Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen -- Columbia, MD -- July 20th, 2014
Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I can't say I'm surprised, but the fact that Mikael is actually apologizing for the set is a bit concerning. Like you said, why bother playing it if the artist isn't confident in it?
He's doing what he wants to do. As a musician, I completely understand that. I'd rather the band do this than just go through the motions. Good example: The whole Strapping Young Lad situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackedUpForBBQ View Post
Hell, I'd love to hear this set. Bottom line it's OPETH and anyone at the show who calls themselves a fan should get enjoyment out of it. I like the fact that they're doing something different for a change, and that they still drastically change up their set from tour to tour.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
You know, I'm starting to come to terms that I'm going to be seeing a completely clean Opeth concert here. Sure, I'm disappointed, but also a little excited at the opportunity this presents.

That being said, as we've stated before, there are MUCH better "clean" Opeth songs they cold be playing. And it looks like the set isn't really gonna change...

EDIT: If they throw in Atonement, I will completely forgive them.
Have you even seen Opeth live before? If you haven't you should just top your complaining now, because you're going to have a good time. Trust me. Opeth's clean stuff is awesome live. Sure there are some other songs that he could be putting in, but you also need to keep in mind that the only song in this entire set that they played on the last US tour is Closure, and I'm fine with that because Closure live is an experience. They're changing it up, and I'm fine with that. I would actually be kind of upset if they played three or four of the same songs that they played last time I saw them, because it cuts down on the opportunities to see stuff I haven't seen.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
We're dying on the inside

Awww, I forgot that Opeth fanboys were a thing.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Awww, I forgot that Opeth fanboys were a thing.

I don't want JD to miss out on the experience of Opeth live to go see some scene kid band, it's just not right.

Call me a fanboy if you want, I can honestly say that I wouldn't listen to 90% of the music that I listen to today if it weren't for Opeth. I just don't feel the need to complain like everyone else does, and I'm all for new things. If it sucks, yeah, I'll be disappointed, but a shows a show. Iron Maiden for example. I fucking hated reunion era material other than Brave New World, but the show last summer when they played almost nothing but new material ended up being one of the best shows I've ever seen. This is the same concept, in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I don't want JD to miss out on the experience of Opeth live to go see some scene kid band, it's just not right.
I love you
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Unhealer

Aww, I would've gone to this if it wasn't so soon after ProgPower. :/ Brilliant trolling, really.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
He's doing what he wants to do. As a musician, I completely understand that. I'd rather the band do this than just go through the motions. Good example: The whole Strapping Young Lad situation.
Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I'm bashing Opeth, or that I'm not all for artistic freedom. They've been one of my favorite bands since my sophmore year of high school, and I completely get Mikael wanting to do something different. Hell, I'm really enjoying Heritage. I'm just disappointed they're omitting some of their best songs. I mean, no Harvest?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I'm bashing Opeth, or that I'm not all for artistic freedom. They've been one of my favorite bands since my sophmore year of high school, and I completely get Mikael wanting to do something different. Hell, I'm really enjoying Heritage. I'm just disappointed they're omitting some of their best songs. I mean, no Harvest?
I hear you on that. I'm actually pretty surprised there's no Harvest either. It seems like they've always played that one alot, which is probably why they're not playing it this time around.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Sad Wings Of Destiny

Haha, my friend went to this show for his 21st birthday. He said it was like standing around listening to music in Starbucks.
10/15 - Amon Amarth, Sabaton
Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by girnny777 View Post
Haha, my friend went to this show for his 21st birthday. He said it was like standing around listening to music in Starbucks.
I'm not gonna lie, I kind of expected it to be like that at first before I knew the set list, but now I have no doubt it's gonna be like that in Chicago. Something tells me Wicker Park is gonna be flocking to the Vic that night...
Old 09-21-2011, 06:33 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
I'm not gonna lie, I kind of expected it to be like that at first before I knew the set list, but now I have no doubt it's gonna be like that in Chicago. Something tells me Wicker Park is gonna be flocking to the Vic that night...
Oh my god I'm dying

Tags
opeth