Fire Swept Clean The Earth
Jotunblod
Allfáğr Oğinn
-----------------------------
Immigrant Song
Isa
Ruun and Heimvegan! Awesome! Same with Immigrant Song. Man, this is gonna be a great concert. Thanks for the merch prices, also. Do you happen to remember what the Alcest shirts were like?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I'm glad you guys had fun! I was kind of bummed because I knew that Enslaved was playing in Pittsburgh last night and I wasn't there. They were probably expecting to see me since I've bugged the hell out of them the last two times they've been here. I will definitely talk to them in Chicago though, Cato is seriously the nicest person I've met from any band, ever.

This set really is incredible. I'm glad they're playing Allfadr Odinn. This is definitely going to be the show of the year for me.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:03 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
After a 30 minute changeover, Enslaved began and brought the house down. The sound was perfect throughout the entire set. Easily the best sounding band I've seen at Smalls. Grutle was absolutely hilarious the entire night. He told a joke that absolutely bombed and then yelled "GO PENGUINS!" for a huge crowd reaction. The set, while heavy on the last 4 albums, still was perfect for the band they are today, though I think Isa is a weak closer. Immigrant Song made up for that though. This may be a bit out of order, but I'm not missing a song. If I am, Razor or stylesclash can yell at me to fix it. Though seeing the Jaxx set, they're not keeping t
I second.
11/01 - Suffocation
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Hmm. That makes sense, I guess. Couldn't they all do the chants, though? I feel like that would suffice. Oh well.

Ruun and Heimvegan! Awesome! Same with Immigrant Song. Man, this is gonna be a great concert. Thanks for the merch prices, also. Do you happen to remember what the Alcest shirts were like?
If they're going to do it, they want to do it right and to the full effect that the song should be. For that, I really respect them.

Alcest has one black shirt with the logo on the front and the tour dates on the back and a grey shirt with the logo on it. Very minimalist, but look beautiful.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
If they're going to do it, they want to do it right and to the full effect that the song should be. For that, I really respect them.

Alcest has one black shirt with the logo on the front and the tour dates on the back and a grey shirt with the logo on it. Very minimalist, but look beautiful.
Aaaaaawesome. I'll probably end up picking up both.

Tags
alcest, argus, enslaved