Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Heh. Metallica only played 2 from ...And Justice.

I GOT 4

INCLUDING DYER'S FUCKING EVE

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11583
Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Heh. Metallica only played 2 from ...And Justice.

I GOT 4

INCLUDING DYER'S FUCKING EVE

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11583
I've seen Dyers Eve, Trapped Under Ice, Metal Militia, Jump In The Fire, Phantom Lord, Fight Fire With Fire, Whiplash, and more...all from shows from 2004-2009. Top that fucker.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
I've seen Dyers Eve, Trapped Under Ice, Metal Militia, Jump In The Fire, Phantom Lord, Fight Fire With Fire, Whiplash, and more...all from shows from 2004-2009. Top that fucker.
Ok. You win.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 PM
N00B

i left this early to catch Japandroids in downtown NYC. I was nervous about what i'd miss towards the end of Metallica's set, but they basically played nothing interesting or surprising all night except Orion. Pissed I missed Overkill, but it WAS pretty sloppy from what i watched, so whatever. I had hoped Metallica would stick with the heavier setlists like on some of their Big Four shows in Europe this summer, but instead they went the safe route since so many people at this show weren't metalheads. remember, Metallica is the go-to band for millions of people who otherwise hate anything remotely metal. I'm not even gonna think about how many people got into this for free through corporate suites ( did get my ticket through my wife's corparation haha), yankee execs, etc.

I dont understand why Anthrax couldnt get another 20 minutes, or why they couldnt drop ONE of their cover songs for something a little more are from that era, but i get it...this show was all about pleasing the lowest common denominator, not making big metalheads happy. ho hum.
Slipknot 12/6
Russian Circles,Mutoid Man 12/11
ETID,Architects 12/13
Old 09-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Looks to me like everyone who was there except the ones in the front of the field got completely ripped off. Seriously? $100 to sit there? You can barely tell there's a band onstage.
This X 1000! My buddy posted a video of his $200 seats and it looked like it was 2 miles away. So glad I didn't put out that much cash for those setlists and that view.
12/10 - Chevelle
Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
2) The headliner having an ego. In this case, the only reason these shows are this big, is Metallica, and I would lay wager they said in no uncertain terms that its only happening if they headline and get the biggest timeslot.
What? This is complete BS.
Don't you think this benefits Metallica as much as the other bands?
Sure, the Other "3" play venues they otherwise wouldn't get to play, but it also gets Metallica looking "cool" again, albeit only somewhat, in the eyes of the underground scene.

I really don't think Metallica said, "Anthrax and Megadeth can ONLY have X number of songs in their setlists"

There are MANY other people (promoters, organizers, managers, etc) who work out the logistics which ultimately determine set length times.

To think Metallica themselves had anything to do in declaring the set length times proves you know very little about how putting on a show really works, which is fine. Just have to call this out as completely erroneous.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Nah. I don't care how overplayed Mandatory Suicide is, Dead Skin Mask is a snooze.
This man speaks the truth
11/14 - Slayer
Old 09-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonic View Post
What? This is complete BS.
Don't you think this benefits Metallica as much as the other bands?
Sure, the Other "3" play venues they otherwise wouldn't get to play, but it also gets Metallica looking "cool" again, albeit only somewhat, in the eyes of the underground scene.
I agree with everything else you said but this. This does nothing to benefit Metallica, for them this is just something cool to do that the fans wanna see happen. Why on earth would Metallica care about looking cool in the underground scene again? They haven't been part of that in 25 years. When they opened for Ozzy back when MOP came out and that album went gold they were no longer an underground thing. Then Justice came out and they got even more popular and we all know what happened after that.

There's no way a band as famous and rich as Metallica has become give a shit what the underground scene thinks of them at this point in their careers. The other three bands benefit more but even without all the big four stuff Megadeth and Slayer would still be doing all right for themselves. They'll gain some new fans out of this and probably welcome back some old ones but it's not like either of them were hurting or having a hard time getting people to come and see them.

Anthrax will be the band who benefits the most from this. After the whole "who's the singer?" debacle they've had over the last few years a lot of fans just stopped caring, myself included, and gave up on them thinking they were through. But now they've got Joey back which is what everyone has been waiting for and they got a very good new album to. The big four shows and the American Carnage tour was a great way to let everyone know that Joey is back with them and it's got people interested in them again and made them relevant for the first time in almost 20 years.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM
N00B

Not bad. I had a lot of fun at Despise You/Magrudergrind, though. Hehehe.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Regarding the question of Megadeth being put behind Slayer:

Quote:
Mr. Mustaine of Megadeth recently set aside some space in his autobiography, “Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir,” to address the issue of where his band fit in the Big Four order. He assured the reader that he was not offended by being put behind Slayer. But he added an interior monologue, italics his: “OK, we’ll play ahead of you guys on this trip, and God willing we’ll do it again sometime in the near future and we can flip things around...”
from the article in The New York Times

Tags
anthrax, megadeth, metallica, slayer