Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Power of the Riff -- Echo Park, CA -- August 13th, 2011

This is my second attempt at writing this review. The show was at the Echoplex/Echo in Echo Park. I really enjoyed last year's festival, so when I found out about this year, I wasn't as excited. The fact that we had to pay this year made me not want to go. It was a free festival last year. When they anounced Eyehategod was on the bill, I said fuck it and bought a ticket.

The doors opened up at 12pm and the first band went on at 12:30. The first band was Plagues. I really wanted to see them, but I was too busy sleeping, so I missed their set. I don't like festivals because I get tired of being at a show when I'm there for more than four or five hours. I arrived at the show at 3:45 to see that Acephalix was on. I watched their set for a few songs and really dug it. I went and bought a POTR shirt for $10 and threw it in my car so I wouldn't have to hold it all night. I got back to the Echo at 4:30 so I could see Baptists, but wasn't back in time to see their set. I was only able to see one song, but that song was so awesome!

At this point, it was a little after 4:30 and I decided it was time to open my tab for the night at the bar downstairs. When I went downstairs, I noticed that Black Cobra was on. I quickly grabbed a drink and went over to watch them. They sounded awesome for only having two people in the band. I don't know their music, so I lost my interest after 15 minutes. I went outside for a quick smoke break before the next set of bands went on. All Pigs Must Die went on at 5:15 and were great! There wasn't a lot of crowd movement, but the band was spot on. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these guys again. They were suppose to play a 45 minutes set, but ended up only playing for 25 minutes.

As soon as they ended, I went upstairs to see Masakari start their set. Holy shit! Masakari was awesome live. They are a crust band from somewhere in the midwest. At this point, I wasn't sure if I was buzzed or what, but the vocals were just so powerful. I have always been big on how the sound. It felt as if the screams were dominating the rest of the bands sound and I just felt consumed by it. I can't really explain it to well, it was just epic.

Trap Them was up next downstairs, so everyone walked from one room to the next to see TT. I am not to big on Trap Them, and they disappointed me last year when I saw them. I watched on song and was bored, so I decided it was a good chance to grab some food. I got back before Trap Them ended and was still bored by their set, so I went upstairs to find out that Alpinists were already on. They're a fast crust band from Germany. I think they were the only band that was from another country. They are definitely a band that people on here need to check out and support so that they can come back for another US tour one day. Pelican was playing downstairs, so I went outside for a smoke break cause I don't like Pelican. I looked at my phone and noticed Sep hit me up a minute before, so I called to meet up but his phone was already dead I was just waiting for Black Breath to go on upstairs then. I watched half of BB's set for some reason. I think all that rum I was drinking finally got to me I just wondered away to maybe find Sep, but I had no luck. I went back to see a little more of BB. I recognized a lot of songs, but only knew they played Black Sin.

At this point it was 8:15 and Winter was setting up downstairs. I decided to have just one last drink and close my tab out before I was crawling on the floor. I found my friend and went up front to get a good spot right in front of John Alman. I noticed people were kind of dead for the fact that Winter was about to play in a few minutes. I screamed out Winter and John looked up and smiled in appreciation, then a few more people around me chimed in. Winter went on ten minutes late, but I didn't care. The second they began Oppression Freedom, everyone was head banging like there was no tomorrow. They went right into Servants of the Warsmen right after and I was surprised on how many people were singing along. I know that was their biggest song, but it was cool that there was an actual following showing its love for Winter at that moment. I was very happy when they played Destiny. That is currently my favorite song by them. I soon realized that they were playing Into Darkness in its entirety from start to finish as their set That is probably the coolest thing a band like them could do. They played no new songs nor so lame cover. It was the perfect set.

Oppression Freedom
Servants of the Warsmen
Godon
Power and Might
Destiny
Eternal Frost
Into Darkness

Eyehategod was up next and I knew shit was about to go down! I was directly in front of Jimmy for most of the set. A lot of people around me were yelling Bower Power over and over while he was setting up. Mike was drunk as usual. I went to the bar an hour or so early and Mike was trying to get a some vodka and the bartender wouldn't let him drink more cause he was too drunk How dare she refuse him alcohol. EHG went on 15 minutes late and weren't able to play a full hour because the sound guy cut them. They got pissed off because they were ready to go on at the right time, the sound guy just delayed it for some reason. They sounded so great last night. I'll never get over how awesome Mike's vocals sound. For some reason they put an echo effect on his vocals, so it sounded kind of weird, but I dug it for the most part. They played a new song called NOLA is the New Vietnam. I dug the shit out of that song. I can't wait to hear a new album from them because they definitely still have it in them. I knew all the songs they played, there were just three that I couldn't remember the names of at the time.

Blank
Shoplift
Jackass in the Will of God
30$ Bag
White Nigger
Left to Starve
Dixie Whiskey
Sister Fucker
NOLA is the New Vietnam
Masters of Legalized Confusion
Serving Time in the Middle of Nowhere
My Name is God
Peace Through War

At this point I went home. I really didn't care about Pentagram enough to see them. My friend needed to get home cause he had to be up early this morning. I was already tired from being at the show for seven hours, so leaving sounded great. As I walked out, we ran into some guy who was pissed off cause he came only to see EHG and was kicked out 15 minutes into their set. He said that some drunk girl behind him kept punching him in the back for a few minutes, so he get annoyed and pushed her away from him. Security grabbed him and threw him out because they thought he was trying to attack the girl. I thought that was kind of a bullshit thing for security to do.

Overall, it was a great day! I can't wait for next years POTR and hopefully meeting Sep one day soon
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots

Last edited by christopher; 08-15-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Absolute shit cutting EHG by 15 mins. And who the hell cuts off Mike when a good % of his blood is alcohol/other at this point anyway? When I saw them I have never seen a lead singer so drunk but they are a hell of a fun show. I need to see them again. I have heard good stuff about their new song, haven't got to hear it yet. Hopefully this year/early next year will finally be time for a new EHG album.

Just guessing opening might have been Blank/Shoplift since I know they usually do the 2 together. Just a guess however.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Pass the steak sauce

Can't believe you left before Pentagram...... but regardless, I'm jealous of you seeing Eyehategod. I can't wait until I get the chance to see them again, their pits are pure violence
8/31 - Cre/Cooper
10/18 - Immolation/Nunslaughter
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

>You didn't like Trap Them live
>You didn't like Pelican

COME ON, BRO!

Good review though, as always. I need to see APMD live someday. An APMD/Trap Them/Masakari tour would be fucking incredible.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
>You didn't like Trap Them live
>You didn't like Pelican

COME ON, BRO!

Good review though, as always. I need to see APMD live someday. An APMD/Trap Them/Masakari tour would be fucking incredible.
I enjoy Darker Handcraft, but I somehow get bored easily when I see TT. I saw TT in 2009 with Toxic Holocaust/BDM/Skeletonwitch and I thought they were very awesome at that show. Then I saw them last summer and got bored. I know I should give them another chance at some point, but I was really hungry and that was the only big enough gap to go grab some food haha.

I don't like instrumental bands. I could never get into Pelican for that reason. I need to have vocals to enjoy a band. I don't mind when a band like Metallica will have instrumental songs, or a band like Corrupted will have drawn out riffs with vocals every 10 or 15 minutes.

Oh I saw Andrew Metalhead there, he was taking pictures of Winter. I wonder where he's been lately.
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots
Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

RANT STARTS IN T-MINUS

"ALRIGHTY THEN" - Ace ventura pet detective

I started work at 9am and was to end around 6ish but my boss let me off around 4:15pm(it took a good amount of begging but it worked)!! W00t w00t

Still...it doesn't change the fact that I missed a good portion of the show : /

I dashed back home to take the shower power, change out of my work attire and dash it like speedy gonzalez to the Echo/echoplex. It was smooth sailing up untill I got to the fucking 101

I finally arrived to the echoplex around 6:30ish and went on my journey to finD free parking. Luckily I parked in a nice little neighborhood which was about 1 minute away from the venue. at this point it was about 6:50ish. I called the one they call....The Vegantopher AKA Chris. And whadda ya know? My phone is now on zero batterys and is going to die any second now. Bad enough I missed out on half the show but it sucked that I wasn't going to be able to meet chris(especially because we have both been to many of the same shows. Scion rock fest, The Big Four, Rage/Muse, Napalm Death, ect). As a last minute chance I called his phone. Sadly, no answer and about 2 seconds later my phones power dies out. So that's when I threw the celly in the car and Booked it to the echoplex.

As soon as I get inside the venue. About 2 and half minutes later PELICAN gets on stage and start setting their shit up. They open up the show with THE CREEPER and that's when all the fun begins.. Long story short they fucking blew my mind away. You could say I was getting some sort of "high" from their set(even though I was sober as a duck at this show). I was also the only person jumping up and down, headbanging and going nuts through out their incredibly short yet amazing set. Some people were looking at me in way like I shouldn't be behaving like the way I was, but fuck it, I came to go all out and have a great fucking time, and Pelican Really delivered. The son of the bitch next to me go there setlist. They only played about 6-7 songs unfortunately. ahahahhaha when they finished I kept screaming "MORE!!! ENCORE!!! PLAY ANOTHER 30 SONGS!!!"

I did manage to snatch a cold ice water bottle on the edge of their stage fo FREE, SUCKAS

After pelican finished. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to possibly find the one they call....The Vegantopher. I remmeber his pic with the AC singer so I asked a couple of people that might have looked like him, but to no avail :/

I even booked it to black breaths set to find him, but still no, results. And that's when I gave up and went downstairs to check out Winter. I've never really listened to their music and hearing them at PotR was my first listen, they were pretty awesome. It just sucked I wasn't familiar with the group or I would have definitely been vibin' out like the way I usually do with all the bands I love

As soon as winter ended I went straight into the very front center rail to claim my spot for eyehategod. I saw andrew metal head there and said whats up but i kinda got a wierd awkard vibe from him for some reason, i donno, Anyways, God damn...EYEHATEGOD.. they were fucking amazing. Best band in my opinon out the 4-5 bands that I got to see. They were heavy, loud, and COOL as fuck, and I DO MEAN COOL. I love how all the members were all smoking a cigarette while setting up and playing their set. I WAS RIGHT NEXT TO MIKE During the first couple of songs!!! And the singer was drunk as fuck, sluring through out most of his speeches. He was getting pissed during the beginning of the their set for some reason? Something about the lights or someshit? A great moment from the show for me:

Mike Williams: HEY CUT THAT DISTORTED SHIT OUT. WE DONT NEED THAT FOR OUR SHIT. CUT THE LIGHTS!! AND STOP WITH THAT PINK FLOYD SHIT!

ME: BUT I LOVE PINK FLOYD!!!!

Anyways. BACK TO THE BAND. As soon as they started, the Crowed went insane. I got alot of beer and liquor spilled in my hair but I didn't give fuck, I was going ballistics during all of EHG's set. They really brought their old albums to life, especially songs like "Sisterfucker"

After about 4 songs in, the front was getting too intense for me and I had absolutely no room to go crazy and jump around like I usually do for my favorite bands, so I said "FUCK IT" and went into the back left side of the venue where the amps are, near the emergency exit. It was pretty empty so it gave me the chance to go crazy for the rest of their set and BOY DID I. I hate to sound like a lil' kidoe but I was having so much fun for the rest of EHGs set. Way more then when I was in the very front next to mike for the first couple songs, but too many people were pissing me off and this stupid brawd behind me wouldnt stop elbowing me and pinching. Bitch just couldn't hang with the wu tang slang.

Anways. as veg' said, their set got cut off. Kind of a bummer. It was really weird. Everything stopped and then they went into a stupid little beastie boys hip hop tribute???? Pretty underwhelming way to end the set especially when they were kicking so much fucking ass.

@ Vegantopher. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but EHG did not play "Depress". I really wish they did but they didn't. I kept screaming "Depress" through out their set but they never played it. I wish they did. You should edit one of those question marks and add Masters of Legalized Confusion because they did play that aswell. If I recall..they played Masters of Legalized Confusion after New Orleans is the new vietnam. Mike even said the the title of the song before going into it.

After EHG finished I went outside for a break before MAWTHA FUCKING PENTAAAGRAAAAM starts, W00T W00T! LONG STORY SHORT, THEY WERE LOUD, HEAVY AS FUCK, AND KICKED MAJOR BALLZZ!!!!! Best band next to EHG. Infact I would say it was almost a tie. They were so fucking epic and heavy. Goddamn I hope Pentagram comes back. I didnt think i would have the energy but I did. If anything..I WAS EVEN MORE INTENSE AND GOING APESHIT DURING PENTAGRAMS set

Now here is the epicfail :/

Right after they finish what I would think to be their last song.. I book it out of the echoplex and dash to my car to go back to irvine as I had a good hour drive ahead of me. The band said their goodnights, we love you and all that bullshit so I figure this would be the perfect time for me to book it.

Not the case :/

Heres the setlist from last nights show

GODAMMIT!!! GODDAMMIT. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found out about this today...

Apparently they did do an encore and they played my favorite song by them, WARTIME!!!...I didn't want to believe it but it was true. There are even videos on youtube from the show with them doing the encores..... I couldn't believe it. I found this out a couple minutes before I started work today. long story short, I left to work in a really shitty fucking mood with a dark cloud over my head. damn I'm a fucking stooge :,(

OVERALL: GREAT FUCKING SHOW. Had a fucking blast. Baught a couple of shirts including an EHG shirt. Good times all in the good name of metal..Metall...METAL....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantopher View Post
Overall, it was a great day! I can't wait for next years POTR and hopefully meeting Sep one day soon
One day sunny boy, one day.

Quote:
Blank
?????
Jackass in the Will of God
30$ Bag
White Nigger
Left to Starve
Dixie Whiskey
Sister Fucker
NOLA is the New Vietnam
Masters of Legalized Confusion
?????
Peace Through War
Fixed
5/11 - Saint Vitus

Last edited by Sepultura69; 08-15-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Holy shit, Sep, that review... only you could write something like that!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Holy shit, Sep, that review... only you could write something like that!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

Holy Shit. That Pentagram set. Well, now I know I definitely can't skip out on them at the end of the month.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Great review Sep. I remember Mike saying Masters of Legalized Confusion but I wasn't paying attention the second he said it and forgot. I kept trying to remember what he said, but had no luck. Hmm that's weird it wasn't Depress. What was the song they played right before Peace Through War then? I was stuck between My Name is God and Depress cause it had the fast ass punk part that those two songs have. Idk, I was out of it and can't remember it clearly.
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots

Tags
eyehategod, pentagram, winter