Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 PM
Altars of Radness

I predict that the number one album will be Anata's The Conductor's Departure.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:58 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnataFan4Life View Post
[center]20. Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition
FUCK YEAH!!! As someone else mentioned, I'm always a bit hesitant to call DF tech death, but they definately do have aspects of it. And like you mentioned, they really a mix of so many death metal (and hardcore) subgenres. The opening of 'Praise The Lord...' is one of my favorite openers of all time!

Your post made me have to blast this album, which I have been for about a half hour. Pissing In The Mainstream is so GREAT. I agree with the lyrics so much, they're so true.

"I don't give a fuck about the TV ratings game,
The Real World's not a party, just a place for the insane.
If that reflects reality, then pass another drink
You try to be a millionaire, I'll vomit in the sink"

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 08-15-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

19. !T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment

Ah yes, the Czech Republic has brought us many strange and unique bands in the realm of extreme metal. !T.O.O.H.! may very well be one of, if not the strangest. The band's name alone should be enough to tell you that something about them will be different! Their music, well...it's pretty inimitable, to say the least. They take the signature deathgrind sound that the Czech Republic made so famous, and proceed to push the musical boundaries into realms not thought possible. Their brand of progressive, quirky, and extremely catchy technical deathgrind quickly drew my interest after I saw them being constantly recommended on underground metal forums.

First of all, the lyrics are not in English, so while I have absolutely no fucking idea what the hell they are singing about, I really can't care when the music is just this fucking GOOD. The vocals...dear god. It sounds like he has an extreme case of the rabies. It's one of the most insane sounding things i've ever heard. You can hear him just WRITHING with spit. The musicianship is impeccable. The guitarists send out barrages of winding, jarring, complex riffs and amazing solos throughout the entire album, yet it's oddly catchy and never comes across as being self indulgent. You can hear plenty of jazz influence in their guitarwork, especially in the solos. They even manage to fit a few clean guitar sections in between all of the insanity going on. The rhythm section is killing it here too. The basslines are a bit more audible than most bands of their ilk, but the real highlight of the rhythm section is the drumming. He has such a clean, fluid, tasteful style not seen often in this style of music that puts many of their peers to shame. Plenty of bizarre fills, and furious blasting. Did I mention these songs are CATCHY? These guys, while being extremely technical, know how to write a fucking song. While the sheer intensity and insanity is always up front, there is an underlying sense of melody that drives the songs. You'll even hear a few SING ALONG parts along the way.

In the end, this band definitely deserves attention from any fan of technical music in general. BTW, "Konec Kontinentalniho Kontejneru" has the most awesome way to end a song, ever. You'll see what I mean.

Examples:
Al Amin
Analyza Zahnedy
Konec Kontinentalniho Kontejneru
Abu Hassan
Kali
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 AM
Altars of Radness

Speaking of the Czech Republic... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF6AazbybME

Are they on your list too?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
Speaking of the Czech Republic... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF6AazbybME

Are they on your list too?
You will find out in due time
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Awesome list!

I've always loved tech death with a passion. Necrophagist wad the first real "death" metal band I got into, after my Metallica phase. Other than all the big names, though, I don't know a lot of these smaller bands, so hopefully you can help me out here. I'll definitely check these Czech dudes out.

And lemme guess: Anata #1? I'd pick the Conductor's Departure, followed closely by a #2 The Onset of Putrefaction.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Awesome list!

I've always loved tech death with a passion. Necrophagist wad the first real "death" metal band I got into, after my Metallica phase. Other than all the big names, though, I don't know a lot of these smaller bands, so hopefully you can help me out here. I'll definitely check these Czech dudes out.

And lemme guess: Anata #1? I'd pick the Conductor's Departure, followed closely by a #2 The Onset of Putrefaction.
The Onset of Putrefaction would totally have been a contender, had it not been released in 1999, which is one year away from my criteria =/

As for Anata, you'll have to wait and see...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:38 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
19. !T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment

Ah yes, the Czech Republic has brought us many strange and unique bands in the realm of extreme metal. !T.O.O.H.! may very well be one of, if not the strangest. The band's name alone should be enough to tell you that something about them will be different! Their music, well...it's pretty inimitable, to say the least. They take the signature deathgrind sound that the Czech Republic made so famous, and proceed to push the musical boundaries into realms not thought possible. Their brand of progressive, quirky, and extremely catchy technical deathgrind quickly drew my interest after I saw them being constantly recommended on underground metal forums.

First of all, the lyrics are not in English, so while I have absolutely no fucking idea what the hell they are singing about, I really can't care when the music is just this fucking GOOD. The vocals...dear god. It sounds like he has an extreme case of the rabies. It's one of the most insane sounding things i've ever heard. You can hear him just WRITHING with spit. The musicianship is impeccable. The guitarists send out barrages of winding, jarring, complex riffs and amazing solos throughout the entire album, yet it's oddly catchy and never comes across as being self indulgent. You can hear plenty of jazz influence in their guitarwork, especially in the solos. They even manage to fit a few clean guitar sections in between all of the insanity going on. The rhythm section is killing it here too. The basslines are a bit more audible than most bands of their ilk, but the real highlight of the rhythm section is the drumming. He has such a clean, fluid, tasteful style not seen often in this style of music that puts many of their peers to shame. Plenty of bizarre fills, and furious blasting. Did I mention these songs are CATCHY? These guys, while being extremely technical, know how to write a fucking song. While the sheer intensity and insanity is always up front, there is an underlying sense of melody that drives the songs. You'll even hear a few SING ALONG parts along the way.

In the end, this band definitely deserves attention from any fan of technical music in general. BTW, "Konec Kontinentalniho Kontejneru" has the most awesome way to end a song, ever. You'll see what I mean.

Examples:
Al Amin
Analyza Zahnedy
Konec Kontinentalniho Kontejneru
Abu Hassan
Kali

It's a bit disconcerting when I can tell that they're screaming in a different language though. With most albums, it doesn't bother me, as I wouldn't be able to understand if they were screaming in English or not anyway (example: the grind band Splitter). Still a really good album
Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
As for Anata, you'll have to wait and see...
Are you going to put their last three albums in your list? Really though, they are all worthy of being here. Anata =
Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 AM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

That fucking back-and-forth guitar riff from Downward Spiral into Madness might just be my favorite metal riff, ever. It's just orgasmic every time I hear it.