Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014

Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Revisiting 2009

[I came up with a cool idea. Let's all find out top-ten lists we made back in '09, then let's see what our top-ten for 2009 would look like now, and compare.]

OLD

1. Mastodon- Crack The Skye
2. Slayer- World Painted Blood
3.Every Time I Die- New Junk Aesthetic
4. Lazarus A.D.- The Onslaught
5. Kylesa- Static Tensions
6. Daath- The Concealers
7. Brutal Truth- Evolution Through Revolution
8. Struck by Lightning- Serpents
9. Converge- Axe to Fall
10. Goatwhore- Carving Out The Eyes of God

NOW

1. Vektor – Black Future
Well I know I hadn’t heard this in 2009. For those who of you not in the know, Black Future is actually the greatest single album ever recorded in musical history. If you disagree, then come at me bro, by all means.

2. Goatwhore – Carving Out the Eyes of God
I LOVE Goatwhore. This album is just so damn good. The individual songs are fantastic, and extremely catchy to boot. The particular style is hard to pin down but I’d say it’s blackened death metal meets black n’ roll. My love for this has grown exponentially since 2009.

3. Necrophobic – Death to All
Hot damn! If you haven’t heard of these guys, check them out NOW. Swedish death metal crossed with blackened death metal. Yeah, it’s as good as it sounds. “Celebration of the Goat” and the title track are two of the best metal songs I have ever heard in my lifetime, but the rest of the album is almost just as good. I believe I did hear this is in 2009, but I must have not heard it enough to really make a good judgment because it didn’t even appear on my list.

4. Every Time I Die – New Junk Aesthetic
Okay, I know I will get flak for this one, not because it isn’t metal, but because it is common knowledge, among here anyway, that these guys suck. Well, they don’t. This album is good as fuck, and I don’t believe my opinion on it has really changed since.

5. Mastodon – Crack the Skye
So this album was my #1 pick back in ’09. What happened? I listened to it just a little too many times. I burned out on it, my friends, plain and simple. I haven’t listened to this album many times since. But even though it is still painful for me to listen to, there’s no doubt in my mind that this is still a fantastic album. “The Czar” and the title track are enough for me.

6. Revocation – Existence is Futile
I had definitely heard this album in 2009, but I don’t think I had listened to it enough times to really start enjoying it. Well, now I have listened to enough times, and, as you can see, I do enjoy it a lot. Revocation are basically tech-death to the max but everything about them screams thrash. I don’t know how to explain this any better, you’ll have to listen to it for yourself. There are some very good tracks on here, and some weaker ones, too. But the overall sound of the album is revolutionary, and that’s why I’m putting it on here.

7. Between the Buried and Me – The Great Misdirect
Hahaha. I had heard this in 2009, but I didn’t think it was that good, to tell you the truth. I’ve changed my mind since then, as you can see. This album is the only thing by them I can listen to the whole way through. Each and every song is incredible in its own way. Sure, some are better than others, but that isn’t exactly relevant anyways.

8. Anaal Nathrakh – In The Constellation of the Black Widow
I had not heard this in 2009. Good thing: my adolescent metal mind probably wouldn’t have been able to handle it. Don’t ask me to describe Anaal Nathrakh to you guys, because I don’t know how to. They sound like nothing I’ve heard before, and that is no lie. Some of the tracks do bore but the ones that don’t are mind-blowingly amazing. That’s the best I can do.

9. Tribulation – The Horror
I just discovered this album this year. REALLY, really good Swedish death metal that almost sounds like Finnish death metal sometimes. I can’t exactly remember any of the songs but what I can remember is that this is some of the best death metal you’ll ever hear in your lifetime.

10. Wormrot – Abuse

First heard this last year, I think. Not the best or most original grind album, but for what it is, it’s simply awesome. If you like grindcore and you haven’t heard Wormrot then get on this immediately.

Last edited by larvtard; 07-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post

2. Goatwhore Carving Out the Eyes of God
I LOVE Goatwhore. This album is just so damn good. The individual songs are fantastic, and extremely catchy to boot. The particular style is hard to pin down but Id say its blackened death metal meets black n roll. My love for this has grown exponentially since 2009.
Yeah, I didn't even hear this until early 2010 and it became one of my favorite albums. I ended up seeing them twice last year and they were awesome live as well.

I did a top 5 on my Last.fm so I'll adjust that to a Top 10.

Original Top 5:

1. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
2. Behemoth - Evangelion
3. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
4. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
5. Suffocation - Blood Oath

Adjusted Top 10:

1. Behemoth - Evangelion
I grew to love this album more and more with each listen, this definitely is my album of the year in hindsight.

2. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
This is Nile's best work by far I think. I've listened to this and Evangelion a crazy amount since 2009. I actually haven't listened to this one in a while though. I'll have to do that soon to remind myself why I love it so much.

3. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
I still like this album a lot, but the only songs I frequently come back to are The Czar and The Last Baron. The Czar is an amazing song though. I've listened to that song a crazy amount this year.

4. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
I almost forgot this album came out in 2009. I hadn't even heard about this band until summer of 2010, and by the end of 2010 they became one of my favorite bands. Their Mafia EP was my favorite release of 2010 by far. I saw them on tour with Suffocation and I can't wait to see them live again at Summer Slaughter. I'm also dying to hear their new album. It will be Top 5 this year for sure.

5. Goatwhore - Carving Out the Eyes of God
Like I said, I didn't listen to this one until 2010 when I was preparing for seeing them with Suffocation and DevilDriver and it blew me away. I got hooked on the title track, it's probably one of my most favorite songs of all-time.

6. Katatonia - Night is the New Day
I came very late to the party on this one. A couple months ago when I was seeking out more progressive bands to listen to I came across this band and this album. I had known about them before but never bothered to listen to them until now. I was missing out big time. This is a really awesome album and full of emotion. The final track Departer has some of the best clean vocals I've ever heard (I believe it's a guest vocalist for the part I have in mind though).

7. Dying Fetus - Descend into Depravity
So this ended up getting bumped down. I think this is Dying Fetus' best work since Destroy the Opposition, it's a big step up from War of Attrition which I didn't like much (Aside from Homicidal Retribution and Insidious Repression). But I definitely would have had Fleshgod Apocalypse, Goatwhore and Katatonia ahead of this if I had listened to those at the time.

8. Dethklok - Dethalbum II
I'm not sure why I didn't give this any sort of recognition in my original list. This is the only album I'm adding to the list that I actually listened to in 2009. I really like this album. I got to see them live that year too with Mastodon and it was a great performance. And I will be seeing them again at Mayhem Fest.

9. Revocation - Existence is Futile
Another album that I didn't listen to until after the fact. A great tech death/thrash album packed with tons of awesome riffs. I'm mad I missed out on them for the Forbidden tour.

10. Gama Bomb - Tales from the Grave in Space
I saw this band live at the end of 2010 and they were great. It wasn't until a few weeks after that show that this album really grew on me. It's great, fun thrash. I really love the vocals on this album.

So yeah, Suffocation - Blood Oath fell out of the Top 10. I think it's a good record, I just don't really find myself coming back to it that often. Also an honorable mention for Shadows Fall - Retribution. I was about to make that #10 until I realized that Tales from the Grave in Space came out in '09.

Great idea BTW. I really enjoyed digging through my library trying to adjust this list. Looking back, 2009 was even stronger than I thought at the time.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Headbanger

Interesting idea. I'm with you on Vektor and Mastodon. Vektor would be a lock for my Top 3, probably #1 and Mastodon would have trouble sniffing my Top 10. I just never listen to it.
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 07-03-2011, 06:42 AM

Nice list
and yeah, at first I wanted to do this for myself, but then I thought that this would be a cool thing for everybody else to do as well.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Every Time I Die Is great, not quite top 10 material for me, but they are still a great band and New Junk Asethic is a great record. Anyways here is my old and new lists.

Old
1.Between The Buried and Me-The Great Misdirect
2.Mastodon-Crack The Skye
3.The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate
4.Lamb Of God-Wrath
5.Megadeth-Endgame
6.Doom-Born Like This
7.God Forbid-Earthsblood
8.Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God
9.Skeletonwitch-Breathing The Fire
10.Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue

New
1.Between The Buried and Me-The Great Misdirect
2.Mastodon-Crack The Skye
3.The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate
4.Lamb Of God-Wrath
5.Revocation-Existence Is Futile
6.Behemoth-Evangellion
7.Megadeth-Endgame
8.Doom-Born Like This
9.God Forbid-Earthsblood
10.Skeletonwitch-Breathing The Fire
7/22 Converge

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Haven't seen Cobalt, Baroness, Blut Aus Nord, Ahab, Asphyx, etc.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 PM

I guess people really don't like this idea...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by logAnarchy View Post
I guess people really don't like this idea...
Maybe just too lazy. It actually took me a long time to make my list. I had to find out what I had listened to after the fact that came out in 2009. It's definitely worth doing though.

I'll have to check out the albums in your list that I haven't heard too. Necrophobic and Tribulation sound great. Also I've never listened to Vektor, so I should definitely listen to them finally.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Bringer of Darkness

1. Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
2. Cobalt - Gin
3. Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
4. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
5. YOB - The Great Cessation
6. Converge - Axe To Fall
7. Baroness - Blue Record
8. Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
9. Skeletonwitch - Breathing The Fire
10. Megadeth - Endgame
Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Born Again In Blasphemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb420 View Post
1. Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
2. Cobalt - Gin
3. Asphyx - Death... The Brutal Way
4. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
5. YOB - The Great Cessation
6. Converge - Axe To Fall
7. Baroness - Blue Record
8. Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
9. Skeletonwitch - Breathing The Fire
10. Megadeth - Endgame
I only listen to this album once and I can't remember anything. I need to listen to this more.

Last edited by OraclesofAgony; 07-03-2011 at 08:20 PM.