...stop that right now
sorry sorry

i bet it's the cleansing
3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd091 View Post
Exactly. Don't expect Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, or After The Burial in this list, since I don't consider them deathcore.
Sumeriancore isn't a real thing. It's just deathcore that's more complex.

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Happy birthday, darling. We love you very very very very very very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Technical deathcore?

3/15 Gogol Bordello
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM
rolling critical success on casting a level 7 stagedive

9.) THE CLEANSING

BrutalDescent knows me too well. Or maybe I gave it away with the No Pity reference? Here is why I like this band, so you guys can get a glimpse inside my mind.

This album kind of epitomizes what I loved about deathcore, and still do- it's short, it's fast, it's low, and it's heavy. No real technicality or solos, no nice pampered production. Suicide Silence is probably the best deathcore band out there to create a punk-like atmosphere: they grab their instruments, and literally bang the shit out of them for 3 minutes, where the only goal in mind is to create as much dissonant noise as possible. Kind of what drew me to bands like Converge in the first place, but that's a whole different spectrum of "heavy" and "dissonant".

The production is what I love every time about this, too. It's not clean cut, technical death metal or metalcore. It's dirty. Almost sludge-like. They are just turning every knob up to 10, banging on the lowest string, and the result is muddy as fuck. The breakdowns are simple, and easy to listen to. It really helped change my musical opinions in 2007. I loved that pure heaviness and groove behind them. I still think they're very "metal" for the deathcore scene. Other than thin, tattooed Mitch Lucker (who hasn't even given into the scene-ness of gauges, thank Jesus), the rest of the band look like greasy, beta metalheads. No scene appeal whatsoever. It kind of epitomizes the mentality on this album, too: they don't give a fuck what people think of it, or how they will analyze it, or how they will receive their image. I don't think they've truly come to grips with the scene fans they have, anyway (Mitch always calls for people to circle pit and mosh at their shows as opposed to slamming). Their one mission is to create dirty, heavy songs filled with blastbeats and breakdowns, a feat which they achieved marvelously in my mind.

Of course, this album isn't without its flaws- you can tell it was poorly produced and written. Many of the songs drag on too long, and what should have been an 8 or 9 song slugfest turned into a 13 song snooze-fest. I rarely ever listen to the album beyond track 8, "Bludgeoned to Death". But the gems that stand out to me- "Unanswered", "The Price of Beauty", "The Fallen", "No Pity for a Coward", "The Disease", "Bludgeoned to Death"... all of them are perfect for mindlessly banging my head, preferably while running the treadmill. This album will always hold a special place for me because of that.

Notable tracks:
Unanswered
The Fallen
The Disease
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I'll do my own Sumeriancore list sometime too, if you want. And I still defend it isn't deathcore.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
welp

As much as I really don't like a lot of their music (I've always dug "Unanswered", though), Suicide Silence are easily the best deathcore live act I've ever seen. They actually manage to sound heavy as fuck, which oh so many other deathcore bands fail to accomplish. I think it has something to do with their guitar tone. They've got more of a raw death metal tone compared to their peers.

I also probably like them live because they actually look metal as fuck, aside from Mitch obviously. Idk, I just like watching the constant pinwheel headbanging.

I must point out though that Mitch comes across to me that he needs to get his head out of his ass. I was reading some interview where he said something along the lines of "I don't write typical death metal lyrics that mean nothing, I write about shit that really matters."

Last edited by makethemsuffer12; 08-10-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
As much as I really don't like a lot of their music (I've always dug "Unanswered", though), Suicide Silence are easily the best deathcore live act I've ever seen. They actually manage to sound heavy as fuck, which oh so many other deathcore bands fail to accomplish. I think it has something to do with their guitar tone. They've got more of a raw death metal tone compared to their peers.

I also probably like them live because they actually look metal as fuck, aside from Mitch obviously. Idk, I just like watching the constant pinwheel headbanging.

I must point out though that Mitch comes across to me that he needs to get his head out of his ass. I was reading some interview where he said something along the lines of "I don't write typical death metal lyrics that mean nothing, I write about shit that really matters."
I think they're one of the worst bands I've ever seen and I hate the vocalist with a passion.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm90 View Post
I think they're one of the worst bands I've ever seen and I hate the vocalist with a passion.
Fair enough, I can see how its easy to hate Mitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post

I agree with pretty much all of this. They are definitely "heavy" live, and I'd argue its all in their guitar tone. Again, they mostly look metal as hell, which is awesome. Lots of windmilling.

Mitch is a great frontman, even though I'd agree he is an arrogant ass. Even live, he was one of those guys who kept yelling, "CIRCLE PIT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS! GET VIOLENT!" Which kind of annoys me. It gets the crowd going, though, which overall makes the show more fun. I'd argue that they were better at interacting with the crowd versus Acacia Strain and Whitechapel, for example.

Last edited by jd091; 08-10-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM
welp

I just like the stomp thing he does before a breakdown. It's stupid but mildly entertaining.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I never had the urge to get up onstage and beat the shit out of a singer.

Then I saw Suicide Silence.

If they're the best live deathcore band there is, that's a damn shame, because I count them as the worst band I've ever seen.