Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
^ sounds like the music Brad masturbates to.

Will check out, though. And Spotify loads much quicker and is more central and neater than YouTube!
Brad?

Oh really? Do you have any invites left? This seems like it warrants a try.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama lom View Post
Brad?

Oh really? Do you have any invites left? This seems like it warrants a try.
Brad, aka the mighty DETHMAIDEN.

And I haven' given out any invites yet; I'll see what I can find and let you know.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Meh.

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies

Well what can be said about this album? I think it's one of the best ones KSE has released, at least in the Howard Jones era. A lot of my favorite songs are on this album, and those that aren't my favorite are still pretty solid. There are some good riffs on here, and most of the songs are damn catchy. The fact is that this is a good combination of the melody that has made Killswitch famous nowadays, and there's still the metalcore aspect in the majority of this album. The breakdowns for the most part aren't the typical standalone breakdowns, and there's usually something else going on that keeps it from being stereotypical. The vocals are good, I don't know if they're Howard's best or worse, as I think he does a good job on each album he's worked on, but he keeps the ratio of screams to growls to clean vocals pretty well and I don't think he overuses any of them here (except on Arms of Sorrow, which is all clean until the very end). The drums can be pretty standard and simple at times, not really much special, but hey, it works. The only thing is that the bass is a bit inaudible (or at least it's hard to make out) at times. You can feel that it's there, you can tell, but you can't focus on it as much as you could say the guitars or drums.

This was the first Killswitch album that I listened to in it's entirety, and I'm glad. This is a very solid release from the band and is probably a staple in their later discography.

Favorite Tracks:
Daylight Dies, This is Absolution, For You, Desperate Times, Reject Yourself

Not related, but I apologize for these reviews/summaries, I feel like so much of it is vague that it's not really saying much.

Semi-related.

Last edited by llama lom; 08-15-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Naw, it's a good review. Although I like End of the Heartache about twice as much (and Jesse-era KSE is a different story), this was the first KSE record I ever bought, and it still fucking rocks. Some of those riffs are just killer.

Daylight Dies is still one of my favorite metalcore songs. Eye of the Storm is beastly, too.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Meh.

Quote:
Naw, it's a good review. Although I like End of the Heartache about twice as much (and Jesse-era KSE is a different story), this was the first KSE record I ever bought, and it still fucking rocks. Some of those riffs are just killer.

Daylight Dies is still one of my favorite metalcore songs. Eye of the Storm is beastly, too.
Eye of the Storm is definitely great, it's actually on right now.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Meh.

Sunn O))) - Black One

This is a favorite of mine mostly because of the amalgamation of drone and black metal. You can see this in almost all the tracks, either through the "riffing" or just because of the presence of Wrest or Malefic. Although Wrest only makes one appearance on this album (It Took the Night to Believe), it's worth listening to. He really gives it his all, and it sounds like it could have been released under the Leviathan name. Malefic makes many more appearances, not just on vocals, but also on guitar and keys. His best track (arguably) on this is Bathory Erzsebet, where the band went so far as to lock him in a casket to record vocals (Malefic is claustrophobic). This one track lacks the vocal distortion that is typical for his vocals which really changes things. Instead of the haunting style that is typical of Malefic, you can truly get the feeling that he's scared. It's so wonderful. The other tracks are "standard" Sunn tracks, full of prolonged chords and feedback. However, each has something special that makes it slightly different than a normal Sunn song, whether it be the vocals, slight drumming, or just a different style, and it truly makes this album more of an experimental effort than anything. There's also an Immortal cover (if you can call it that) in here that's worth checking out.

Favorite Tracks:
Cursed Realms (Of the Winterdemons), Cry for the Weeper, Bathory Erzsebet
Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Altars of Radness

Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I've tried to get into them before... and, uh... yeah... maybe I'm not stoned enough?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Meh.

Quote:
I've tried to get into them before... and, uh... yeah... maybe I'm not stoned enough?
You don't even have to be stoned (although that sounds like quite an experience). Try listening to them when you want to relax?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama lom View Post
You don't even have to be stoned (although that sounds like quite an experience). Try listening to them when you want to relax?
*large sigh* Okaaaaay. I'll give this album a legitimate chance later. Maybe I'll suddenly love it; I dunno.