Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
That's the best gif I've seen in weeks.

Oh, and:

Thought I'd have a little bit of fun since It's been a lot of fucking work making this list.

Will post the real #1 in seconds.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

I knew it was a troll post when I saw the part about Nile, Obituary, and Deicide having breakdowns
Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM

1.) WORMWOOD

Okay, 100% serious time now, people. Wormwood is the best deathcore record, ever. No if, and, or, buts about it. It is the best. It is perfect. I love it. You should love it. You should be asking to have this shit played as you walk up the aisle getting married, it’s that fucking good.

“We all come from broken homes/broken hearts and broken bones/we will live and die alone” kick off the first, absolutely crushing first riff of “Beast”. And it sets the theme for the album: pure fucking pessimism. This isn’t happy music, or deep music, or contemplative music, or positive music. Like my second favorite Acacia record before it, “The Dead Walk”, Acacia gives another absolutely bleak message about their views on the world and humanity, which transfer directly into the songwriting. They are, without a doubt, the angriest band I know of. And that is the essence of deathcore. That is deathcore perfection. It combines the best aspects of death metal and hardcore to create the one of the angriest subgenres out there (Vegantopher will probably call me out and say powerviolence is… and he’s probably right in all actuality ). But back on topic: this record does "deathcore" better than any deathcore record I can think of.

This album literally has no bad songs. None. I don’t know where to start, trying to give a couple tracks that stick out the most. They’re all amazing in their own rights. Above all, they are catchy. I love being able to hear a song in an album listen, then while I’m doing something else later, the melody or verse will pop up in my head. The breakdowns are also fucking PERFECTION on this album. This is how you write heavy breakdowns in deathcore. They never get overly slow or obnoxious, like Whitechapel, and they don’t take precedence over the song to try and stand out, and therefore becoming incredibly generic, like Emmure. They are, for the most part, in tempo, and always complement the music/verse/chorus, rather than taking it over.

“Beast” starts it off, and is basically just a pure, 2-minute heavy-fest. “The Hills Have Eyes”, the second song, is one of my favorites, and combines everything I love about this album the most. Catchy and angry lyrics, heavy-as-Ununoctium breakdown and chorus, and an ending that makes me bang my head like a madman, it’s pure deathcore perfection. “Jonestown” is another amazing song, tackling the rather disturbing topic of the eponymous famous mass-suicide from the 1970’s. Again, what it has going for it (other than the smart songwriting), is that it’s catchy as hell. It eventually builds up into an epic breakdown/everyone-scream-together chorus. “Bay of Pigs” is a near-perfect 5 minute heavy-fest. I still absolutely love how heavy it gets at 2:30, yelling out in a haunting build up, “Just because you’re breathing doesn’t mean you’re alive/just because you’re human doesn’t mean you have to die”. 3:15 then culminates into a riff so unbelievably epic that I always make a fool of myself headbanging every time I hear it. “The Impaler” probably has one of the best opening riffs ever to it, screaming out a verse over it that is so sing-alongable that I can’t even put it into words. It then goes into one of the most violent-sounding chorus riffs I’ve ever heard, and I don’t mind one bit that it’s repeated over and over. “Ramirez” is another epic, 2:30 slugfest that gets caught in my head every time. And its incredible live. "Tactical Nuke" finishes it off, a somewhat controversial 5:30 instrumental song. It took me a little while to appreciate it, but I absolutely love it now. It's basically one incredibly simple, yet heavy breakdown, and every couple measures its slowed down by a couple BPM, until it reaches the point where it feels as if every fiber of planet earth itself is shutting down. I commend them for having the balls to put something like that in the album; it really wraps up every heavy element in the album perfectly.

There are just way, WAAAY to many epic scream-along parts in this album that I need to list a couple. I love it with every fiber of my –core loving self.

WE DESTROY THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND/WE ARE THE REASON THERE IS BLOOD ON THE GROUND

I AM THE WHITE HORSE DEATH RODE IN ON/I DROVE THE FIRST NAIL INTO THE CROSS/WE ARE ALL THE ANTICHRIST

HAIL MARY, THE VIRGIN WHORE/I CAN’T FUCKING TAKE THIS ANY MORE/HAIL MARY WITH THE BROKEN FACE/YOU NAME THE TIME I’LL NAME THE PLACE

I AM THE ONE WHO WILL BRING HELL UPON YOU ALL
I’LL STAND AT THE GATES AND WATCH YOUR KINGDOM FALL
ASHES TO ASHES, AND DUST INTO DUST
THIS WORLD IS A GRAVEYARD
I DON’T GIVE A FUCK

Notable Tracks:
Jonestown
Bay of Pigs
Ramirez
The Impaler

P.S. Discussion: COMMENCE! What do you guys think of this album? Do you agree that this is the best deathcore record, ever? Did I leave anything out that you would have included? Do you want me drawn and quartered and my stinking parts fed to the crows? Or have I converted you to be a deathcore moshbro??? Will you slam to Oceano at next Summer Slaughter?!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
welp

Hmm, I've never been a fan of these guys and what they stand for, but the stuff on here sounds better than the stuff I've heard before.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Buahahahahaha

If you ask me, Alliegance by As Blood Runs Black is the best Deathcore record out there. That one stuck with me for a while. There's some cool melodic stuff and impressive drum work, but the breakdowns make it gay.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

thank god this thread is over

*closes it down*
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
I know the songs you're singing saying nothing loud and clear I've heard that song a thousand times

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
If you ask me, Alliegance by As Blood Runs Black is the best Deathcore record out there. That one stuck with me for a while. There's some cool melodic stuff and impressive drum work, but the breakdowns make it gay.
I agree, but the breakdowns are what make it great as well. This list is ok but it is also missing Despised Icon, Job for a Cowboy, and Animosity.
7/24 - NIN/Soundgarden
8/28 - Linkin Park
Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
thank god this thread is over

*closes it down*
You would never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Probably one of the most generic, forgettable deathcore releases in my opinion. Same with the Doom EP by JFAC; hence the reasons I didn't include it. The kids had the chops back then to write good deathcore, but they didn't have the songwriting talent to pull it all together. JFAC fixed that promptly, but went down the death metal path. They're really solid nowadays, and I love Ruination a ton, but it's simply not deathcore anymore.

Think in the next week or so, I'll post some albums that were contenders on this list, and what I think of them. If anyone is interested.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
P.S. Discussion: COMMENCE! What do you guys think of this album?
I actually enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure if I like it more than The Dead Walk though.

Quote:
Do you agree that this is the best deathcore record, ever?
No.

Quote:
Did I leave anything out that you would have included?
Animosity - Animal
Despised Icon - The Healing Process
Molotov Solution - Molotov Solution
The Red Shore - Unconsecrated
Underneath the Gun - The Awakening

Quote:
Will you slam to Oceano at next Summer Slaughter?!
I think you're more likely to do that.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Probably one of the most generic, forgettable deathcore releases in my opinion. Same with the Doom EP by JFAC; hence the reasons I didn't include it. The kids had the chops back then to write good deathcore, but they didn't have the songwriting talent to pull it all together. JFAC fixed that promptly, but went down the death metal path. They're really solid nowadays, and I love Ruination a ton, but it's simply not deathcore anymore.
That's kind of funny, because Alliegance and Doom are the only two Deathcore realeases I like. I think I like Doom so much because it's cool tech-Deathcore with all the noise and nonsense of the genre, but without the all that one-note, chugga breakdown shit.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND