Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Trivium - In Waves Review

In the world of heavy metal, a certain stigma follows a lot of bands' fifth records tend to make some of the biggest waves in their career (Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Metallica - Metallica, Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction). In some cases, these records can propel the band into super-stardom, i.e. Metallica, or just prove to be a defining factor for the bands works, i.e. Iron Maiden. With In Waves, Trivium have reached this milestone in their career, however, I'm not so sure if this albums is making the right sort of waves for them.

From the off, Trivium have had an up and down career over the past decade, from the metalcore milestones Ember To Inferno and Ascendancy, to the Metallica-lite Crusade, to the behemoth that was Shogun, they seem to be setting up a habit of following a great record with a merely OK one at best, and unfortunately In Waves seems to only advocate this tradition.

The first two tracks, Capsizing The Sea, the customary intro track, and In Waves, do set up an epic live atmosphere, specially with the huge sounding mid-section in In Waves, but break very little new ground for the band, and leave you hoping the record improves on that, specially with the lack of solos. Next comes Inception Of The End, and this really makes you take notice. From the opening riff straight to the pre-chorus, this is the Trivium that everyone wants, big, chunky riffs, with great hooks and vocals. Then comes the chorus. The chorus, and mid-section, just feel like the band didn't try hard enough to think of something better, and really lets down the surrounding material, specially with, again, the lack of a proper solo. Unfortunately, this sets the tone for the most of the rest of the album.

Dusk Dismantled does definitely raise hopes, with a melodic black metal feel to it, some of it not sounding too unlike that of the likes of Behemoth. Finally with a proper bit of shredding in the solo, and a serious dose of the heavy stuff for the post solo riff. This is PRECISELY what I wanted to hear from the band, and how quickly it is taken away.

Watch The World Burn and Black come next, and its a complete turn-around. The stench of radio rock off these is over-bearing, and harks back to the, shock horror, days of 'We Are The Fire', just makes you want to turn the record off and listen to Effigy Of The Forgotten to get your metal credentials back.

A Skyline's Severance saves the day for now, being the first song with just growled vocals, and its follow up being an atmospheric instrumental track, the tone has been set for, hopefully, a heavy second half. Then on comes Built To Fall, and you begin to wonder when Three Days Grace decided to write a song for them. Its not necessarily a bad song, but its not the sound anyone wants to hear from Trivium.

What comes next is even worse, the following pairing, Caustic Are The Ties That Bind and Forsake Not The Dream, doesn't sound like Trivium, no, it sounds like *gulp*, Bullet For My Valentine. It truly feels like a step down for Trivium, and a bitter disappointment for us fans.

With only five tracks left, there is little room to salvage the record, and they don't. From Drowning In Slow Motion to Chaos Reigns, there are some cool moments, but the record as a whole has been lost. The only saving grace is From All These Yesterdays, which feels new and fresh for the band, and is my favorite track, only problem is it feels like it should be longer. Then comes the outro Leaving This World Behind, and its over.

This record is disappointing at best. There are some cool moments, but they are too few and far between to save it from being a small disaster. It seems the band had some great ideas, but just didn't follow them through fully and went on auto-pilot, which is a crying shame, as they had some amazing potential.

When's the new Mastodon out again?

Standout tracks:
Dusk Dismantled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6-NrUZG_o&ob=av3e
Black - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-heu7KxL5PQ
Of All These Yesterdays - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ09BdYhoE8

This is one of my first proper reviews, so any constructive criticism is welcome. I hope you enjoyed it for what it is!

Last edited by Dextrimental; 08-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM
The best part of waking up, is Satan in your cup

I find Dusk Dismantled very boring
Old 08-21-2011, 03:43 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_to_the_face View Post
I find Dusk Dismantled very boring
I don't, I think its one of the best songs on the album if I'm honest.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
N00B

Didn't have any expectations for this album and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing earth-shattering, but definitely listenable, IMO.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Pursue happiness with diligence

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
welp

I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be, but a huge disappointment without a doubt. Trivium is one of my favorite bands and Shogun is one of my favorite albums, but they really went a step backwards with this one. It did grow on me though. At first I cringed listening to "Caustic", but now it's probably one of my favorites. And I have to agree on "Of All These Yesterdays", that song is fucking great.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:45 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be, but a huge disappointment without a doubt. Trivium is one of my favorite bands and Shogun is one of my favorite albums, but they really went a step backwards with this one. It did grow on me though. At first I cringed listening to "Caustic", but now it's probably one of my favorites. And I have to agree on "Of All These Yesterdays", that song is fucking great.
My biggest problem with 'Caustic' is the mid section sounds too much like the intro to 'Hearts Burst Into Fire', I really just though Trivium were better than that. I have no intention of not seeing them live and supporting them, but I just hope they improve from this record y'know?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
My biggest problem with 'Caustic' is the mid section sounds too much like the intro to 'Hearts Burst Into Fire', I really just though Trivium were better than that. I have no intention of not seeing them live and supporting them, but I just hope they improve from this record y'know?
Yeah. At least they keep it interesting, though. You never know what they'll do next. It's good to know that they have it in them to do some really awesome stuff.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM
N00B

Yeah seriously, "Of All These Yesterdays" has become one of my favorite Trivium songs... i just fucking love it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
N00B

I agree 100% with this review. If I were to review this album it probably would have been word for word. I felt like Three Days Grace or Theory of a Deadman came in for a week and wrote 8 or 9 songs for them. I think Drowning in Slow Motion is by far the best track, too bad it's a bonus track and a lot of people won't ever hear it. I think it's the closest thing to Shogun on this album. Other songs I like are:

-Capsizing the Sea: I like it a lot as an intro and concert opener, but I don't care for In Waves (the song) too much.
-Inception of the End and Dusk Dismantled are great heavy Trivium songs. I do agree that the chorus for Inception should have been changed.
-Black, even though it has a radio vibe to it, the chorus riff is heavy.
-Chaos Reigns is fast as hell and has some Iced Earth type stutter riffs that are sick.

Overall I think the best three songs are all bonus songs: Drowning in Slow Motion, Shattering the Skies Above, and the Sepultura cover Slave New World. I hope their next album is more like Shogun, one of my favorite metal albums of all time.