Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Headbanger

My 50 Favorite Headbanging Songs

Inspired by Garagemetal's thrash list I've been listening to a shitton of old thrash stuff from my formative years. I figured I'd make a list since some of these songs are popular and others you may have never heard. These songs will pretty much all be really fast or in some cases really slow. I think headbanging is a lost art in the age of karate kids and moshing but my favorite concert experiences were headbanging, singing along and hopefully not taking a Doc to the noggin. Hopefully you'll find some songs you really dig or find some bands worth checking out like I did with GM's list.

I'll start off with a song that epitomizes headbanging for me. The 1st minute starts with a great riff into mid-tempo and they total thrash and that's just the 1st minute. One of my favorite songs from a band that was never signed but opened for many thrash legends back in the day. If anyone on this list has even heard this song before you must be old and decrepit like me. Enjoy!

#50 - Chemikill - Kill My Confusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCWwiCi9kc

Also if anyone wants to remind me how you make the title the actual link I'll do it that way. Thanks guys!

EDIT 9/11/13: Pretty sure I got all the links working again but this one. I emailed the guy to see if he can fix it.

Last edited by jhdeity; 09-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Ha thanks for the mention! Never heard of Chemikill before, you definitely have a lot more background with thrash than I do so I'm sure I'll be finding a lot more awesome bands here! Looking forward to the list, but is it all thrash or is there gonna be other genres like death, black, etc.?

also, it's [ url= (link here minus the spaces) ]Title of whatever[/url]
Old 09-17-2011, 07:51 AM
We're dying on the inside

Ha, cool idea. Looking forward to this.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:21 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Wait, so you mean really fast whiplash-inducing thrash headbanging? Nice. Doom/sludge headbanging is fun as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Headbanger

Thanks guys. Yeah it's mostly thrash but I had to sprinkle in the best slow slugde stuff too. I'll probably do #49 tonight. After watching that heart wrenching Terps game I need to shift gears. hahaha #49 is one everyone will know but hopefully it will get them back into a cd they don't listen to much. I recently re-discovered it myself thanks to a reissue with bonus tracks and the entire cd is timeless.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

cool idea buddy \m/

I had never heard Chemikill before, good stuff !

btw,one of my absolute favourite headbanging song is Children Of Bodom's Angel Don't Kill

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

that Chemikill song's really good, vocals are kinda meh but the riff's too fucking good to ignore
Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Headbanger

#49 - Death - Mutilation

I remember the 1st time my friend played Death for me. He threw the Leprosy album on and went right to Open Casket. I didn't get it. Then he played Pull The Plug and it started to sink in but I wasn't sure I could ever get used to the vocals. He then said this is probably more up your alley and threw Scream Bloody Gore on. Um... understatement of the century.

Every song was blistering fast and I was jamming out immediately. By the time Mutilation came on I was hooked. I loved the song so much I made him play it over again. Even after all these years that song still gets my blood flowing. As much as I like the later prog Death albums Scream Bloody Gore will always be my favorite. Spoiler Alert: This is my 2nd favorite track off of that incredible album.

#49 - Death - Mutilation

The reissue with Bonus Tracks is a must purchase by the way.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
that Chemikill song's really good, vocals are kinda meh but the riff's too fucking good to ignore
Totally agree. Vocally he was always going for a Ron Rinehart from later Dark Angel and couldn't quite pull it off. That main riff as simplistic as it is, is still money to me. I love how it ties back in after the thrash part at 1:01
Old 09-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Mutilation's a fun tune, but the fact that it has the same intro as Scream Bloody Gore bugs me a little.