Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014
Arch Enemy -- Baltimore, MD -- October 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

5.) EXOPLANET

This band is absolutely incredible, and they are the future of deathcore. One of my favorite releases in the past couple years, Exoplanet is an album I think every metal fan should at least give a chance.

First of all, how do you classify The Contortionist based on this album? It's a little tricky: they display a lot of progressive elements, a lot of soft singing, a lot of djenty riffs, a lot of atmospheric tones, yet maintain breakdowns througout. It's an interesting mix of deathcore, unlike any band out there, but deathcore nonetheless. And it's definitely not Sumeriancore, due primarily to the differences in their breakdowns: they're slower, and more akin to the traditional deathcore scene, rather than fast and Meshuggah-inspired.

But despite those breakdowns, this album displays an incredible range of emotions just not prevelant in any other deathcore release. Take my favorite song from it, "Flourish": from 2:25 until about 4:50, you have a very heartfeldt build up, starting with clean, atmospheric tones into a simple-yet-catchy and deep solo, culminating into a wall of sound that engulf the listener and immerses you, not unlike most prog metal. When the Contortionist get soft, and they do clean vocals (which are fantastic- think of it as The Faceless' cleans on steroids), they display their true talent. The opening of the song "Contact" is very similar, another gem from the album. I highly, HIGHLY recommend for everyone to give "Contact" and "Flourish" a listen. This just might be the deathcore you can deal with if you hate the traditional stereotypes.

When they get heavy, though, it's also great. Most breakdowns are more than single-note chugfests, incorporating odd time signatures and catchy riffs. The single note-chugfests are there, though, and that tends to be what turns off most "troo" metal listeners from loving them. They're first album was standard deathcore, and with Exoplanet, they evolved exponentially into their own niche of the genre. I feel that it's only a matter of time until they evolve completely from deathcore, ditching all of their breakdowns for a more prog/sumeriancore feel, which I would welcome with open arms.

Until then, this album stands out as the bastard cousin of deathcore that's trying to actually move the genre somewhere. Screw Acacia, Whitechapel, and Suicide Silence- the Contortionist don't conform to deathcore standards. It's evolving the genre into a different beast entirely, and only time will tell what fascinating new music we'll get from this band and their contemporaries, and even if we can call the genre "deathcore" still 5 years from now. My prediction is a resounding "no"... but we'll get something incredible in its place.

Notable Tracks (4 here, but they're so good I recommend giving each a try):
Contact
Flourish
Vessel
Primal Directive

Last edited by jd091; 08-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM
welp

Hmm, they're opening for Periphery in October. I should probably give them a listen.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

>O<
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Did I just see the phrase "future & deathcore " in the same sentence. Someone make my eyes stop burning.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Hmm, they're opening for Periphery in October. I should probably give them a listen.
Yeah, I might skip class to try and catch that show. All the bands are great on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
>O<
Now you're just making shit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Did I just see the phrase "future & deathcore " in the same sentence. Someone make my eyes stop burning.
Every genre has a "future", man, I don't see why you're getting your panties in a bunch.

Last edited by jd091; 08-16-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Ehh, they're okay. Not gay like Whitechapel or those sorta bands, but still gay in their own way They're just not really my bag
Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
That Guy

Lulz, you said The Contortionist is Deathcore.

The Contortionist is like 25% Deathcore, 75% Progressive Metal.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Lulz, you said The Contortionist is Deathcore.

The Contortionist is like 25% Deathcore, 75% Progressive Metal.
Given them a spin at all lately? I think you forget how many breakdowns are in there. Still deathcore.

...and you haven't actually admitted to liking a band on this list yet, especially with that elusive wording there.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

At least you finally posted an album that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. I've tried listening to them before though and couldn't get into it.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Given them a spin at all lately? I think you forget how many breakdowns are in there. Still deathcore.

...and you haven't actually admitted to liking a band on this list yet, especially with that elusive wording there.
The Contortionist (Along with All Shall Perish) are the only bands I like that people can use the term Deathcore on me, and I will still love.

I actually just spinned this about an hour ago because I'm picking out a song for my next radio show and I want them on there. I'll probably play Flourish since that song is what got me into the band.

Early Contortionist, absolutely shitty Deathcore, Exoplanet, Progressive Metal with some Deathcore.