Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 AM
One who onions things

High On Fire -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 11th, 2011

So thanks to a last minute offer to crash at a friend's place after the show, I was able to go to this ridiculously awesome event. I arrived at the show with my friends, Death is this Communion LP cover and sharpie in hand determined to meet the dudes. So we arrive at the Catalyst, which hilariously enough, had Snoop Dogg playing upstairs that night. We run into Jeff and Des literally as soon as we get there. Des signs my record and runs off for a smoke without a word, while Jeff stays and talks for a bit. Turns out the guy is marrying my metalhead boss' sister (long story), which made for an hilarious conversation starter. Jeff was super nice and fun to talk to, and I don't think this will be the last time I converse with him While I was finishing talking to Jeff and heading to my friends, they found Matt hanging in front of Streetlight Records. Me in my total fanboyness literally sprinted to him looking like a total fool. Dude signed my record without me even having to ask, and the four of us proceeded to just talk about Sleep, playing in the Bay Area, community college guitar courses and his 18 year old daughter of all things (who he ordered me to stay away from upon learning that I was the same age hahaha). While I felt bad about my fanboy freakout, some guy went up to him and may as well have made out with him he was that obsessed. He gave him a blank sheet of paper to sign and told him and I quote "Mr. Pike, my name is yadda yadda and you are my favorite musician ever. Will you please sign this meager sheet of paper?" Now that was whatever, fans get all startstruck right? Then the guy shook Matt's hand, but didn't let go. Never before have I seen that combination of WTF, confusion and fear in Matt Pike's face before. After he literally yanked his hand away, he quickly said he was getting dinner, then scurried away.

So we get into the venue, a side stage of the Catalyst called the Atrium, a tiny bar area with a small stage, and witness the first couple of bands. First off was Catacomb Creeps. They were dressed in masks and corpse paint, and played some kind of post-black-doom metal that didn't really click with me. Their singer progressively took off more and more articles of clothing and gave randomass rants ranging from not having free speech to children getting too much attention from the world. Yeah, I don't know either. The next band, Dusted Angel, tore the fucking roof off. Holy shit, they gave one of the best performances I have seen all year, and I went in knowing none of their stuff. Their singer sounded like a deeper, gnarlier version of John Garcia, and the songs sounded like a sludgier version of Clutch. Every song was absolutely killer, and even their "new jam, not a song yet, but a jam" ripped. I am absolutely keeping an eye on these guys for their next few shows and records.

Now for the best part, HIGH ON FUCKING FIRE. This was hands down, the best performance I have seen from them, and this was my 4th time seeing them, and my 2nd time on a headlining show. At first I thought I was getting a shuffle of the setlist they had in SF last February, but nope, they went and PULVERIZED IT. Matt looked way happier at this show than at the one in SF, talked to the audience a good deal and dude even rocked a big shiteating grin as he unleashed the riff to Fire Flood and Plague. Des propelled the band as always, and Jeff was totally locked in, giving another top notch performance as he did in SF. In what was about as unexpected as it gets, the guys busted out The Face of Oblivion! As soon as Matt announced the song, the band and the crowd were quiet for a quick second.

During which I shouted, "HOLY FUCK, WHAT THE HELL?!" (Tapers must hate me haha)

Snakes for the Divine was slowed down as expected, and the parts where Matt would sing during the verses were actually slowed down so much that they became massively heavier. Simply put, the entire performance was first rate. I don't think I've ever heard Matt give as good a vocal performance as he did that night. Every word was clear, there was no mushmouth, and he held notes for a surprisingly long time. Imagine the vocals on the Snakes For the Divine studio album, but applied to every song. It was beyond awesome to say the least. Also, the sound at this venue was surprisingly wonderful. No matter where you were, every instrument was perfectly clear, while still being loud as hell.

1. Blood From Zion
2. Frost Hammer
3. Waste of Tiamat
4. Devilution
5. Fire, Flood and Plague
6. Speedwolf
7. Hung Drawn and Quartered
8. Rumors of War
9. The Face of Oblivion
10. Fury Whip
11. Fireface
12. Snakes for the Divine

And thus I now declare myself a magic High On Fire setlist charm. Wherever I go, High On Fire play jizzworthy setlists.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

That's a good HoF set. I would love to see them again soon.I would love more to hear the slowed down version of Snakes for the Divine. That definitely sounds appealing.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantopher View Post
That's a good HoF set. I would love to see them again soon.I would love more to hear the slowed down version of Snakes for the Divine. That definitely sounds appealing.
The slowed down Snakes For the Divine is so to allow Matt to get the opening riff right. The way slower verses are to make it easier for him to sing and play guitar at the same time I'm guessing. Don't get too excited though, apart from the verses, the song isn't effected too much.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
6. Speedwolf
9. The Face of Oblivion
11. Fireface
you

lucky

cunt
Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
1. Blood From Zion
2. Frost Hammer
3. Waste of Tiamat
4. Devilution
6. Speedwolf
8. Rumors of War
9. The Face of Oblivion
10. Fury Whip
11. Fireface
I saw the following set a few years back in Columbus:

Frost Hammer
Devilution
How Dark We Pray
Hung, Drawn & Quartered
Rumors of War
The Yeti
Fire, Flood & Plague
Fireface / Cometh Down Hessian
Blood from Zion
Fury Whip (bitches)
Snakes for the Divine

So, it seems like they're basically playing the same stuff they have been for a while now. You got "...Oblivion", which is awesome, and I got the monster which was "Fireface" and "...Hessian" mashed together, which is also fucking gnarly. I didn't get "Speedwolf" that time, but I've seen 'em do it before. They still seem to enjoy closing the set with "Snakes...", which I also remember as being off-the-fucking-chain sweet.

Anyways, glad you had fun. These fuckers are one of the best bands out there, period. To think that they actually have a few haters on this forum - and I'm not naming names, but one of our most famous members is among them - just boggles my fucking mind.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:44 AM
N00B

Let me know the day the decide to play 10,000 Years.
Fleetwood Mac
New Found Glory
Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 AM
PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
you

lucky

cunt
Yup, I would have to agree with this statement. I have been waiting for FUCKING YEARS to hear Speedwolf live. The main riff is my favorite riff in all of metal. They better bring that set to Cleveland ASAP.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Great review!

Snoop Dogg upstairs, HoF downstairs... what was this, Gathering of the Stoners 2011?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Fragments of a sunbeam glaring on a kitchen knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I saw the following set a few years back in Columbus:

1. Blood From Zion
2. Frost Hammer
3. Waste of Tiamat
4. Devilution
6. Speedwolf
8. Rumors of War
9. The Face of Oblivion
10. Fury Whip
11. Fireface

Frost Hammer
Devilution
How Dark We Pray
Hung, Drawn & Quartered
Rumors of War
The Yeti
Fire, Flood & Plague
Fireface / Cometh Down Hessian
Blood from Zion
Fury Whip (bitches)
Snakes for the Divine
Both awesome sets, but I'd have to take the first one over the second by a bit just cuz of Tiamat
Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Snoop Dogg upstairs, HoF downstairs... what was this, Gathering of the Stoners 2011?
Probably

Tags
catacomb creeps, dusted angel, high on fire