Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Old 08-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Pentagram -- Pittsburgh, PA -- August 26th, 2011

Well, where do I start? Awesome fucking show, to be upfront about things.

I got to Mr. Smalls late because, as usual, I got lost on the way there. I wasn't technically lost, but the route I was taking to Pittsburgh ended up being closed right near Pittsburgh, so I ended up going past the city, then through it, on a couple detours, in rush hour traffic. I eventually figured out where it was and made it to the venue. I didn't know anything about any of the bands except for Pentagram (of course) and Valient Thorr, who I really didn't care that much about, so I took my time once I got there. I missed Low Man, but the first band I saw, Molasses Barge, was pretty cool. I'm not sure where they're from, but they said they were playing a couple shows in Pittsburgh in the coming months, so they must not be too far.

Up next was Jeff and the Brotherhood. I'm not sure how big these guys are, but I feel like they have somewhat of a following. I had never heard of them, but they impressed me to a certain extent. The band consisted of two dudes, a singer/guitarist, and a drummer. The drummer was excellent. Very skilled, and minimalistic, which was cool. The guitarist also had some pretty tasty, doom-laden riffs, but I'm not too sure how I felt about his vocals. Part of me wanted to like them alot, but the other part of me felt like a hipster...

Same goes for the next band...

Valient Thorr. I remember when these guys first got their break, a couple years ago, around Warped Tour time. I never really cared enough to check them out, and I just missed them at the Mastodon show last year. To be honest, I probably wouldn't like to listen to their studio work that much, but I have to say it. They were fucking awesome live. These guys were the definition of 'having fun on stage'. The songs were fun, and they seemed like they were having fun. When the singer jumped into the crowd and got everyone to do the viking ship row thing, it was funny as hell. I definitely won't mind seeing these guys again in the future. Hell, I might even check out their music.

Up next, at 10:30, was the almighty Gods of Doom that most of the audience had come to see...PENTAGRAM. I knew that this was going to be an awesome show, but I wasn't sure as to what extent. Holy shit, was I surprised. When they first started, I thought Bobby looked lifeless and wasn't into it, but as the set went on, he looked as if he were having more and more fun. The set was great, I'm not sure if it was as long as the other shows, but we did get the full three song encore. The Ghoul is definitely one of the heaviest things I've ever heard live. Ever. Bobby sounded great, although of course, the vocals were kind of blended in with the rest of the mix, and Vic Griffin was fucking awesome. Especially during When the Screams Come, when he soloed for minutes and minutes. Other highlights of the set would have to be Forever My Queen, Sign of the Wolf (Pentagram), Call the Man, and Evil Seed. Hell, the whole damn set was a highlight. I haven't left a show feeling as satisfied as I did tonight in a long time. I'm glad I got the chance to see these guys, and I hope to see them again in the future.

tl;dr - If you ever have the chance the see Pentagram, fucking do it.

Don't have the sets for any of the bands but Pentagram.

Pentagram:
Treat Me Right
Forever My Queen
Review Your Choices
Sign of the Wolf (Pentagram)
Evil Seed
All Your Sins
Call the Man
Relentless
Nothing Left
Relentless (Reprise?)
-----------------------
The Ghoul
Wartime
When the Screams Come
Old 08-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Pass the steak sauce

Hell yeah I saw this tour in Rochester, fucking awesome show. Didn't let out until 1:30 though, glad I was off the next day
10/20 - Iron Reagan
10/23 - Dead Congregation

Tags
pentagram, valient thorr