The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 AM
N00B

Hell on Earth tour -- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan -- July 29th, 2011

Hey all, I've been a long time lurker of Metal Setlists, I've been coming here for quite a long time to read setlists and get my metal news, but since I noticed a set from the town I go see the most concerts in I figured I'd maybe start contributing.

Funny note: On the way in they said over the PA system that they would not allow any moshing or crowd surfing at this show. When they said that everyone in line chuckled. You can't say there won't be any moshing at a Slayer show and expect that to be enforced.

EXODUS
The Ballad of Leonard and Charles
War Is My Shepherd
Blacklist
Bonded By Blood
The Toxic Waltz
Strike Of The Beast

This would be my second time seeing Exodus. The last time I saw them was on the Rust in Peace tour with Megadeth. I had high hopes for Exodus going into this and they definitely lived up to them. Say what you will, but Rob Dukes is a terrific frontman who knows how to get the crowd into the show. Exodus played to a very small crowd because most people were still on the way in or were planning on showing up later.

ROB ZOMBIE
Jesus Frankenstein
Superbeast
Scum of the Earth
Living Dead Girl
Super-Charger Heaven
More Human Than Human
Drum Solo
Mars Needs Women
Pussy Liquor
Demonoid Phenomenon
Sick Bubble-Gum
Thunder Kiss '65
Dragula

It's worth noting that Rob Zombie changed up his set a little bit from what he'd been playing most of the tour. This was my 3rd time seeing Zombie, and every time his shows just get bigger and better. It's also a fun show to see because him and the band put in so much energy. You get the feeling that Rob legitimately enjoys playing in Saskatoon since he has a stop here almost every tour. During Dragula the band came out in tunics with the Canadian flag on them.

SLAYER
World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Dittohead
Dead Skin Mask
Spirit in Black
Mandatory Suicide
Chemical Warfare
Silent Scream
Seasons in the Abyss
Snuff
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death

Finally, it was time for the all mighty Slayer. I had never gotten a chance to see them before and wasn't sure if I would up until now. As far as I know this was their first time in Saskatoon, I had never heard about anyone talking about going to a show before or find anything looking online. They were every bit as awesome as I could of hoped with a great blend of classics and new material. It sucked not being able to see Jeff Hanneman but Gary Holt was a good replacement. The crowd was packed in like sardines on the floor and I was pretty tired out from using up most of my energy during Rob Zombie and Exodus so I didn't mosh and just stood off to the side and watched.

If anyone is interested, I have some footage of Rob Zombie and Exodus up on my Youtube channel. I tried to film Slayer but only got about two minutes of War Ensemble before a security guard told me to stop filming so I didn't bother recording any more. Hope you enjoyed my review and I will try to start posting here more from now on.

Last edited by Christen; 08-01-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Sucks you got busted filming :-( That's happened to me before. Glad you had a good time

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 AM
N00B

This was a great show. I missed most of Exodus unfortunately, they started playing The Toxic Waltz a minute or two after I got into the venue.

Rob Zombie was awesome, hands down the best set from him I've seen so far (third time seeing him). He sounded way tighter than the other times, and it was cool to see the setlist get switched up... Demonoid Phenomenon was one of my favorite Zombie songs when I started listening to him ten years ago, so it was awesome to hear it live, wasn't expecting that at all.

And then Slayer just ruled. Saw them in Winnipeg a couple years ago, but I was up in the seats and recovering from swine flu, so not the best Slayer experience. This time I was on the floor and ready to go, and it was awesome finally being in a Slayer pit.

My only complaint was the sound, I thought it was super muddy and hard to hear the guitars and vocals at time, which was really distracting unfortunately. When I went up into the seats for a couple of Rob Zombie's songs the sound was pretty good, but on the floor it pretty much sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
Funny note: On the way in they said over the PA system that they would not allow any moshing or crowd surfing at this show. When they said that everyone in line chuckled. You can't say there won't be any moshing at a Slayer show and expect that to be enforced.
I didn't hear that (it was probably before I arrived), but I did see on the doors they had those signs with restricted items/actions, and included on them was "No moshing, crowd surfing, or aggressive behavior"
Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

So I'm guessing they couldn't enforce it, then?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 AM
N00B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-6V0mMVMc - there's your answer
Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
N00B

Ahahahaha I actually jumped in that wall of death this time because I was too scared to do it last time. Craziest pit I've ever been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarian13
Rob Zombie was awesome, hands down the best set from him I've seen so far (third time seeing him). He sounded way tighter than the other times, and it was cool to see the setlist get switched up... Demonoid Phenomenon was one of my favorite Zombie songs when I started listening to him ten years ago, so it was awesome to hear it live, wasn't expecting that at all.
This was my third time seeing Zombie as well. I went nuts when they played Super-Charger Heaven, I was not expecting that at all. He actually played Demonoid last year on the tour with Alice Cooper.

Last edited by Christen; 08-01-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
He actually played Demonoid last year on the tour with Alice Cooper.
I missed that tour unfortunately. Saw him with Anthrax in 06 and Ozzy Osbourne in 07, and he didn't play it either time.

Tags
exodus, rob zombie, slayer