After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Well, I'm ok with the Heritage stuff because it's to be expected to be heavily covered on this tour. But I kind of think like... Throat of Winter, PitI2, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega.... all as part of the same show? Really... that's.... boring... Were I to divide Opeth's entire discography into concert-length playlists, I don't think I would put more than one of those songs in a single list. It's just lame.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
N00B

Agreed. I actually really like Heritage, but like you said, combined with the other material (seriously, where the hell did Patterns in the Ivy II come from?) its kind of a lackluster set. I'm interested in seeing tonight's set list. Maybe they'll add/drop a song.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
not the mama

http://www.last.fm/music/Opeth/+shoutbox

awful.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
We're dying on the inside

This deserves a "Play Classics" bitch fit more than the AMOLAD tour ever did.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
Well, I'm ok with the Heritage stuff because it's to be expected to be heavily covered on this tour. But I kind of think like... Throat of Winter, PitI2, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega.... all as part of the same show? Really... that's.... boring... Were I to divide Opeth's entire discography into concert-length playlists, I don't think I would put more than one of those songs in a single list. It's just lame.
Interesting point. I would've loved to hear Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega on the Watershed Tour. But they focused on the heavier material instead, by playing Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater. It would've been a lot more balanced if they played one of each back on the Watershed Tour, and one of each on this tour.

Some bands tend to play in cycles like this. Iron Maiden is a good example. In 2006, they played their entire new album and barely any classics. In 2008, they played all classics and no new songs. In 2010, they played a mostly newer songs but also several classics.

I don't necessarily have a problem when bands do this, I just wish they would say so BEFORE tickets go on sale. With the price of concert tickets these days, fans deserve to know what they're getting. Especially if the band is doing something "different" than what's expected.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

This isn't totally comparable to the AMOLAD tour, though I get it... It's more like if AMOLAD had sounded completely different from Maiden's previous work and the last 5 songs in the set were all shit from the NPFTD-VXI set albums. Again, nothing I hate in those albums but to have all the 'older' material in a set be from them would be balls.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
>people still think Opeth was a legit death metal band in any sense of the genre
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
And why the fuck are they playing Throat of Winter? Why? You tell me why. I need to know why.
Cause it's good ass song, it's new, and it was the first hint at Opeth's new direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondtheblack View Post
For God's sake, what are you all expecting? Of course there's not going to be any growling, this is the HERITAGE tour. Just sit back and appreciate this stage of Opeth's development as fully as they are so generous to present it.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
This, but I'd go so far as to say these aren't all good songs. Was anyone clamoring for Throat of Winter, Credence, Patterns in the Ivy 2, or most of that Heritage shit?
Credence is incredible live, and I think it's really cool they're playing Patterns in the Ivy II, that one totally came out of nowhere, but it's a great song.

Basically...I'm not fucking complaining.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
N00B

I'm going to sound like a total N00b here but...what the hell is Patterns in the Ivy 2?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
We're dying on the inside

The whole "Opeth isn't death metal!" thing carries no weight with me. They have long passages with metal riffs and growled vocals. I know they don't sound like Incantation. No one is fucking asking them to. Opeth sounds like Opeth, except on this tour, they won't. That's the problem here.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
I'm going to sound like a total N00b here but...what the hell is Patterns in the Ivy 2?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwa...#Track_listing

Tags
katatonia, opeth